DIY with function over finesse!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: DIY with function over finesse!!

Post by Gibbo2286 »

mickthemaverick wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 17:08 Some useful kit in this DIY man's sale at AMS (the saleroom where Gibbo found his Zoe I believe): :-D

https://www.ams.uk/catalogue.cgi?preview=y&auction=2072
That's the place Mick, I've used it quite a bit in the past, when 42" televisions were still over a grand I bought one there for £140, three UPS's for £20, sold two for £40 each on Ebay and still using the other one, £25 for my TomTom sat-nav which I took and used all over the States still works but out of date now.
I get their emails for every sale but the last thing I bought was the Zoe.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Good to hear Gibbo. I've only been following them for a year or so but I have made a couple of visits to collect my brand new counter top fridge for £18 and a full chrome vanadium socket and spanner set for my son for £13. I always keep an eye on their stuff and may have a bid or two on the invertors in this sale! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

You may remember I had a bit of an issue with a power washer on the MX3's rear bumper back when it was too cold to do anything about it. At last I got round to it this morning and while it won't stand up to close scrutiny, due to it being too cold for painting, at least it looks presentable from my window where I see it from every day!! :-D
Own work
Own work
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I had to go and finish off a bumper repair on the fleet Venga this morning. It had been scuffed in a car park by a driver who refused to take responsibility claiming "my parking detectors didn't even sound!" Hmmm. So to avoid a long nasty argument I said I'd do what I could and this is the result:
Own work
Own work
As ever I forgot to take a picture before I started but suffice to say there was considerable scuffing and a dink just above the end of the centre crease line. Not a perfect job by any means but in my view presentable enough for the sale of the car!! :-D
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I have decided it is time to try and recommission my Suzuki RF900RW as it has not turned a wheel since being delivered back to my storage in Summer 2019. I am going down now to replace the fuel with fresh, connect a charged battery and see what happens!! Watch this space! 8-[
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Well, that was a pretty fruitless trip!! My battery has not enjoyed being on trickle charge since October 2019!! Nice ripples along the sides and about as much umph as a powder puff with Covid!! So decided not to drain the fuel and refill with fresh until I have got a new battery. However I did note that both tyres are still fully inflated and all the dash lights came on as expected. Not enough power to energise the solenoid let alone the starter motor though so I fitted the seat, covered it back up and came home again. :cry:

The effort in moving the stuff to access the bike and then the bike itself has taken the wind out of my sails, still not fully recovered, so on the way home I called my bike MOT man and he is coming to collect the bike on 12th April in his van, take it to his workshop, replace the battery and the fuel and get it running and then MOT it and bring it back fresh and raring to go for me to sell at last!! So hopefully it will be up for sale by the end of April ready for the summer season!! :bd:
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Over the last month or so my phone has been throwing wobblies for no apparent reason. I would charge it overnight and then maybe after viewing a couple of posts on here and watching a video it would just die. On plugging it in it came to life after a couple of minutes showing 2% battery and charging. So after that happening 3 times I decided my battery had come to the end of its life and needed replacing. Being an Xperia Z5 the battery is fully enclosed and has no unclippable cover so a certain amount of dismantling was required to replace the battery. I set about ordering the new battery, tools to remove the back cover, glue strips to fit the new battery, glue to refit the case and a low wattage heat gun to soften the existing glue to release the back:
Tools required!
Tools required!
So this morning after watching the Grand Prix I decided it was time to bite the bullet and get the job done.
The phone added to the workspace
The phone added to the workspace
The first job is simply to remove the SD card and Sim card which are held in the same carrier.
The cards removed.
The cards removed.
The next job is to heat around the edge to melt the glue and then prise off the back cover. As I forgot to take any more pictures, having become involved in releasing the back I will post a video of another chap doing exactly the same job at the end of this post.

Then, as you will see it is a matter of releasing the glue strips from under the battery, unplugging the battery and lifting it out. Then reverse the process using new glue strips and the adhesive to refit the back. Re insert the cards and finally the moment of truth when you press the power button with baited breath!
Success!!
Success!!
It lit up as expected showing 00.01 on 01.01.70!! Hmmm! Not to worry it is set to use system time and once reconnected to the network it set the date and time correctly. The battery level showed as 60% so I will run that down before charging and hopefully all my troubles with it will be over!!

