Missing text on RT6

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

measaura
My Cars: Xantia 2.0i 8v Hatchback (Dark Blue) - (Scrapped)
Xantia 2.0i 8v Wagon (Dark Green)
Xantia 2.0i 16v Wagon (Dark Blue)
3008 Facelift 2014 1.6 THP 165 (Silver)

Missing text on RT6

Post by measaura »

Hi all,

I just bought a used 2014 Peugeot 3008. Initially I didn't realise that the headunit was faulty because the radio, camera etc seems to be working fine.

I then realised this issue when I start to try the buttons on the headunit. Try to reset with eject button hold method didn't work.

Now, I would like to ask for a help from anybody here to maybe just restore it back to the factory settings, before I go for the SD card change method.

FYI, our Service Center here in Malaysia is useless and I'm not sure if I can get any update CD from them.

Attached are some photos showing what is happening to the RT6 and maybe in one of the screen have the version number (RNEG 2.75 D2)

My VIN number VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Version?
Version?
Timestamp?
Timestamp?
Uptime?
Uptime?
HDD?
HDD?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Missing text on RT6

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Your current RT6 unit has firmware Version 2.75.
There is no hard disc in these units, just an internal MicroSD flash memory card that acts as a HDD.

As long as you have functionality of the radio screens and other screens I would leave it alone - that's if the 'missing' text is only on the Setup screen shown above. Try changing the 'theme' to another one also.

My information would suggest that you can upgrade to Version 2.80 without going to the dealer, but of course with any firmware update there is always a risk.

You may want to try a full BSI reset first, but leave the battery off for 10-15 minutes or so instead of the time quoted in the procedure to see if that resolves the issue, then take it from there.

BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
measaura

Post by measaura »

Thanks Marc for the reply.

My issue is not just the text for the navigation. The whole font file (is there any?) is missing (that's how I look at it in computer terms). In the following attachments, you'll understand what actually happened.

I can't do any setup or configurations to the car lighting, parking assistance etc. without knowing which one is which. All of the menu in the Setup functions is empty. What I can do now is just blindly navigate based on the Menu Map from the User Manual.

Here's what I did to try to restore the system;
- Change Theme (blindly)
- Change Language (blindly)
- Use Mirascript to backup User data (Only icon are displayed in the warning box)
- Use Mirascript to try backup the system (failed to fully backup. checked the copped files, only about 30% are copied)

Other behaviour of the unit;
- Slow booting. Upon power on (key on), Logo appears. After 1 minute logo is still on the screen but the radio sound is audible. After about 2 minutes then the Radio screen is displayed
- Intermittent restart. Sometimes it works fine for about an hour or so during driving. Sometimes rebooted several time within 10 minutes time. Happens no matter what the weather is like.
- Today, I got a whole white screen about 50% transparency. I can only see a very faint text of the elevation and satellite number below the screen. (first time happened to me). Pressed the eject button to reboot and it starts to radio screen.

From the reading in the internet and FCF forums, I suspected the SD card has started to be funny. I'm very technical and able to do electronic repairs and computer programming. If there's anything that you can suggest, I might be able to try it.

Will try the BSI reset tomorrow morning.
Boot screen shot up immediately upon switching on the key
Boot screen shot up immediately upon switching on the key
Radio screen. Notice that the date above doesn't show the month "April"
Radio screen. Notice that the date above doesn't show the month "April"
Music menu when I press the MUSIC button. The menu have no text, but I can move the highlight and select the invisible menu.
Music menu when I press the MUSIC button. The menu have no text, but I can move the highlight and select the invisible menu.
Phone menu when I press the PHONE button.
Phone menu when I press the PHONE button.
Navigation menu.
Navigation menu.
Reverse camera. Notice that there should be a warning message at the bottom of the screen.
Reverse camera. Notice that there should be a warning message at the bottom of the screen.
Setup menu. Based on the Menu Map from the User manual, I manage to navigate the invisible menu and change Theme and Language
Setup menu. Based on the Menu Map from the User manual, I manage to navigate the invisible menu and change Theme and Language
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

With that extra info it seems like the configuration has become corrupted. I'd never touch Mira scripts when the system isn't working as you can't see what the instructions are. you have to be very specific depending on what you are doing with these and answering Y or N incorrectly can mean disaster if you can't see what you are doing. Also never interrupt a firmware update as again, as this can brick the unit.

At this stage the system is obviously incorrectly configured.

If you try a firmware update now there is a possibility that the firmware will update OK, but that some settings may remain - which means you could end up with it being the same.

