C4 Gearbox fault, Esp fault, no wheel speed Front right

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jassooo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 207 1.6hdi 2009, Citroen C4 1.6hdi 2007

C4 Gearbox fault, Esp fault, no wheel speed Front right

Post by Jassooo »

Hi all, I have C4 1.6hdi 6 speed robot gearbox, year 2007, driven 223000km. Neighbour first had issue with cruise control and then had gearbox fault, esp fault. Gearbox is in failsafe mode and change only to third gear from steering wheel paddles and then up from stick when put to N and back to D. When reading wheels speeds with tester all other speeds are ok but right front shows zero always. ABS sensor and bearing with magnetic thing replaced. Also slaved a new ”should be functional” ABS unit from donor car with same specs but no help. Other notifications that Right tail light and brake light not working, tried new bulbs, no help.
Bearing with abs ring should be good quality due I bought it from good citroen/peugeot spare part shop. Fault codes as follows;
P1394, P0500, U0415, U1213, P0919, C1330 those are related to driving issues. Then there was also
098A, 098B, front side light faults even everything in front was working.
Can you find a wiring diagram for VIN VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] please to measure the wires from abs sensor to abs ecu?
Checked also the big wiring harness behind the battery as stated in one youtube video, didnt took it open 100% until firewall. Left it wrapped 5cm from firewall but pulled all wires quite hard and no wire snapped at least, same from inside and no findings so far. My tester shows in dynamic information all unit voltage and pressures etc ok for my knowledge. Only missing is the right wheel speed. Thanks already if more tips and tricks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C4 Gearbox fault, Esp fault, no wheel speed Front right

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Here are the fault descriptors that I have for you.

Of course, if there is a fault with one or more of the vehicle speed sensors, then the ESP ECU will cut all speed-related features like the cruise control. Furthermore the engine will reduce power as noted with fault P0500.

So you can see there is a knock-on effect whilst you have this issue that will also affect the piloted gearbox.

I would back track on your ABS work and ensure that the ABS speed sensors are all working, the wiring is not corroded and the pug sockets of the connections are all checked for the pin conditions (we have seen this here plenty of times where there is a loose or corroded pin in one of the electrical connectors).

Check all these including the connection to the ESP ECU and Gearbox ECU (again we have seen problems where work has been undertaken in the engine bay and wiring connectors have been damaged or removed and not fitted back properly.

U0415: Fault in the information transmitted by the ECU ABS

P0919: Gearbox fault - The gear cannot be disengaged

P1394: Gearbox ECU fault: Cruise control / speed limiter off request (from the gearbox)

Fault Code: U1213
Description of Fault: CAN communication: ESP torque request error. Request for incorrect torque.
Conditions for Fault to clear: Ignition on
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active: None
Symptoms: None
Suspect Areas: CAN network

Fault Code: C1330
Description of Fault: Front right wheel speed sensor signal fault : Open circuit, short circuit to positive, short circuit to earth. The signal from the wheel speed sensor is monitored by the ESP ECU every 20 milliseconds.
Possibility 1: Short circuit to earth
Possibility 2: Open circuit
Possibility 3: Front right wheel speed sensor: Not supplied
Conditions of activation of the diagnostics: Ignition switched on.
Conditions for Fault to clear: The data supplied by the front right wheel speed sensor is valid.
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Immediate cutting of all the speed control functions.
  • The electronic brakeforce distribution function is in down-grade mode
  • ESP/ASR indicator lamp
Symptoms:
  • Lighting of the ABS and ESP warning lamps.
  • If 3 sensors are faulty: The vehicle speed is no longer displayed on the instrument panel
Suspect Areas:
  • Connectors
  • Electrical harness
  • Front right wheel speed sensor

Fault Code: P0500
Description of Fault: Vehicle speed signal : Value received incorrect. The vehicle speed information is higher than the maximum threshold for 1,2 seconds.
Conditions for Fault to clear: Switching on of the ignition.
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • The ECU limits the fuel flow (Regulation of the engine speed to 1250 rpm)
  • Cutting of cruise control
Symptoms:
  • Lack of power
  • Jerking/stalling
  • The vehicle speed is no longer displayed on the instrument panel
Suspect Areas:
  • ESP ECU
  • Speed sensor
  • Electrical harness
  • Connections
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Post by Doo »

