Diagbox - system recommendations? (building "from scratch") hardware and software

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MattBLancs
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.2 HDi Exclusive 173 6speed (daily family practical wagon),
Peugeot 406 Coupe SE 2.0 137 5speed (& originally auto), (former daily off the road for some TLC)
Peugeot 206 GTi-HDi 1.6 110 5speed (my wife's daily)
Peugeot 306 HDi Dturbo 2.0 90 5speed (long term project to reinstate inner wings, former daily. Too sentimental to let it go!)

Diagbox - system recommendations? (building "from scratch") hardware and software

Post by MattBLancs »

Hi all,

Firstly sorry for a new post, I've had a look through the diagnostic section and used the search but not able to reach a conclusion myself - if there's a good particular discussion to point me at instead then please do!

I'm looking to create myself Diagbox capability.

Will buy a laptop to dedicate to the job. I've seen old Panasonic Toughbook units in eBay at varying cost and very variable condition. Watched a few reviews of these old machines on YouTube and they seem a good option - tough, built to cope with dirty, dusty environment. I'm not planning to throw it about, but knowing if it gets dropped that it'd be less likely game over seems a good idea to me!

Operating system: I thought I needed XP but have seen lots of posts using much later versions of Windows, so long as it 32-bit = is that all I need to worry about?

I've no experience of and so keen to stay away from virtual machine options as seems to introduce another layer of potential issues to contend with on an already complex installation process.

I've also seen suggested that a Netbook wouldn't have the performance for live data so will avoid those.

Obviously I have read about need for hardware and software both available online. Have read the hardware is variable quality and a bit delicate too. Software numerous versions available. Have read about the "lack of an undo button" so plan a PDF printer or way of capturing print screens easily to avoid not knowing the previous state.

But beyond that I'm a bit lost where to start! Any and all suggestions welcome!

If has a bearing on what would be best, current "fleet" that would be plugged in:

2009 Citroen C5 Tourer X7 DW12 2.2 HDi (diagbox?)
2004 Peugeot 206 1.6 DV6 GTi HDi (not sure if old enough to be Peugeot Planet?)
2000 Peugeot 406 Coupe 2.0 EW10J4 (Planet I think)
1999 Peugeot 306 "Dturbo" 2.0 HDi DW10 (also think Planet)

Not looking to do anything newer at present so happy if the C5 is the newest a setup could manage.

Thanks,

Matt :)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Diagbox - system recommendations? (building "from scratch") hardware and software

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I am running a Toshiba NB250 netbook (with 2GB RAM; it won't support more than that), and it works well for me. The battery life is OK (unless I was doing a lot of stuff), and it is running Windows 7 Starter (which is 32bit). It is not unusual (during the beginning of a session) for the software to fail to communicate with the hardware, but normally (after a couple of 'false' starts) it isn't a problem.

I would (for the Lexia equipment itself) highly recommend that sold by Easy Diagnostics. It is NOT cheap, but you get 1 year aftercare, and they know what they are doing. Their equipment is complete, so it can handle modern cars (some budget clones have a reduced 'chipset', so won't work with some vehicles). However, if you want to also look after vans you will need an extra module; S1279.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
MattBLancs
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.2 HDi Exclusive 173 6speed (daily family practical wagon),
Peugeot 406 Coupe SE 2.0 137 5speed (& originally auto), (former daily off the road for some TLC)
Peugeot 306 HDi Dturbo 2.0 90 5speed (long term project to reinstate inner wings, former daily. Too sentimental to let it go!)

Re: Diagbox - system recommendations? (building "from scratch") hardware and software

Post by MattBLancs »

Interesting, thanks for the reply on netbook being usable - thought was a definite "no". I've an old XP netbook (an Aldi Medion, will have to dig it out to check the model number) pretty sure that had 2gb RAM too (and at its capacity, same as yours)

Will look into Easy Diagnostics too

Thanks,
Matt
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Trying to get started with this "project", I've bought myself a second hand Panasonic Toughbook CF19, off eBay, 2 GB RAM, 10 inch screen. Windows 7 32 bit.
Third generation I think based on a bit of googling. Should arrive early next week.
Best offer accepted £90 including delivery seemed a bargain, I hope it proves to be!

Have looked at Easy Diagnostics but they show the diagbox + hardware as out of stock at present. Quoted price seems ok given lots of positive reports on their excellent aftercare / support to installation/ troubleshooting etc.

Matt
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Easy Diagnostics regularly go out of stock, but they do continue to get more stock in. The fact that they KEEP going out of stock could indicate how good/popular their equipment is.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Ah, makes sense, will keep an eye on their site

Matt
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Toughbook arrived - seems ok, one or two tiny scratches but generally in good nick. Battery life seems ok which was a nice bonus.

The Easy Diagnostics site has just come back in stock so that's next on the shopping list.

Matt
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Hardware now on order, looking forward to getting stuck in! :)

Matt
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Re: Diagbox - system recommendations? (building "from scratch") hardware and software - up and running

Post by MattBLancs »

Well, hardware arrived and a nice rainy day today: just right for tackling the installation!

Not the simplest install, but excellent instructions and a video in the pack from Easy Diagnostics saw me muddle through without incident.

Have just had a very quick go plugged in to the C5 with a final break in the weather. Loads of faults logged, lots if BSI ones and "ancillary systems" (parking sensors - which I know don't work, plus many others tyre pressure monitoring, elec handbrake and others raising codes too. Hopefully all historic as both handbrake and tyre pressure monitoring were working fine as far as I know)
A few BSI and a few logged against "Injection/ignition" that I guess are the ones to focus on to get to the bottom of the current "won't run" situation.

Will get the codes up here, probably tomorrow. Need to find how to clear them (found something then it talked about some sort of permanent log on the ECU (with ten goes out of a maximum 50 already used) so decided to chicken out on that menu till I've read up a bit more.

Laptop seems ok - nice and warm during the install (but in fairness the Toughbook has no fan , just relies on heat loss through the casing so not surprised it gets warmed up)
Getting set up
Getting set up
Plugged in to the car
Plugged in to the car
Faults
Faults
IMG_20220605_204022059.jpg
Matt