1.4Hdi Crank seal issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Johndoc90
My Cars: Citroen Nemo 1.4hdi

1.4Hdi Crank seal issues

Post by Johndoc90 »

Hi guys, thanks for the add. Wondering if aanyone can help me here. The main crankshaft seal failed contaminating the clutch. New clutch and seal fitted, problem arrisen again. :shock: I have the box out and about to fit another seal, it is possible I messed up with the first one, but I would be greatful for any tips in fitting it, eg use of lube or sealers. The other consideration is the the crankcase pressure, I have taken of the cover and the diaphram in the breather looks ok, but, would this cause backpressure anyway? The engine has only done 75K and regularly serviced so i don't suspect ring wear. although cant rule it out. TIA
Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Re: 1.4Hdi Crank seal issues

Post by Doo »

Johndoc90 wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 15:50 Hi guys, thanks for the add. Wondering if aanyone can help me here. The main crankshaft seal failed contaminating the clutch. New clutch and seal fitted, problem arrisen again. :shock: I have the box out and about to fit another seal, it is possible I messed up with the first one, but I would be greatful for any tips in fitting it, eg use of lube or sealers. The other consideration is the the crankcase pressure, I have taken of the cover and the diaphram in the breather looks ok, but, would this cause backpressure anyway? The engine has only done 75K and regularly serviced so i don't suspect ring wear. although cant rule it out. TIA
If you get a seal from PSA (comes in a black square packet) it's the type you do not oil! Fit it on and the seal shrinks with the build up of heat when the shaft spins.

If you use a standard spring seal, oil it liberally and ensure it is square as it goes on.

However, in both instances, check the end of the shaft isn't contaminated with rust or gouges from previous damage.
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
Johndoc90
My Cars: Citroen Nemo 1.4hdi

Re: 1.4Hdi Crank seal issues

Post by Johndoc90 »

Thanks Doo that is really helpful