407 es9 v6 -battery warning light comes on when really cold

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Donor 2023

407 es9 v6 -battery warning light comes on when really cold

Post by 407 »

So I've had the battery waring light come on a fe wtimes in the last few weeks but only in the mornings on the way to work when its cold (eg 7/8 C) and only after driving say 1 km.

Car starts fine.

I tend to turn around to go back home (just in case) but half way back home it disappears.

Ive stuck a voltage monitor and it read 11 volts when the battery light is on but 14.3 volts when it goes out.

Ive disconnected and refitted any cables I can find just it case it was a connector issue.

MIL light does not come on

Alternator was rebuilt a year ago and has been running fine since then and battery is a year old

Any ideas ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: 407 es9 v6 -battery warning light comes on when really cold

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There's obviously a problem with either the alternator or the charging circuit if it is intermittently charging. I'm assuming you've checked the battery terminal cables and traced these back and checked the earthing points?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I suspect that there is a fault in the rebuilt alternator, perhaps sticky brushes. If it has a warranty, I woul exercise that option first.
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

I would definitely check the alternator first. Only thing I would question after that is what time do you leave for work, could it of reached 0 degrees? If so I would look at putting a battery quilt/jumper/insulation box around the battery.
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Post by PaulC5 »

I would check the battery voltage in the morning before the engine is started just in case it is faulty or needs a full charge due to short trips. Fully charged it will be about 12.7 volts but lower than about 12.5 volts needs charging.
Previously I have looked at the effect of low temperatures on battery voltage and it barely makes a difference so covering the battery with a blanket should not be needed.
You can also check for a slipping auxiliary belt for the alternator.
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

PaulC5 wrote: 22 Jul 2023, 22:08 I would check the battery voltage in the morning before the engine is started just in case it is faulty or needs a full charge due to short trips. Fully charged it will be about 12.7 volts but lower than about 12.5 volts needs charging.
Previously I have looked at the effect of low temperatures on battery voltage and it barely makes a difference so covering the battery with a blanket should not be needed.
You can also check for a slipping auxiliary belt for the alternator.
Thanks for that info, as I don't use my car much I found battery drain was an issue in cold weather
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
Donor 2023

Post by 407 »

Just to close this off

Other than putting this issue up onto the forum, I did nothing and the issue has not reappeared albiet it may have got a bit warmer since then.

Seems putting it up on the Forum is a better option that trying to fix it :)
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I just had a thought that it could be the rubber section of the crankshaft pulley is delaminating
It is very common on these engines, but usually they squeel when cold. Paint a radial line on the face of the pulley from the inner to the outer section and check occasionally that it hasn't slipped.