C5 Mk1 Facelift Head Unit Problem \ Replace with android?

This unit is the RD4 or RD45 system, made by Continental.
Usually standard equipment unless another system is specified as an option. There are Single & Dual Tuner versions. RD45 features over the RD4: The RD45 has USB connectivity & integrated Bluetooth module supporting Phone & Audio Streaming.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

careca
My Cars: Citroen C5 II 2005 2.0 HDI 136Hp
Astra H 1.3 CDTI

C5 Mk1 Facelift Head Unit Problem \ Replace with android?

Post by careca »

Hi users!

I have an issue with my radio/head unit in my c5 from 2005, the head unit is the Blaupunkt PSA RD4 X3 N1.
The issue is that it no longer responds to the numbers (radio station saved presets), or to most of the buttons, but curiously it does respond to the button "band"
which is on top of the button labeled "dark", but when i press "band" it does as if i had pressed "dark".

It's the only button that works, this band one, and it darkens the screen and i can cycle it through the 3 states, normal, dark, off.

Also another thing, the screen randomly changes this state, by itself, from normal to darker to off, back to normal etc.

I think the head unit has some issue, but i was wondering, instead of replacing it with another one, or if some kind of reset doesn't work, how can i replace it with an android radio?

I have searched aliexpress but i only find canbus boxes for the c5 from 2008 - + aka mk2.

Does the Mk1 c5 even use canbus? Is it possible to replace the radio while keeping the "steering wheel" controls, parking sensor beeps etc?

PS: Do not have a lexia yet, planing on ordering one soon.
Attachments
s-l16002.thumb.jpg.e596761599f19ac7d5e854242bd23f0b.jpg
s-l1600.thumb.jpg.2e368e8cc93cc2ba62726084c806a4c8.jpg
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: C5 Mk1 Facelift Head Unit Problem \ Replace with android?

Post by wheeler »

Your radio is from a mk2 model (2005-2008). This is a full CAN radio. It was more than just a facelift it got in 2005 & one of the changes along with the facelift was completely changing the electrical architecture to full CAN.
The 2008 model would be regarded as a mk3.
I recently upgraded the stereo to an Android unit in my 4007 & the only thing i have lost is the CD player (as it's not 2002 anymore this doesn't bother me) but i have gained so many more features. Everything else works completely normally & the steering controls are fully programable, you can even change the buttons to do different things. Im not saying this would be the same on your C5 as there is a bit more integration but for me loosing the parking sensors beeps through the radio would be an easy trade off.
I didnt need Lexia at all to install it either.
careca
Astra H 1.3 CDTI

Post by careca »

Thank you for the reply.
When you got the radio for your 4007, did it came with the canbus box? Or did you get the box separately? Where did you get it?
I guess i also wouldn't mind losing the parking beep, since i'd still have the screen, but i just cant find one anywhere!
I mentioned lexia because, from my understanding, if i wanted to replace this stock unit with another one used, i'd need lexia to match the vin in order for it to work.
Also i assume, but have not confirmed that lexia can do many things, the pertaining one being, maybe a reset to modules?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I got mines from Ali Express. I researched this a bit first & from what i could gather there is a bit of confusion of what a ‘CAN bus box’ is or does. From what i worked out the ‘CAN bus box’ is designed for vehicles with the factory fitted audio amplifier & subwoofer. It appears to have nothing to do with steering controls etc.
Mines never came with a CAN box & i never fitted one. Everything works perfectly & my car is full CAN multiplexed. You need to set up the steering controls in the settings menu, you just learn each button to the command you want it to do.

You would need Lexia if you were fitting a different OEM radio in but you dont need it to install an android unit.
careca
Astra H 1.3 CDTI

Post by careca »

EDIT: I read your post again, and it seems like the radio you got is programmable, nice!
From what i read around, it seems like the canbus box is a decoder, that is able to "intercept" button presses from the steering wheel and such.
Maybe i don't need a canbus decoder, maybe a headunit like yours could work.
What is the brand?

In this post a user notes that after replacing the radio, the steering controls no longer worked.
https://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/threads ... dio.56098/
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Just checked & mines is a Vtopek brand. There was 2 options, it said to pick the CANbus option if you have the factory fitted Rockford Fosgate amp which i dont have. Like I said mines has no additional boxes. It pretty much just plugged straight in.