AdBlue filling newbie questions

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: DS DS5 2.0 180BHP Prestige 2016
Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.6 90BHP XTR 2014
Both in black, we could start an economy brand undertakers

AdBlue filling newbie questions

Post by NotAnInterestingName »

I'm all new to this exciting new world of AdBlue. Hopefully these are nice easy questions...

What's the best way of pouring it into that filler cap in the bottom of the boot? I've seen the 10L bottles that come with a flexi-spout, but I'd still imagine that it would start flowing before you'd managed to get it in. Is there some kind of special funnel that connects onto it?

Also - how do you tell when it's full, without overflowing it all over the bodywork?

Is there a best place to buy it? I'd prefer to fill at home, rather than in a petrol station with the driver behind getting impatient.

I currently have absolutely no idea of how much is in there, no warnings on the dash but do like the idea of regularly topping up to (hopefully) prevent issues.

Thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: AdBlue filling newbie questions

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so you obviously have the boot floor filler type. I buy 10 litres at a time and top up each month. I don't like leaving the tank to get empty, allowing air to get in and possibly allow crystallisation on any of the metallic parts - as these will rust and eventually fail.

As for filling, even though I have a filler next to my Diesel filler, I bought a plastic funnel type cannister with a long flexible pipe and cap on the end. It has a wide lid so easy to poor from the 10 litre container into the smaller plastic vessel. Then I just insert the long flexible pipe into the Adblue filler neck and poor, listening to the noise and judging when it's near the top.

In my case there is an overflow, so if I misjudge it, the excess just exits through the overflow pipe onto the road.

Never use an Adblue pump from a garage that is designed for vans and lorries - these are high pressure pumps designed for commercial systems and using one will very likely damage the pump or other components inside the tank.

I bought mine from Halfrauds when there was a deal on - but be wary this stuff has a shelf life so don't stock up. In future I'll just be buying the 10L cannisters, which will do me for a year.

As for the level, it will warn you when you get too low and the mileage countdown will start, where starting will be inhibited if not topped up. I personally would not allow it to get low and my strategy is to top it up monthly along with the washer fluid and other checks I do.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Thanks again!

Yes, it's in the floor of the boot. I've yet to find out if it has any kind of overflow arrangement, it really does seem like an afterthought - as I guess it probably was, as it was added to the DS5 part-way through its production.

It had an empty 10L bottle in the boot when I bought it. So I guess it displayed a warning, they stuck whatever proportion of 10L in that they didn't miss with, so now it's going to be half-full or less. There is some white residue around it, thankfully no corrosion though.

It must be lots easier when pouring into the side of the car. Some of the 10L bottles have a bendy spout tube, but it's never as tall as the bottle itself. So it would be already pouring by the time it met the inlet.

I've seen this sort of thing...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164646769193

I can see the point for a filler that's at a weird angle but, for a filler that's pointing up, I can't see what advantage it has over a kitchen funnel. Perhaps that's the sensible option then. I'll pull the lid off and prod the old funnel in, see if it looks like I could get a 10L bottle to hit it while tipping it up. Then marker pen something on it to say it's no longer for food use!

I'll order 2x 10L bottles, I guess one will go straight in leaving another for topping up. Does this look like a good deal?...

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/automotive/ ... ZT1036653P

£27.98 for 2x 10L bottles with free delivery. Allegedly there's a spout behind the label.
Last edited by NotAnInterestingName on 10 Jun 2022, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Honest John says that bottles "plug in" and you shouldn't use a funnel...

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answ ... ue-liquid-

All very confusing. Perhaps I'll order some and see whether it makes any sense when it's all in front of me.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok so do be careful as there is a sort of mechanism that seems to open as the spout is introduced.

Trying to fill from a 10L bottle is not a good idea on account of trying to guide the tube in and balancing a 10 Litre container of heavy plastic with the other hand - it's all bound to end badly and 'UREA on your chips'.

