More Tyre Advice Brands

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ChrisPembs
My Cars: Citroen C4 Picasso 2010 1.6 hdi

More Tyre Advice Brands

Post by ChrisPembs »

Morning :)

So I have a C4 Picasso 2010, it left the factory with Michelin Primacy tyres on, was going to have them put back on this week as factory tyres surely the way to go, was just about to book into National Tyres for Thursday but noticed some Goodyear ones that look very similar and have the same rating for noise, economy and wet grip, crucially though there is a 15% discount code on the Goodyear ones which for 500 quids worth of tyres is a nice amount to save, what do you think? Goodyear or Michelin?

Michelin link:

https://www.national.co.uk/tyres/brand/ ... cy-4-plus/

Goodyear link:

https://www.national.co.uk/tyres/brand/ ... ormance-2/

Thanks in advance.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: More Tyre Advice Brands

Post by daviemck2006 »

Personally I wouldnt take any of these two, I would go for uniroyal rain expert. Out of the two you are looking at it would be the Goodyear for me
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

... and Michelin from me. But to be fair I have used the Rainsport 2 and 3 previously.

I won't touch Bridgestone tyres even though they were factory fitted on our Aircross - as the they wore and crumbled in under 13k miles and handling is non existent. I just recently removed the lot and refitted with Michelin Cross Climate + tyres. These are summer tyres with 3 peaks winter certification, so will handle well in the ice, snow and summer.

Look around for deals - they can be had if buying multiple tyres and don't forget some of the smaller independents. I won't touch Kwik Fit as they are usually double the price of anyone else.

ATS are doing 4 x Michelin Primacy 4 tyres 215/55 R16 93V for £485.96 fully fitted at present.

National Tyres are doing Uniroyal RainSport 5 Tyres: 215/55 R16 93V for £383.96 inc fitting....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Also look on the Camskil and Oponeo sites.
jml
Locked user account
My Cars: A brilliant C8 2.2 HDi 173

Post by jml »

I’ve only ever had Michelin tyres on my C8 for the 175,000 miles it’s covered and have generally been very happy with them.

From new it had Pilots but when these became no longer available I switched to Energy Savers, which were probably the best I’ve had. When these became unavailable I started on Primacy and was a little disappointed by the slightly increased (worse) fuel consumption. I wonder whether Michelin realised that the economy was not so good as some time later they introduced E-Primacy with claimed improved fuel consumption.

I’ve fitted a pair of these but I am sorry to say that they have been the worst Michelins that I have ever fitted. A noisy, harsh, even uncomfortable, ride led to me contacting Michelin but all I really got from them were platitudes - despite me pointing out that I had driven for over 1 1/2 million miles, almost entirely on Michelins.

Despite all of this I think I’ll continue with Michelin - just wish I could get the old Energy savers !

I’ve nearly always found the best price and service on either Black Circles or Asda Tyres (You don’t have to collect them in a supermarket trolley !)
Julian Leyton (RIP) 2023
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
My Cars: C8 2.2 Hdi Exclusive

Post by Rp0thejester »

I've only ever put pre worns on my car as I wasn't driving more than 1000 miles a year and 1 year 99 miles between MOTs. At 30 quid a tyre it's better financially for me compared to new. Rather hard tyre size to find as pre worn though.
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: DS DS5 2.0 180BHP Prestige 2016
Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.6 90BHP XTR 2014
Both in black, we could start an economy brand undertakers

Post by NotAnInterestingName »

I'm a bargain hunter and like to save a few quid but would definitely draw the line before buying pre-worn tyres.

You have to ask yourself why they've outlived the car - it may have just broken down but there's a good chance a crash wrote it off, but you have no way of knowing. It may have suffered an impact, skid or other forms of extreme force that it was never designed for, and there may not be visible evidence.

Personally, for new ones I find the gulf in price between all the premium brands above and better value alternatives just far too wide. I suspect that these companies are very much cashing in on their brand. Dare I risk offending by suggesting that they have a fair bit of mug-premium?

Avoid Chinese/Indian, check reviews and regulations compliance and have an open mind. I recently bought Roadstone Eurovis Sport tyres for the Berlingo. Roadstone are from South Korea and allegedly owned by Nexen. I've done a few thousand miles and can't fault them - nice and quiet, they go round corners and stop and start. That's about the limits of my road testing knowledge, as I haven't been on a test track and aren't a racing driver. They haven't skidded and I'm not dead. They're also efficiency band B, which is quite hard to find, and wet performance C. They were £250 all-in, fitted for all four tyres. They're probably more like £300 now though. I'd recommend them, but among lots of others.

