Replacing Rear view Mirror (C4 GP 2014)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tizdaz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2014 C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 eHDI

Replacing Rear view Mirror (C4 GP 2014)

Post by tizdaz »

Hi guys!

I'm thinking of replacing my OEM rear view mirror with an aftermarket one that has built in dash cam / reverse parking camera.

At present I'm using a Halfords dash cam that is suckered on to my windscreen & i don't have a rear parking cam on my vehicle so I'm thinking of this upgrade. There's a few I'm looking at, but what I'm not sure about is the fitting that the OEM rear mirror uses, is it a standard fitting or is it not straight forward to replace with a different mirror?

This is my VN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
here's what my current mirror looks like at the moment:
rear mirror.jpg
Any info much appreciated, thanks :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Replacing Rear view Mirror (C4 GP 2014)

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Obviously we can't comment on aftermarket mirrors here. Just don't tap into any existing multiplexed wiring of your vehicle or you can end up with equipment fault on the data networks.

Always wire aftermarket equipment in separately to the passenger fusebox if you can using a piggy back fuse. Obviously, in this case you may need to tap into the reversing light wire. You'll have to consult the kit and work out if it is compatible.

Installation is going to take a while as you'll have to safely route the wiring from the front to the rear and avoid routing any wires where you have airbag deployment, which includes the side curtain airbags! Avoid wiring here as if they go off in an accident and the dash cam wiring comes loose and gets in from of the airbag curtain, it will act like cheese wire and can potentially cause a fatality to passengers. Always try and route cables along the floor under carpets and lower floor trim panels through to the rear where there are no airbags.

Also be careful of the A Pillar as the side curtain airbag control wires may likely extend into the A Pill section.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
tizdaz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2014 C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 eHDI

Re: Replacing Rear view Mirror (C4 GP 2014)

Post by tizdaz »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 11:15 Obviously we can't comment on aftermarket mirrors here. Just don't tap into any existing multiplexed wiring of your vehicle or you can end up with equipment fault on the data networks.

Always wire aftermarket equipment in separately to the passenger fuse box if you can using a piggy back fuse. Obviously, in this case you may need to tap into the reversing light wire. You'll have to consult the kit and work out if it is compatible.

Installation is going to take a while as you'll have to safely route the wiring from the front to the rear and avoid routing any wires where you have airbag deployment, which includes the side curtain airbags! Avoid wiring here as if they go off in an accident and the dash cam wiring comes loose and gets in from of the airbag curtain, it will act like cheese wire and can potentially cause a fatality to passengers. Always try and route cables along the floor under carpets and lower floor trim panels through to the rear where there are no airbags.

Also be careful of the A Pillar as the side curtain airbag control wires may likely extend into the A Pill section.
Thanks Marc :)

the camera I've got on its way at the moment is a Wireless WIFI one that connects to an Android device, i chose this route as i didn't want a separate LCD screen for just a reverse camera. as you pointed out, the kit is compatible with reverse so i need to tap it into the power for reverse light. But with it being WIFI the signal maybe weak or have delay (which is useless if it does!) if it does then i will need to buy the wired kit which means i would then either need to use a separate screen which i really don't want or buy one of the Rear View Smart Mirror kits.

Will let you know how i get on, good news is that i already have a wire routed from the mirror area for my dashcam that Halfords fit, so i will just follow where that's been routed as that is wired into the fuse box as you say via piggyback :)