This is what I bought and it works perfectly for pouring from the large container into the wide top part of the vessel and from there I can easily top the tank up in one or two goes.
IMG_0064.jpg
IMG_0063.jpg
I bought it from a hardware / agri shop and it was £8.49. I spent ages looking for something suitable and then happened across these in the agri store. Grabbed it whilst I could.

Here they are - but this looks like a wholesaler, but at least it has the part number:

https://gb.sparex.com/plastic-jug-set-1-2-5l-20630.html

Here's a supplier - this is the 5 litre one:

https://www.malpasonline.co.uk/itm/Vari ... g-5L/20626

Marc
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Thanks - that looks very useful for one that's on the side of the car, but I doubt it would reach below its own base (i.e. from inside the boot) without first tipping it, so spilling the contents.

I've ordered the cheapo adblue, for what seems like a bonkers cheap price including delivery. I'll have a play using the generic kitchen funnel once I get it and will report back.

It really doesn't seem like an elegant process, especially considering that it's corrosive.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, just use a funnel, then any suitable container (even an old 5lt screenwash container) should do in order to decant it out from the larger Adblue container.

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

A word of caution make sure that whatever vessel you use to top up the AdBlue is surgically clean and is used only for that purpose.
The containers and pumps that the AdBlue is delivered in/by are clean for a reason :)

Colin
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Thanks, yes I'm aware of the hygiene issues having seen that it's urea diluted with demineralised water, presumably it has to go through a very fine spray at the point it's used so limescale and bits of grit would be very bad news.

I'll wash/rinse anything I use under the tap then shake/wipe the remaining water off. We're in a hard water area so I know it's bad news for any delicate systems.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The system also has an Adblue quality sensor and if it detects abnormalities in the composition it will throw a wobbly.

Marc
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Well all done, nobody died and nothing got sprayed with corrosive liquid!

By a lucky coincidence the new 6" funnel plugged into the tank and held itself up. The pouring tube supplied with the bottle was sufficient to get a good enough aim into the funnel while tipping it, it was probably 6" above the top of the funnel in the earliest stage. Then, once it got going, the tapered neck inside the funnel happened to be just the right size for the tube to plug into. All a very nice coincidence, will keep this one funnel labelled in a clean bag reserved for this job. It definitely couldn't have been done without the funnel, evidenced by the white residue around the boot floor (now wiped off).

I overflowed it, I don't think there's really an alternative if using a big bottle without decanting. However, the access hole is (after removing the cap) basically a hole right through the bottom of the boot floor. The plastic filler tube is suspended in the air some way below it, with the ground below it. So even if overflowed it will not contact the bodywork. My theory is that a good overflowing will remove any floating contaminants! I just rinsed it off the driveway with water.

I also thoroughly cleaned the vent cap, to avoid the risk of it inhaling the muck around it. I did notice that it states "MIN 3.75L" on it (the number may or may not be exactly right, from memory). Is this the minimum that should remain in the tank, or the minimum amount you should add per fill?

I just thought, the car was pointing slightly uphill when I filled it. So it should be a little less than full when parked level, with a sensible air gap. I'll pretend this was an ingenious plan rather than random chance, but I'll do it this way round in future too.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Do you use this method of pouring?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

3.75l is the min that you are required to add if you get to the point of it not letting you start the engine. If the light is not on you can add any amount. For reference our C4 Grand Picasso BlueHDi 120 gets through 10 litres about every 8000 miles.
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The minimum amount to add when you have reached zero range remaining will vary from vehicle to vehicle. Mine is 5 litres minimum, but I never let it get that low, choosing to top up every 1-2 months.

Marc
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Thanks all, I poured the obvious way with the spout down and it did glug like a drunk. I'll try it the other way next time, that may run smoother but may also increase the drop from the end of the tube. So it may result in less glugging but more spilling.

Ah ok, it's a minimum fill from nothing then. I just wondered if it was a minimum amount per fill, I know that many fuel tanks won't register a fill below a certain amount. I was coming up with mad theories based on this kind of logic.

Am I right in thinking that it doesn't have a clue how much is in and when you fill up, and it only knows when it's really low, i.e. about to run out?