I wouldn't worry too much about what gets fitted at the factory, that choice may have been as much about discount as any technical reasons. Tyres manufacturers like to supply car manufacturers at a discount as they know that a good proportion of buyers of that car will buy the same again, as illustrated by this thread.
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

...also I previously had several sets of Accelera Alpha Phi tyres. They seemed fine, no issues with them. But I decided against as their maximum pressure was slightly lower than the maximum for a fully loaded Berlingo. But the decider against them was that when I had the last set fitted, the fitter said it needed a lot of balancing weights, as this brand often do. That suggests quality issues to me, hence a re-think this time around.

Let us know what you decide and why, it's interesting to hear why if people decide to spend more than necessary!
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I was told some years ago that the S/H tyres come from Germany where the minimum tread depth is more strict than here. I don't know whether that was true then or, if it was true, whether that's still the case after Brexit.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

According to Google, the minimum in Germany is 1.6mm, the same as here.

That excuse sounds like salesman waffle to me.

74% of used tyres checked by Trading Standards failed to meet safety standards

https://www.tradingstandards.uk/news-po ... standards/
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

As someone once pointed out to me - you're using second hand tyres when you buy a car. They might have only done 5 miles in their life, but they might have done 5000 - they're still second hand 8-[
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

NotAnInterestingName wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 14:39 According to Google, the minimum in Germany is 1.6mm, the same as here.

That excuse sounds like salesman waffle to me.

74% of used tyres checked by Trading Standards failed to meet safety standards

https://www.tradingstandards.uk/news-po ... standards/
the minimum tread depth is the same as the UK, however they have very stringent rules in Germany on Summer/winter tyres which is why they are changed earlier and sold here. We don't have the same rules as ours is based on all year round due to our weather. So no I don't believe it's salesman waffle. Plus meeting trading standards requirements is hear say. Trading standards is about honesty not whether or not it's safe/unsafe, there will be abusers of the system out there. As for new tyres, even Lewis Hamilton wears his in on the first lap.
Ryan

NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

He does wear them in, but he doesn't have a massive pile-up and write his car off. If he did then I doubt he'd take the tyres off the wreckage and stick them on his next car.

Each to their own, I can generally handle a bit of risk in life but used tyres just seem way too risky for me. Especially not when the cost after fitting is often not actually very different to basic new ones, perhaps they could even be more expensive depending on how long they last, as you'll pay more fitting charges over time. Getting a half-worn tyre for half price is actually more expensive than getting new.

I'm not going to become an armchair german legal expert for the sake of an argument, but 1.6mm seems to be the minimum from various sources. They may recommend higher, as they do here and lots of other places. Regardless of their laws, there's no way of knowing whether any used tyre has come from Germany, Ukraine or the local scrapyard.
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

Oh I agree, safety is number 1, my car needs van tyres which are hard to source. If I didn't trust my supplier/fitter then I'd never put my kids in the car. I inspect all tyres before/during/after fitting. The tyre being fitted is always in my view at all times. I used to fit tyres in a mainstream garage. I feel it's wrong however that people give part worns a bad name. Check the tyre yourself if you have doubts, how many people check a 'new' tyre? Who says it's new? JMO
Ryan

NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Usually the coloured stripes round the tread are a clue.

Mine's a Berlingo Multispace, so technically a car but all the seats are out (including front passenger) and it gets (mis)used as a 1-seater van. The specs are for standard car tyres. I get the recommended speed/size etc but in an XL (reinforced version). Seems to do the job, perhaps a bit less forgiving over bumpy bits but I can put up with that. I also keep them blown up to the max load rating from the door pillar regardless of actual load, mainly as I can't be bothered to muck about every time I fill it with stuff. In other cars this can make them a bit wild and bouncy but it seems fine in the Berlingo.

In theory, over-inflation will result in excessive wear in the tread centre. This did happen when I splashed out on posh Dunlops when it was nearly new. But the cheap-but-decent ones I've fitted since have been fine. This may not be down to the brand, but more likely due to the fact that I switched to reinforced ones at the same time.

Back on the used tyre debate, if new tyres have 8mm tread then used tyres with 5mm tread are actually half-used, as you'll get rid of them at about 2mm so there's only 6mm of tread-wear in the lifespan of a new tyre. So half-price tyres with 5mm tread will cost more than new tyres at full price, as you'll pay two lots of fitting fees during the lifetime of new tyres. So, regardless of risk, it may be false economy - depending on fitting fees and price.