Citroen C5 diesel 2006 1.6cc - wont move forward

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FIRSTCITREON
My Cars: Citroen C5 1.6cc 2006
Fiat Ducato
Vauxhall Omega 2002 2.2cc

Re: Citroen C5 diesel 2006 1.6cc - wont move forward

Post by FIRSTCITREON »

Peter.N. wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 11:14 Just a long shot, I suppose one of the drive shafts has not slid out of the gearbox, had this once on an XM. Let it tickover in gear and see if either of the drive shafts are moving.

Peter
Hi Peter, Thank you. How do I tell if the drive shaft is moving or not please?
FIRSTCITREON
Fiat Ducato

Post by FIRSTCITREON »

myglaren wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 11:00 I am wondering if it could be the DMF. Has this model a DMF?
Hi myglaren, What is the DMF please?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Just see if the shaft is turning, if one is you will have no drive from the other one either.

Peter
FIRSTCITREON
Fiat Ducato

Post by FIRSTCITREON »

Peter.N. wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 11:28 Just see if the shaft is turning, if one is you will have no drive from the other one either.

Peter
Hi Peter, I will try this and report back today a bit later.
FIRSTCITREON
Fiat Ducato

Post by FIRSTCITREON »

RichardW wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 10:53 Unfortunately sounds like something is broken - either the gear box or clutch. Since it will go into gear, seems more likely to be the box, which is unusual. Either way the box is going to have come out to find out...
RichardW - thank you for your reply.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

FIRSTCITREON wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 11:07
Hi Wheeler, just peeled the rubber back from the gear lever - when i put it in 1st to 5th gear, I can still move the gear from side to side - it seems a bit loose but I am not a mechanic so I don't know. It seems a bit loose? It is not engaging the gear. Hope you see my replies - finding it a bit difficult to navigate on this site.
OK thats a start however the majority of times a gear cable breaks or detaches I find it's at the gearbox end under the bonnet. You will need to have someone go through the gears while you observe the selector mechanism on the gearbox, especially the side to side movement.
If thats OK then im afraid as has already been said its a gearbox out job for further checks.

Yuo say its the same in reverse? does it try to bump backwards when you do select reverse or is it still trying to pull forwards? Are the reverse lights illuminating when you select reverse with the engine running?
FIRSTCITREON
Fiat Ducato

Post by FIRSTCITREON »

wheeler wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 12:27
FIRSTCITREON wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 11:07
Hi Wheeler, just peeled the rubber back from the gear lever - when i put it in 1st to 5th gear, I can still move the gear from side to side - it seems a bit loose but I am not a mechanic so I don't know. It seems a bit loose? It is not engaging the gear. Hope you see my replies - finding it a bit difficult to navigate on this site.
OK thats a start however the majority of times a gear cable breaks or detaches I find it's at the gearbox end under the bonnet. You will need to have someone go through the gears while you observe the selector mechanism on the gearbox, especially the side to side movement.
If thats OK then im afraid as has already been said its a gearbox out job for further checks.

Yuo say its the same in reverse? does it try to bump backwards when you do select reverse or is it still trying to pull forwards? Are the reverse lights illuminating when you select reverse with the engine running?
Hi Wheeler, I have managed to do that. Yes, it all seems alright when putting it into gear. Selector mechanism working. Yes, it is the same when in reverse. Tries to bump backwards. Yes, the reverse lights light up when in reverse with the engine running.