Jassooo wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 12:01 Hi all, I have C4 1.6hdi 6 speed robot gearbox, year 2007, driven 223000km. Neighbour first had issue with cruise control and then had gearbox fault, esp fault. Gearbox is in failsafe mode and change only to third gear from steering wheel paddles and then up from stick when put to N and back to D. When reading wheels speeds with tester all other speeds are ok but right front shows zero always. ABS sensor and bearing with magnetic thing replaced. Also slaved a new ”should be functional” ABS unit from donor car with same specs but no help. Other notifications that Right tail light and brake light not working, tried new bulbs, no help.
Bearing with abs ring should be good quality due I bought it from good citroen/peugeot spare part shop. Fault codes as follows;
P1394, P0500, U0415, U1213, P0919, C1330 those are related to driving issues. Then there was also
098A, 098B, front side light faults even everything in front was working.
Can you find a wiring diagram for VIN VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] please to measure the wires from abs sensor to abs ecu?
Checked also the big wiring harness behind the battery as stated in one youtube video, didnt took it open 100% until firewall. Left it wrapped 5cm from firewall but pulled all wires quite hard and no wire snapped at least, same from inside and no findings so far. My tester shows in dynamic information all unit voltage and pressures etc ok for my knowledge. Only missing is the right wheel speed. Thanks already if more tips and tricks.
Having literally gone through some issues with my car, may I suggest you check all connecting plugs & sockets, be they headlamps, tail lamps or at the underbonnet fuse box (which is another computer. Of course, it may well be a dirty connector, but my car couldn't "find' the gearbox because I literally hadn't connected the headlamps!! :shock: :shock:

So if you have a break in the wiring, the comms wont get through.

The ABS plug connectors are generally good, but if the wire gets trapped at can chafe, which would create a grounding fault or they could be touching each other which would create a similar fault.

We had an issue a few years ago when the fuse connectors in the engine bay had been subject to trees dropping tree stuff :-D but it created damp environment which gave us some strange issues.

Hope this helps :)
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
Jassooo
(Donor 2022)

Re: FIXED. C4 Gearbox fault, Esp fault, no wheel speed Front right

Post by Jassooo »

Hi thanks from the tips, so eventually firtsly replaced the ABS sensor from big car part supply chain store here in Finland and that didnt fix it. Then replaced the bearing with magnetic sensor ring, no fix. Dig through wire bundles and finally today had time to measure the wires from ABS unit plug to ABS sensor and all ok 1.9 ohms. So finally went again to very good small Citroen Peugeot part shop were the guys have been selling parts for 25 years and asked for a 100% sure working ABS sensor and they sold me OE sensor. Installed that and it bloody fixed the issue! Wasted hours due non good aftermarket sensor!
Please buy always OE or known good aftermarket parts for your own sake 😄
Thanks from the assistance!
Jassooo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Jassooo »

Well its not fixed anymore. After 10 days, gearbox fault and same what was before came back. Same fault code, R front wheel ABS sensor and wheel speed missing. Checked the left abs sensor just in case if my reader is crazy. On left was lots of dirt on top of the magnetic ring, cleaned and swapped the R and L sensors but fault still on right. I guess this car is going bother someone else now, teying to sell it for spares or something. Start to believe that something can be wrong in BSM also and those engine fuse/relayboxes are not manufactured anymore.
gwest
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: Daihatsu Rocky diesel 1984
2013 Citroen DS5 THP165
2011 DS3 THP 150

Post by gwest »

All very discouraging. Re: Other notifications that Right tail light and brake light not working, tried new bulbs, no help.
Were the lights actually working and the warnings just phantom ones?
Doo
(Donor 2022)
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2

Post by Doo »

Jassooo wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 20:23 Well its not fixed anymore. After 10 days, gearbox fault and same what was before came back. Same fault code, R front wheel ABS sensor and wheel speed missing. Checked the left abs sensor just in case if my reader is crazy. On left was lots of dirt on top of the magnetic ring, cleaned and swapped the R and L sensors but fault still on right. I guess this car is going bother someone else now, teying to sell it for spares or something. Start to believe that something can be wrong in BSM also and those engine fuse/relay boxes are not manufactured anymore.
The only possibility could be the wheel bearing isn't O/E quality or the connector plug is dirty (which would create a high resistance) or a wire has chafed between the plug and the under bonnet computer fuse box.

We had a Laguna 2 in a work (back in 2010) with a new rear wheel bearing and it didn't re-set the ABS light. I told the boss that it HAD to be O/E or the Laguna would throw up a fault code... Sure enough, the guy returned next day, I fitted one from the dealer and the light extinguished by the time I had reversed off the ramp & driven to the reception door 8-)
Doo
(Donor 2022)
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2

Post by Doo »

gwest wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 08:06 All very discouraging. Re: Other notifications that Right tail light and brake light not working, tried new bulbs, no help.
Were the lights actually working and the warnings just phantom ones?
This can be caused by grot on the bulb cradle connectors! Even a tiny bit of white on the silver connection will create high resistance and fool the system into "thinking" a bulb has blown.

A pain it the hoop, but can be fixed with a cardboard nail file or switch cleaner & the end of a small flat screwdriver to scrape the grot away (MAKE SURE lights are switched OFF or you'll blow a fuse if you short out the connectors).
Jassooo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Jassooo »

Thanks from the brainstorming, I measures the ABS sensor wires from the sensor to ABS module and both of the wires were 1,9 ohms so I didnt start to dig in more. The system worked for a two days after replacing the OE sensor, then had intermitten fault again and then 7 days later all same faults came back and never had those cleares again. Swapped left and right sensors but fault stayed on the right. Tail lights I never checked again.
Just sold the car last sunday ”as is” and told about the faults and history etc and was surprised how many wantet to buy it. So not more my problem
😄 Neighbour bought DS4 2012 1.6eHdi so lets see what that will in future 😄