All that remained was to clear up and put away the kit for the next time!! :-D
The aftermath
The aftermath
The video of the process: (Quite boring but if you want to know its quite illustrative :-D )

Last edited by mickthemaverick on 10 Apr 2022, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Good job!
I would have chucked it away and got a new one.
Haven't had battery problems except for the HTC one, that came with two, a standard and a long life (huge) that lasted no time at all, the standard one was fine but the keyboard gave up after about five years.
Huawei had interchangeable batteries too and still works but is jammed solid with updates.
Current one has a fixed battery, will see how that goes.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Two days in and I'm pleased to report all is well with the phone. Takes a lot longer to charge to 100% and correspondingly lasts a lot longer in use. Over the last two days I have only used around 25% per 24 hours compared to the 90% in 5 minutes I had experienced a few times!! :-D

So on to the next project which began this morning, spot the project! (you may need to refer to a few posts back on this thread!) :-D
Own work
Own work
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Want some more stuff to top up the stock? I'm going to clear my little workshop of all the remaining garage tools and equipment, spare parts etc. giving up all ideas of crawling under cars now.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Gibbo2286 wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 12:33 Want some more stuff to top up the stock? I'm going to clear my little workshop of all the remaining garage tools and equipment, spare parts etc. giving up all ideas of crawling under cars now.
I'd love to say yes please Gibbo but sadly I have made a similar decision and once the RF is back and sold I will be attempting to clear my stuff to save the storage fees for more pleasurable pursuits!! What we need is a younger FCF member with space to spare who wants to set up an FCF central tool centre for members use as and when needed. :-D
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

mickthemaverick wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 11:38 Well the car passed the MOT with two advisories: nearside numberplate light not working and small hole in the tailpipe.

The exhaust will have to wait until I next take the car to the mancave and probably a bit of Tigging will be involved! :-D
An update on the exhaust, unfortunately when we examined the exhaust thoroughly I discovered the Y joint was blowing slightly underneath but, far more annoyingly, slightly on the top. It would have been impossible to get to the top to weld it without removing the system and I didn't fancy that for a blow which had, after all, got through the MOT. So I brought the car home again and last week I managed to carry out a more traditional repair with exhaust bandage and paste. It has been driving much more smoothly since the repair but today was the first long run and I am well pleased with the resulting improvement in fuel consumption: :-D
Own work
Own work
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

mickthemaverick wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 20:33
mickthemaverick wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 11:38 Well the car passed the MOT with two advisories: nearside numberplate light not working and small hole in the tailpipe.

The exhaust will have to wait until I next take the car to the mancave and probably a bit of Tigging will be involved! :-D
An update on the exhaust, unfortunately when we examined the exhaust thoroughly I discovered the Y joint was blowing slightly underneath but, far more annoyingly, slightly on the top. It would have been impossible to get to the top to weld it without removing the system and I didn't fancy that for a blow which had, after all, got through the MOT. So I brought the car home again and last week I managed to carry out a more traditional repair with exhaust bandage and paste. It has been driving much more smoothly since the repair but today was the first long run and I am well pleased with the resulting improvement in fuel consumption: :-D

A story I heard was of a guy who had a blown exhaust. The hole was too large for the bandage, etc., and while he was wondering how to fix it he opened a can of Heineken beer. Halfway down the can he suddenly noticed what he had in his hand. After finishing the beer he measured the can, and found that it would do the job (alongside the bandage and paste). Afterwards he contacted Heineken and told them how useful their can had been. Part of their response went "we are glad that our beer fixes the cars other beers cannot fix".
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Another lot which I collected from the auction on Monday was this dual height Black & Decker Workmate. I only have the cheapo version so I thought it was worth a shot for a tenner which won me the lot! :-D
So the first thing I realised when I collected it was that all its rubber feet were missing and all four leg catches had broken away. However I know the parts are available so I was not too worried about that. On getting it home on Monday I gave all the moving parts a good dose of WD40 and left it in the shed until this morning when I decided to start restoring it. The feet and catches have been ordered and should be here today/tomorrow so I set about preparing the frame for them. First up was a good wire brushing and some use of the flap disc on the angle grinder followed by a prime of the bare metal, which I forgot to snap, and then the finishing coat. The pictures tell the story so far: :-D
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've got a well used one of those Mick, bought it for dad a long long time ago then when he passed we found a label tied to the leg saying 'For Eric' :)