Running a C1 engine outside its normal home

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

erythrocyte
My Cars: citroen deux cheveux

Running a C1 engine outside its normal home

Post by erythrocyte »

I have a project, and old minidigger which used to have a mitsubishi diesel engine. said engine blew up, too uneconomical to repair, impossible to get parts for.

I was looking at some of the Citroen C1 petrol engines & size-wise they look ideal as a possible replacement.

Can these engines run easily enough outside of an actual Citroen C1? At one point I was looking at the Merc / Smart Car engines for the purpose but they won't play ball unless a whole slew of IT requirements are met.. not only the ECU has to recognise the right engine for the car, the ECU also interlinks with other computers in the car all of which scream at it not to have any truch with the engine if it's not in the right vehicle, such that before you know it you'd have to have half the Smart Car in a trolley trailing behind the digger.

So if I had a bare C1 engine off say Ebay, what additional items/programming etc would I have to do to make it operate?
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Running a C1 engine outside its normal home

Post by bobins »

Whilst it'd undoubtedly be possible in the end to get a C1 engine to run, it's power / rpm characteristics might not suit. I know the C1/Aygo/107 are used as race cars (yes, really !) and some of these are fairly stripped out, so you might get a better idea of what's required to get a stripped down engine to run if you come at it from the race car angle.
In the end though, you might be better off getting one of the ubiquitous Kubota diseasel engines to fit and run.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
erythrocyte
My Cars: citroen deux cheveux

Post by erythrocyte »

Thanks.. I was thinking C1 over Kubota because they tend to be a lot less expensive for a good one, and there's a lot more choice to pick from.

I'll try and post the horsepower chart for the K3B.
k3b-characteristics.jpg
I guess a Kubota D722, D782, D902, D905 would fit best if I can find one?
MattBLancs
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.2 HDi Exclusive 173 6speed (daily family practical wagon),
Peugeot 406 Coupe SE 2.0 137 5speed (& originally auto), (former daily off the road for some TLC)
Peugeot 206 GTi-HDi 1.6 110 5speed (my wife's daily)
Peugeot 306 HDi Dturbo 2.0 90 5speed (long term project to reinstate inner wings, former daily. Too sentimental to let it go!)

Post by MattBLancs »

Is the equally commonly available (and hence cheap) 1.4 HDI (the DV4) not a better potential option?

Fitted to loads of PSA vehicles. No particulate filter, turbo but no intercooler to contend with. Not sure if has a dual mass flywheel (or indeed if you'd need to retain the flywheel in your application - driving a hydraulic pump)

No idea how easily it's transplanted into something new, but am sure I've read of a 205 with a HDi transplant, so seems it is do able.

Matt