Peugeot 207 rear crankshaft oil seal replacement

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ady2021
My Cars: Peugeot 207 1.4 8v Petrol

Peugeot 207 rear crankshaft oil seal replacement

Post by Ady2021 »

Hi all

I have a 2008 Peugeot 207 1.4 8v with a steady drip of oil from the area where the rear crankshaft oil seal is located. I am just about to whip the gearbox and flywheel off to have a look but it would be great if any of you have any tips to share before I get started with this. I have already identified to stay clear of the PTFE replacement oil seals but what about the flywheel bolts? There seems to be mixed views if the flywheel bolts can be re-used on these. My local motor factors say it is ok to re-use them with a bit of extra loctite despite the Haynes manual saying no.

Thanks
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Peugeot 207 rear crankshaft oil seal replacement

Post by wheeler »

Officially like a lot of things they are meant to be replaced when removed, I personally have re used hundreds of them without any issue. I always give the threads a clean & some new loctite.
Ady2021

Post by Ady2021 »

Thanks, that is what I was thinking too. As there is no additional angle measurement to tighten them up then they are obviously not yield bolts like 'head bolts'. Do you use the loctite red or blue stuff on them?

The main source of the oil leak actually proved to be a very loose oil galley plug behind the flywheel. I can't be sure that the rear crankshaft oil seal is not leaking slightly as well but would rather leave it alone if I can as it seems that people have mixed success when changing them and Peugeot have said that it is not something they commonly sell.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

normally use blue stuff
Ady2021

Post by Ady2021 »

Now I am confused as somebody has told me that the existing stuff on flywheel bolts is not a thread locker but a thread sealer to stop oil getting past. Has anyone simply just re-used the bolts without removing/replacing the existing thread sealer/locker. I am struggling to find out what size thread chaser I will need too for the holes in the crank.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

First I’ve heard of them being a thread sealant, I’m pretty sure that they are blind holes & i have never seen a drip of oil coming of one when removed, if it was acting as an oil seal I would expect to see oil residue when removed. I normally just wire brush the bolt threads then a blast of compressed air in the holes (again i’ve never seen any oil coming out when doing this). I don’t chase the threads as it’s normally just the low strength threadlock thats stays fairly soft.
Ady2021

Post by Ady2021 »

Yes, I am the same as you and there is no oil coming out of the flywheel bolt holes whilst they are removed. I have found a picture of a crankshaft removed and the bolt holes are definitely through holes as in the attached picture. It is a mystery why oil is not coming out of them as if you look at a picture of the block (attached) then it should be wet with oil in that region. Maybe there is not enough oil in that region to cause a problem but I don't trust this car as it would leak oil from the headlight if it could.
Attachments
Crankcase.jpg
Crank.jpg
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Is that a pic of a crank from the same engine as yours or just a random one? I’ve never looked that closely at the holes, i always just assumed they were probably blind holes.
What i can say is in over 20 years in the motor trade fixing cars i have never seen an oil leak from a flywheel bolt hole, i’ve never even seen a bit of oil dampness on any flywheel bolts that i have removed and the hundreds of flywheel bolts i have re used with a clean & bit of fresh loctite as far as im aware have never had any issues. I think you are over thinking it but if your worried about reusing them then maybe best replace them with new ones.
Ady2021

Post by Ady2021 »

That is a picture of a crank from a KFV engine which is the same as mine. I was going to get some loctite 243 but nobody had any in stock locally and it was just £15 for a set of bolts o that is what I ended up doing instead. As you say, I am probably over thinking it but learning along the way. I am not sure what worries me the most - the car still leaking oil or the wife's moaning that her car is still not fixed.

I have just finished putting the gearbox back in this evening. I am certainly not used to lifting gearboxes in and out and have no idea how you guys do it so quickly every single day. I am feeling absolutely worn out now.