407 hdi 2.7 leaking thermostat t piece 1351KT - options

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Donor 2023

407 hdi 2.7 leaking thermostat t piece 1351KT - options

Post by 407 »

So I've notice a bit of a dribble on the T piece at the joint that holds the thermostat sensor and distributes the water around the engine.
dribble 1351KT T peice.JPG
The part 1351KT seems like it is only sold is a complete hose set, although I only need the T piece.
1351KT hose .jpg
Seems this is a known issue and will only get worse with age.
cracked 1351KT.jpg
Here in Australia it will cost me around AUD$300 from the EU (sold in EU for around EU130 plus shipping / taxes).

A second hand one is likely to have the same joint issues.

I'll look at getting it plastic welded and see if that solves it at least for the short term.

I'm toying with just replacing the T piece with a 25mm equal stainless steel Tee (AUD$7) or 22mm plastic Tee ($AUD2) with a couple of hose clamps / a rubber hose joiner to the engine and finding somewhere else to put the thermostat sensor (probably into the aluminium fins of the radiator for max heat transfer) or machining a screwed fitting into the stainless steel Tee to suit.
25mm stainless steel T.jpg
Anyone have any other suggestions / other work arounds / after market tips ?
Donor 2023

Re: 407 hdi 2.7 leaking thermostat t piece 1351KT - options

Post by 407 »

I cut the plastic retainers (why did they not just use spring clamps ?) off the old pipe to see if I could reuse them only to find a) thermostat broke offand b) the rest of the plastic was so brittle that it just fell apart when I pulled the pipe away.

So after looking at the options including a 4 way cross 25mm stainless steel piece, only to find that the rear EGR pipe was 19 mm, I bit the bullet and ordered a new 1351KT pipe from Eurofrance ( E128 delivered)

It took around 2 hours to fit - most of the time was spent trying to clamp onto and open the rear EGR cooler spring clip which is nigh impossible to reach / get any sort of pliers around.

I finally found a small set of adjustable pliers that would fit and not get pushed up against the fire wall, and then promptly lost them behind the engine somewhere.

At least the new 1351KT pipe comes with preloaded spring clamps that you just fit and snap the yellow retainer off.

Some holiday snaps attached

Given the brittle state of the plastic (eg after 16 years), I would recommend anyone with this engine to replace this pipe asap.
Attachments
rear ERG cooler pipe target behind the engine
rear ERG cooler pipe target behind the engine
broken plastic
broken plastic
more broken plastic just waiting to fail
more broken plastic just waiting to fail