C5 Mk1 Rear Parking Buzzer / Speaker Fixed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aspire_helen
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.2HDi Exc SE 2001

C5 Mk1 Rear Parking Buzzer / Speaker Fixed

Post by aspire_helen »

I noticed I was getting no sound from the rear parking sensors, nor was I getting any warning they were not working. Reverse lights and dipping mirror still worked so gearbox switch was OK. Lexia3 did in fact record a permanent fault "rear parking speaker open circuit or earthed" - quite specific! I was impressed that the car clearly measures the speaker circuit impedance but cannot determine whether it is open circuit (broken wire etc) or closed circuit (earthed).
Of course with no speaker, how would you find it? Luckily, last month I recovered the Cpillar trims and discovered the speaker screwed to the rear of the left trim. Who knew? I suppose the panel gives the speaker a bit more volume.
Sure enough, it was open circuit, but no visible damage. The black plastic housing contains a standard 36mm mylar passive speaker rated at 0.2W 50ohm - the kind used for headphones and telephone handset earpieces. However, its terminals are soldered and moulded into the housing. I found the genuine Citroen part 6590A6 for sale in Slovakia and Russia at £45 to £50 !! Used items on Ebay for £10+. Generic ones are available from China for under £5, but the connector may not match. However, I found on Ebay a pair of similar speaker inserts (50ohm, 0.5W) advertised as a pair for head phones - £3.99 the pair delivered. The speaker slots nicely into the housing (with top prized off) except for the terminals. By pure coincidence, the speakers terminals were sized and spaced almost identical to the connector pins of the original, so I pulled out the original pins, fettled the moulding and lined up the speakers terminals to align with the car's connector, and it worked perfectly. I did NOT refix it to the Cpillar trim, but under the rear left seatbelt spool trim for easier access.
Regarding the Cpillar trims - when removing them, the "Airbag" badge MUST be prised out first. It is actually a plug which retains the trim. It is very reluctant, and take care not to damage the fabric - patience!! Also, prise it out near its centre, and not the ends. To release the other trim clips, simply pull the trim panel firmly and squarely away, remembering the speaker inside the left one is attached.
Attachments
100_6672.JPG
100_6668.JPG
100_6666.JPG
100_6313.JPG
100_6311.JPG
jamescarruthers
Donor 2023
My Cars: 1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 3.0 petrol Exclusive

Re: C5 Mk1 Rear Parking Buzzer / Speaker Fixed

Post by jamescarruthers »

Nice fix! Thanks for sharing for others to beniefit 😁
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 3.0 petrol Exclusive
dave21120
My Cars: 2003 Citroen C5 2.0 16v Exclusive x2

Post by dave21120 »

Thank you for your post - great timing as I'm just upgrading my vtr to have parking sensors from an exclusive, and was scratching my head as to where the speaker should be.

Now I know 👍
aspire_helen

Re: C5 Mk1 Rear Parking Buzzer / Speaker Fixed and towball

Post by aspire_helen »

Does anyone know whether Lexia3 can be used to adjust the detection sensitivity of parking sensors, notably to disable the inner pair so they dont trigger on a towball? I know the Citroen towball includes a switch to automatically disable the system when the towbar is fitted, or is it when the towbar electrics are connected?

Re retrofitting Citroen parking sensors. Below is a link to a guy who has retrofitted several factory systems onto his C4 with extremely good directions. This may help.
https://minotaurus.pl/en/how-to-fit-fac ... itroen-c4/
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No it can't. The system is an all or nothing by design.

Citroen's wiring kits with the proper Trailer Fuse Box are designed to work with the vehicle to provide a special ESP programme when towing is detected and also to deactivate the rear parking assistance when towing. That's why they cost a bit more, but they provide these safety features.

Lexia cannot deactivate individual sensors or adjust them - they are pre-defined units. You will need to switch the system off from the Centre Console manually.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
aspire_helen

Post by aspire_helen »

Thanks Marc
There is no facility to turn them off. However, when I get around to it I will re-locate the inner pair further apart, and fill the holes they leave with some spare, unconnected sensors - just for looks. I do not mind them triggering on a trailer, but it annoys me that they trigger on the towball, especially with a cycle rack fitted.