Today's County in the Spotlight:Part 2

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Today's County in the Spotlight:Part 2

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

This picture caught my eye, Its the Launch of the Euryalus. Fast forward a a few years to the late 70's early 80's and the HMS Euryalus at that time to bear the name, was South Shields' adopted ship, and one of my friends served on it.

The pic came up as part of one of those "fascinating facts" lists about places, and Buckler's Hard at the mouth of the Beaulieu River and its 18th Century shipbuilding for the Royal Navy made the list for Hampshire. I'm sure Dan Snow will give a decent intro to Buckler's Hard

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 06 Jun 2022, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

You see that mill, just above Overton Station ?
Overton Mill - OS
Overton Mill - OS
Chances are - 99% of people reading this forum would have had one of its products in their possession. That's not a bad statistic :)

"Henry Portal founded Portals Paper Mill at Bere Mill, on the River Test between Overton and Whitchurch, in 1712, adding Laverstoke Mill to his enterprise seven years later, which allowed him to win the contract to make banknote paper for the Bank of England in 1724. Portals significantly expanded in the 20th Century with the development of a new Overton Mill near Quidhampton in 1922 and the Bank of England relocated a significant number of employees to the area during World War II.
Papermaking is still undertaken within the village at the Overton Mill which produces high-security paper for over 150 national currencies."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton,_ ... apermaking

And also - those who have had a drink or two of Bombay Sapphire might be interested to know that it's distilled just down the road at Portal's other (former) mill at Laverstoke.
"The site was leased by Henry Portal in 1718 and converted into a paper mill, becoming part of the Portals business. In the 1720s, Portal obtained the contract for the supply of paper to the Bank of England for use in banknotes, and the production of paper for currency and other secure uses would become the main use of the site. The site was expanded in 1842, and again in 1881, to allow for increased production. In 1860, new buildings, including the large India House, were built for a contract for the supply of paper for the Indian Rupee.
The mill was purchased by the Bombay Spirits Company in 2010. The new owners refurbished the site, reusing existing buildings for distilling and a visitor centre, cafe, bar and shop. New glasshouses, designed by the Heatherwick Studio, were constructed to display examples of the plants used for the gin botanicals. The River Test, which had been covered over as the mill expanded, was opened out to become a feature of the site again."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laverstoke_Mill

Bombay Sapphire distillery
User:Keri, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

For interest's sake I'll put up the pages from my registration bible covering the letters we haven't posted so far. I forgot the AA when I was reading the book but I can say that both AA 1 and AA 2 were registered to the Automobile Association!! :-D Here's the rest:
Copied from my book
Copied from my book
Copied from my book
Copied from my book
Copied from my book
Copied from my book
Copied from my book
Copied from my book
Copied from my book
Copied from my book
Copied from my book
Copied from my book
Copied from my book
Copied from my book
Copied from my book
Copied from my book
Copied from my book
Copied from my book
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Back to the Pickled Egg Quiz, and this bit of the historic county of Hampshire near Ringwood, with a nice pic of a Citroen GS, provided a bit of mild entertainment with the answer coming from Bobins, but not via the Bournemouth and District Outdoor Club which is where I tracked it down from, before posing the question.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 19:27
I've dug out the full pic without you having to do a bit of clicking on a link.

There is enough information in this picture to get the location even if you havent a clue where it is. Just requires a query on the little snippets of information that are in the picture.
Pickled Egg Quiz: Where is the location for this picture :?: The inventor of which iconic 1960's product is associated with the location :?:

Ok here is the full picture click to enlarge
bobins wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 20:04 My guess for the former inhabitant would be Craven Walker - inventor of the Lava Lamp, still made in the Uk at Poole by https://www.mathmos.com/
Even though its made in Poole just over the border I think we need moving pictures of a Lava Lamp invented by Craven Walker.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I wonder which came first, the lava lamp or Barbarella.
NewcastleFalcon

Hampshire day-ish in the spotlightis drawing to a close. So is the Lava Lamp going to be the last contribution. Its up to you. We haven't even had a picture of a New Forest pony yet, or indeed brought forward from the archives Citrojim's pictures of a Sunbeam Rapier H120, or a 1934 Hilman Minx motoring through Burley from his holiday snaps :-D

Here's the plea that usually falls on deaf ears...has Hampshire not got a song to sing or a tune to play :?:

Where's the music for Hampshire :?:

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Armidillo
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 605 V6 SII
406 D9 SV
Xantia SX wagon SII
Xantia Activa TCT (unregistered)

Post by Armidillo »

We lived in Hampshire (well Portchester and Fareham) from 1990-92.

