DPF for C8 2.2 (bonus Lexia question)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wheeler

Re: DPF for C8 2.2 (bonus Lexia question)

Post by wheeler »

With regards to the james bond smoke screen the eolys fluid is injected into the fuel tank not the DPF, if someone had filled the additive tank with diesel all it would be doing is injecting more diesel into the diesel tank.
With regards to the welds. The DPF can easily be split from the cat on these so if somone had gutted the insides out it there would be no need for welding.
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

FAP is guess work, it's based on miles you've driven as the car is assuming it's running out even if you've filled the FAP tank to max 1 hour ago! You have to tell the car via Lexia that it's refilled. If you don't it will think it's empty but that doesn't mean it's not working.
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

Also as for James Bond smoke.... that's no gunna happen (unfortunately)
Ryan

MixerFistit
Donor 2023

Post by MixerFistit »

Thanks for the replies. I would say the exhaust is a bit sooty although it is generally not putting out any smoke. So that seems like more evidence that it's been meddled with.
Wheeler, you're correct, I can see the bolted "seam" where the DPF is (was). As for the potential smoke screen, I assumed diesel was injected into dpf so it would burn like the catalyst on a Chinese diesel heater (and presumably the webasto), but as long as there's nothing to worry about that's great.
So it looks like after a quick health check, the only immediate things needed are the SRS sorting (has it's own thread), and some SERIOUS welding to the empty space that used to be the front offside jack point at one time. It also seems to be very low on power at first start. I've tried unplugging the egr vacuum solenoid and lexia reports it's still 5% open so it maybe unable to close fully. I'll try temporarily blanking it at the inlet manifold to see if it makes a difference and if it does, I'll know it's worth going into the back to get it cleaned. Not looking forward to that though, access looks horrible on this engine bay. Wipers off job by the looks. Any other thoughts always welcome.
2005 C8 2.2 HDI 4HW - 6 Seat, Exclusive

2006 Dispatch 2.0 HDi RHZ (SORN)
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with the vacuum pump located at the right hand side of the block, which changes it from 8v to 16v? Mine has a bolt in the pipe to create the vacuum constantly, if your diaphragm is leaking it could possibly cause low power early on. (It's posted elsewhere on the forum). Just out of interest how long have you been driving C8s for?
Ryan

MixerFistit
Donor 2023

Post by MixerFistit »

Thanks for that, I'll try look it up. This is a 2.2 so AFAIK they're all 16v.

Ive had Citroën diesels since a brand new 57 XPic. Since then I've had a few C4P 1.6 and 2.0, EGS(never again) and full auto 16 plate (great gearbox imo) .
I picked up a cheap 2.0 auto C8 a couple of years ago but as the gearbox was leaking (when cold) I chucked it away for a little more than I bought to we steal any car.
I've had an old face-lift dispatch 2.0 for a year and as it needed a steering rack and I missed my old c8, I grabbed another cheap one. This time a 2.2 6 seat exclusive. It had 2mth mot so thought it would hold value for scrap at the very least until I sorted the dispatch. Aside from welding and electrics and that low power on start, it is much better than expected so I've now switched my efforts to saving this large beast. I've got 2 months to learn how to weld. It's bugged me for some time that I never tried my hand at it so I'm going to have a practice on some thin sheets and hope I can do a passible job without blowing out more holes than I started with..
It's currently on 177k miles but cambelt and pump are only 40k old so hoping it's worth the effort

Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

I got my C8 2.2 at 80k mileage but engine was a recon at 50k. I'm still learning about her, which this forum is awesome for. So far I've refilled the FAP, done springs, figured out the bolt/screw in vacuum pipe, new starter motor, got Lexia for codes, sliding door not working.. sorted that. Low power, it was the MAF, she's now on 135k. And I will never get rid of her, I've fallen in love with her. Even the wife won't say anything bad about her....My son bad mouths her which means he loves her really.
Ryan

MixerFistit
Donor 2023

Post by MixerFistit »

That's great, 135k is nothing as long as the belts are good and the oil kept fresh, fingers crossed it gives you at least double that.

This is my first 2.2 so I'm still learning. My dispatch is the first 2.0 I've tinkered with and I can see similarities although to be for the 2.0 has never needed much. A vacuum solenoid valve swapping and blocking, belts and the only (what I would call) major repair was when I had to take the fuel pump off to strip and rebuild with new seals. Slightly nervy performing open heart surgery but very rewarding when it turned over first time. I wonder if these have the same pumps which suffer same issue (diesel leak for first 30s when cold).

I'd be interested in knowing a little more with the vacuum system. I do recall seeing something about a pipe perishing near the swirl flaps. Is your mod to bypass that? There's a good vacuum on the solenoids, my waste gate one was hot so swapped it with egr and put a bolt on the line there for now.
Also interested in how your engine performs. What sort of avg mileage are you getting (real world or computer).
When I was giving it a good blast I found mine sometimes seemed to stop accelerating at an undisclosed speed above 69 mph, then if a down hill assisted it, it would happily accelerate to where it was expected. I'm not expecting it to be a speed demon, and I'm not made of money so won't be tearing up bypasses like a fool in normal usage but it does feel like something is 'off' very slightly when it's pushed so just interested if it's normal or not.

Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

viewtopic.php?t=75138 Hope that works, yes swirl valve, I didn't do it it was done before i had her. Mileage wise she does really well considering the size of her. I always have her on MPG screen, she does 30 to 40 in town, on motorways in 6th gear I'd expect 65mpg
Ryan

MixerFistit
Donor 2023

Post by MixerFistit »

I saw on another thread you've invested in that Peter Russek manual. Is it worth the money?

Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

It's a really strange book as in it won't show you how to do brake changes etc. But wanna do the belts then it's really detailed. Well worth the money imo if you can handle the normal service side of motoring. Definitely not for a novice like a Haynes manual. I would put 'this' Peter Russek book as a 'Mechanics Aid'
Ryan

Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

Oh it also has electrical diagrams which only AntMan can read.
Ryan

MixerFistit
Donor 2023

Post by MixerFistit »

That was a concern when you emphasised on the pocket size haha
It's a shame there's no Haynes for these beasts, i took the offer on the online "Autofix" version for my last c8 and it doesn't really have much for me and IMHO not even worth the £20 I ended up paying (instead of £30!).
And probably much better off with the workshop service booklets available for donors on this site along with it's fantastic support.

Take the Autofix EGR removal/installation instructions for example (copied and pasted except for the basic engine drawing):

General
Check the EGR valve; renew if necessary

Renew the seals

Renew the EGR cooler hose clamp

Removal
Remove the engine lower cover

Disconnect the EGR vacuum hose

Remove the EGR pipe clamp

*Drawing of engine block here with EGR highlighted*

Move the EGR assembly aside

Remove the EGR valve

Remove the seal

Installation
Installation is in the reverse order of removal

Torque settings
EGR valve

I've seen 10x more in depth guides on this forum from members that have given it a go themselves.

Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

Oh wow that is bad, this book is better than that. It has a fault finding section, gives all fluid measurements depending on engine but it's not for a novice. If you can't change your own brake pads then this isn't for you. If you can then it's well worth the fiver from eBay.
Ryan