If you want to chance a firmware update first of all, then see how the system reacts. I would suggest you forget about the internal SD card for now as if that was on the fritz, you would likely not be getting the functionality / displays that you have now.

I suggest that rather than going for the latest firmware that has it's own set of issues to be considered, that you first try the next firmware available (V2.77) and see if this makes any difference. Then the next one is V2.80. I suggest you do not go straight to 2.80, but try the interim V2.77 first as it leaves a pathway to try a later version as you cannot downgrade these once applied.

I have both of these as ISO files, so if you want to try at your own risk of course, let me know and I'll provide a link in a Private message.

Marc
measaura

Post by measaura »

As for the Mira, I'm only doing Read / copy functions and disabled the write functionality. So I am sure that I did not make any changes to the already corrupted system.

I'm totally agree with you on refreshing it with 2.77 as that is the nearest to my 2.75 version. I also understand that jumping form 2.75 to 2.80 might not fix what I'm facing and also might add up another new set of problems.

Just one more question, will the map be overwritten if I update the version? Or does the updater includes Malaysia map?

I'll be available till maybe for another hour or so, then I have to call it a day.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The maps are on a separate partition and firmware updates won't affect the maps.

I'll send you a PM shortly in that case.

Marc
measaura

Post by measaura »

Great! Will wait for your PM.
measaura

Post by measaura »

Hi Marc,

I have tried copying the files into several USB, burning it into a CD and try to reflash the RT6 without any success. :x

I suspected that the SD card has corrupted and I would like to try and replace the SD and work on the new SD card.

Can this be done only with the USB drive or need to use the CD to reformat the new SD?

Dinas.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The Firmware will do the complete job via USB Dinas. As you are probably aware it may require a dealer visit to reconfigure afterwards if you lose functionality as it can't be done with Diagbox without PSA server access (secure mode is enabled).

Marc
measaura

Post by measaura »

Thanks Marc,

Will try and replace the SD card, then reflash. Will update the outcome here.

Dinas.
measaura

Post by measaura »

Hi Marc,

Sorry for the delay as I'm away on work.

I have tried to replace the SD card and try to install the firmware. I manage to get some text on the screen then a Disk Check and error.
Flasher Loading
Flasher Loading
After Disk Check, I got this error
After Disk Check, I got this error
I tried using several CD, several USB drive, but still I got the same error.

By the way, I manage to get the serial and maybe model number / version from the unit, if that helps.
The CD: 8653 corresponds with one of the SD card partition name
The CD: 8653 corresponds with one of the SD card partition name
As of now, I have no other way to restore the firmware except cloning the old SD card. As I type here, the cloning is in progress, but it looks like there will be issues as well because the old SD card has a lot of bad sectors and unreadable. I'll let it finish first and will check tomorrow morning.

By the way, is there a manual way of installing the firmware (e.g. manually copy the files from the ISO and put into the new SD card partition)?

- Dinas -
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Dinas

I don't know what else I can add.

If you are sure you have formatted a decent branded USB with FAT32 and have not used a MAC do do it and ensured there are no additional files on the USB, I'm not sure where to go from here.

These errors may be related to the source files / corruption or the media. It seems top be having an issue loading.

You can't manually copy the files, that won't work as it is a process that has to be followed internally during the update.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

What size is the SD card?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
measaura

Post by measaura »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 17 May 2022, 17:51 If you are sure you have formatted a decent branded USB with FAT32 and have not used a MAC do do it and ensured there are no additional files on the USB, I'm not sure where to go from here.

These errors may be related to the source files / corruption or the media. It seems top be having an issue loading.

You can't manually copy the files, that won't work as it is a process that has to be followed internally during the update.
I'm using a 16Gb Kingston CANVAS Select PLUS, fresh from a new pack, and put it straight into the RT6. It's very hard to get 16Gb SD card now and even worse with the 8Gb.

As for the installer media, I'm using Nero burner to burn the ISO directly to a CD-RW. I even tried using USB drive and make sure the Volume Information folder is deleted before plugging it into the RT6, but still I got the same error.

On the other hand, my cloning of the first 152Mb partition went very smooth. For the second 152MB partition (the one with the APPLICATION folder inside it) there are 11 bad sector which can't be copied. The last partition with the MAPPE folder also cloned successfully without errors. I will try with this SD and see what's the outcome.
measaura

Post by measaura »

Paul-R wrote: 17 May 2022, 17:56 What size is the SD card?
It's 16Gb Kingston CANVAS. it's very hard to get an 8Gb SD now.

- Dinas -