We had lived in Sydney, so I thought I knew about rust - but we don't spread grit on roads in Australia! Living near the coast (in Oz) caused obvious panel rust, which warned of probable deeper, more serious problems.

When I bought the mighty 504 (below), it's panel rust was not too bad - I should have checked the wheel arches!! Anyway, it was a good old bus, and took us to the New Forest and beyond!

We rented this semi in Wallington for about 1 year.
504.jpg
The little boy at the back of the car is our middle son; now a father of 2 in his late 30s.
NewcastleFalcon

From "Filming Jack Hargreaves in his shed" and the bit on the title sequences for Old Country. Curiosity has me wondering where that bridge is, I'll put it up on the Pickled egg Quiz and have a go at finding out. Doubt its our County of the day, he did stray into Dorset a bit! The Ashmore Dew pond is a case in point but a lovely location. :-D
That was Jack's idea, that he wanted each programme to start with him coming from a distance so that he would appear in the distance and then come closer and then usually go past camera and then they would mix in to him in the studio.
The sequences were all shot specially as titles in various locations eg Shaftesbury Drove Road, Ashmore Dew Pond, Fie

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Armidillo wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 13:10 We lived in Hampshire (well Portchester and Fareham) from 1990-92.
Welcome to the thread Armidillo, by the time its finished viewers and contributors alike will have the most comprehensive guide to quirky United Kingdom County trivia ever assembled :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I'll close Hampshire's day in the spotlight with Citro Jim's pictures from Burley. Luckily there is a lurking horse to cover our embarrassment at not including a paragraph or photo or two of New Forest Ponies. search out the Jack Hargreaves links to daily motion previously posted one of them will cover a New Forest Pony round up. :-D
CitroJim wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 18:32 A very tasty Rootes.. Maybe a Humber Sceptre or Sunbeam Rapier at speed in Burley today...

Lovely nick and lovely colour too :D

It was following this... Not a clue as to what it is...

Sorry the picture is blurred... I had a bit of a fight to get it...

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

___________Hampshire Done__________

NewcastleFalcon

27 Left
27 Left

Selection time

Random Number is 32
New County is Northamptonshire

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

New County is Northamptonshire

This is going to be pretty much a finder-outer for me, I have set foot in Northamptonshire and indeed slept on its floor for a night, and the 4 wheels of my first Mini with its huge range, have trundled through it without breaking down, and exited to Ware in Hertfordshire where the back seat was loaded up with a reconditioned Honda 500 four engine and a few boxes of ancillary bits to take back to Newcastle.

My brother got a job in Towcester starting in January back in the late 70's, but by the summer he was up north again and settled in Halifax and became an official Yorkshireman accent and all. Towcester didn't suit him at all, but was important in his life in that he met his first wife there, who also became an official Yorkshire woman.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

In our perusals across different Counties I have found the "fascinating facts" lists of variable quality in their fascinatingness.

So for Northamptonshire this one popped up....44 Fun Facts about Northamptonshire. That's a decent quantity.
So I thought rather than read them all and consciously select I would let the the hand of randomness do the choosing.

So the generator came up with fun fact 35 which is literally this
Nicole Navigates 44 Fun Facts about Northamptonshire
https://www.nicolenavigates.com/44-fun- ... onshire%3F
Alan Moore, known for writing comic books like Watchman and V for Vendetta lives in Northampton – I once met him and got his signature at LUSH Northampton!
Alan is very good at what he does, and he is a Northampton Lad. He is widely recognised among his peers and critics as one of the best comic book writers in the English language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Moore

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey