Citroen C3 Power Steering Issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RDaniels72
New User
My Cars: Citroen C3

Citroen C3 Power Steering Issue

Post by RDaniels72 »

Hello, I have a problem with the power steering in a citroen c3 1.4 petrol 2005. Namely, since a week when my wife turned the steering wheel as far as it would go, the power steering stopped working. I have checked the fuses and they are good, the controller which is in the battery housing is also good, the motor which is on the steering pinion is also good (when connected directly to the battery it turns). Hence my question is there still a steering sensor in it? If so, where? And it would be best if someone had a diagram of the power steering. Please help as I don't know where to look.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C3 Power Steering Issue

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There's not much you can do with these if it has packed up short of a replacement unit. The torque sensor is not sold separately - it's a complete unit. But I would first get a proper diagnostic with Lexia / Diagbox and when you do, pop the fault codes up along with the VIN, so we can get a better idea of the issue.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
ozvtr
My Cars: Citroen C2 VTR
Citroen C3 SX
Citroen C3 in bits

Re: Citroen C3 Power Steering Issue

Post by ozvtr »

RDaniels72 wrote: 05 Aug 2022, 05:55 the controller which is in the battery housing is also good,
How did you test that?

The steering system is usually fairly reliable.
Classic causes of failures are:
Loss of power in the charging system. Battery or alternator. How old is your battery?
Power to the steering, only left OR right. Torque transducer failure. This requires replacement of the steering rack.

The main power for the steering system comes from a "maxifuse" under the BSM (the fuse box in the engine bay). The pre-facelift cars were MF-8, sorry don't know which maxifuse is for the facelift models.
The big black 2 pin connector at the controller should have 12V there all the time.