P1B23 Waterpump of the drive train

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kevmax1uk
Donor 2024

P1B23 Waterpump of the drive train

Post by kevmax1uk »

Hi everyone
Sorry If this has been discussed somewhere but I have tried search with no luck. I have the message P1B23 and P1B26 water pump of the drive train cooling circuit. Does anyone know where this secondary water pump is located. Many thanks in advance
Kev
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: P1B23 Waterpump of the drive train

Post by RichardW »

Welcome along which car / engine? I have assumed the DS5, and moved this into Citroen.. If it's the DS5, Post up the VIN ( it will auto hide) and we can dig out a parts diagram.
Richard W
kevmax1uk
Donor 2024

Post by kevmax1uk »

I have the DS5 hybrid 2013 2.0 and the VIN number is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] and many thanks Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As you have a Hybrid Traction Control model and these faults concerns the water cooling circuit for the hybrid traction system. So there are 2 different water pumps, one for the main combustion engine as with normal cars and a separate one for the traction system and it is this one that has the issues.
DS5 Hybrid traction water.png
The system is shown at (6) Electric Water Pump, part: 9807176780, £249.41

Fault codes are as below, but will be bad news if it's the actual Hybrid Control ECU, as this is integrated into the traction battery and not available separately.
Fault Code: P1B23
Description of Fault: Waterpump of the drive train cooling circuit : Stopping of the engine due to a fault. The status of the drive train cooling system water pump is between 88% and 90% for 5 s.

Conditions of activation of the diagnostics
The following conditions have to be met:
- Ignition on
- Indicator lamp READY lit
Conditions for Fault to clear:
  • Disappearance of the fault after 1 seconds
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Warning lamp STOP
Symptoms:
  • Lack of power
  • Jerking/stalling (Stopping the vehicle)
  • Absence of automatic stopping of the internal combustion engine
  • Absence of the electric mode
Suspect Areas:
  • Hybrid control ECU
  • Waterpump of the drive train cooling circuit
  • Electrical harnesses
  • Connectors

Fault Code: P1B26
Description of Fault: Water pump of the drive train cooling circuit: Warning. The status of the drive train cooling system water pump is between 4% and 6% for 5 s.

Conditions of activation of the diagnostics
The following conditions have to be met:
- Ignition on
- Indicator lamp READY lit
Conditions for Fault to clear:
  • Disappearance of the fault after 1 seconds
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Warning lamp STOP
Symptoms:
  • Lack of power
  • Jerking/stalling (Stopping the vehicle)
  • Absence of automatic stopping of the internal combustion engine
  • Absence of the electric mode
Suspect Areas:
  • Hybrid control ECU
  • Waterpump of the drive train cooling circuit
  • Electrical harnesses
  • Connectors
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
kevmax1uk
Donor 2024

Post by kevmax1uk »

Thank you very much nothing has been changed yet just wanted to see where this pump is and confirm if it’s knackered
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I've updated my post, with the diagram above, but be aware there are special procedures for draining and refilling this circuit and specifically for tools for degassing it correctly.

Marc
kevmax1uk
Donor 2024

Post by kevmax1uk »

Thanks again I will try and search for info and tools to do it correctly but not a lot of info out there about it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If I get time today, I can put a guide together for you on replacing it along with the draining and refilling of the system, along with the degassing procedure.

Check back here later today / evening and I'll put a link here to the guide when I've finished it.

Marc
kevmax1uk
Donor 2024

Post by kevmax1uk »

That will be great and thanks 🙏. I have also checked the part number and this looks like the one for DS5 1.6 petrol. I have looked the one on my car and it looks like part number 9673079080 unless there was an upgrade. I will check later for the link.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, that's not the correct part - I've already provided the correct part number in my previous post (under the diagram) from your VIN.

Note that the part number I provided is for the complete module ('A', '7' & '8'). 'A' is not provided separately by Citroen / DS

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

kevmax1uk wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 13:33 That will be great and thanks 🙏. I have also checked the part number and this looks like the one for DS5 1.6 petrol. I have looked the one on my car and it looks like part number 9673079080 unless there was an upgrade. I will check later for the link.
Ok, it took a few hours to write up, so a bit longer than I expected. There is the main procedure here:

DS5 Hybrid Traction Low Pressure Coolant Pump Replacement which has links in for the related procedures for undoing the various unions and for the draining and refilling of the low temp. coolant circuit.

Marc
kevmax1uk
Donor 2024

Post by kevmax1uk »

Hi Marc thanks for that I have ordered another water pump and I also need to add DPF additive which is next to the pump so will kill 2 birds with one stone. If you dm me your PayPal account I will make sure you don’t go thirsty this weekend. I will report back how I get on hopefully this Saturday
stephenjohnsharp
Donor 2024

Post by stephenjohnsharp »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 21:57
kevmax1uk wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 13:33 That will be great and thanks 🙏. I have also checked the part number and this looks like the one for DS5 1.6 petrol. I have looked the one on my car and it looks like part number 9673079080 unless there was an upgrade. I will check later for the link.
Ok, it took a few hours to write up, so a bit longer than I expected. There is the main procedure here:

DS5 Hybrid Traction Low Pressure Coolant Pump Replacement which has links in for the related procedures for undoing the various unions and for the draining and refilling of the low temp. coolant circuit.
Hi Marc, I have a similar problem, my car is reporting codes P0A35 (overheating electric motor). My coolant leaked out near the rear battery. I've sealed the leak but it needs bleeding again. Please could you also share the "special procedures for draining and refilling this circuit" procedure with me (Thread 80975). Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards, Steve (North Wales)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Steve, check your Private Messages

Marc