Citroen C5 diesel 2006 1.6cc - wont move forward

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FIRSTCITREON
My Cars: Citroen C5 1.6cc 2006
Fiat Ducato
Vauxhall Omega 2002 2.2cc

Citroen C5 diesel 2006 1.6cc - wont move forward

Post by FIRSTCITREON »

Please help me! I am stuck in the French countryside with no one around me to help and many kms from shops etc.
My Citroen C5 2006 diesel manual, suddenly stopped moving forward.
Symptoms are: car was driving normally but there was I felt an ever so slight vibration on the acceleration pedal. It felt like there was no oil somewhere. There was no noise. Suddenly, when I put it into 4th gear, changing up to 5th, it went into 5th (gears are moving very smoothly) but then would not drive forward and really feels as if something is blocking it. If I put it into first gear now, it bumps but does not drive forward. Has not lost hydraulic oil. I was picked up by the breakdown service who wanted to take it to his garage - Citroen. However he told me that just to look at it - with no promise of reparation - he would charge 100 euros. His fees are very high, especially in comparison to other garages. So not knowing what to do, I asked breakdown to bring me to the house where I am staying (my boot was full of stuff so I didn't want to leave the car on the side of the road). I have subsequently phoned (I speak French) garages around here but all say they want me to bring it in on a tow. I can arrange with someone to tow me to a garage. However, I really want to try to understand what may have happened. The vehicle starts properly and the engine sounds smooth. It just won't move when I put it into gear as if something is blocking it. If it was the driveshaft, surely there would be a loud ''bang'' before it went? Please help me anyone - I really cannot be another victim of another rip-off garage - I simply do not have those funds. I am completely carless now and alone. Thank you to all for your help - Amanda
Steve Walsh
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Aircross 2021 VR7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Kawasaki ZR1100 1994
C4 Hatchback
Yamaha XVS650A 2001

Re: Citroen C5 diesel 2006 1.6cc - wont move forward

Post by Steve Walsh »

Does the clutch feel like it is working.

Where in France are you
Thanx to Marc and all the admins & knowledgeable people that make this the best forum on the interweb. =D> =D> =D>
FIRSTCITREON
Fiat Ducato

Post by FIRSTCITREON »

Hi Steve Walsh, Thank you for replying.
Not sure if you saw my reply so repeating it in case it did not go through? I am in SW France (like you) in dept 24. I press down on the clutch, put it in gear, then it moves as if about to go but stops as though being blocked. Feels as though there is a slight vibration on the accelerator pedal when I put my foot on the accelerator. This vibration on the accelerator pedal I felt just before the car went bonkers. But goes into gear very easily. Can speak on the phone if that is permissible?
Last edited by FIRSTCITREON on 02 Apr 2022, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Walsh
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Aircross 2021 VR7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Kawasaki ZR1100 1994
C4 Hatchback
Yamaha XVS650A 2001

Post by Steve Walsh »

Sent you a PM
Thanx to Marc and all the admins & knowledgeable people that make this the best forum on the interweb. =D> =D> =D>
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

So the engine starts normally, you press down on the clutch pedal, put it in 1st, take your foot off the pedal and it doesn't move forward? Does the engine stall?
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Is it the same if you try to reverse too?
Does the car roll ok in neutral?
Does the gear selection still feel normal, especially side to side? Im wondering if the side to side selector cable has broken, if this has happened when the gear lever is moved to the left then forwards to go into first although it feels like you have selected first you are actually in 3rd?
FIRSTCITREON
Fiat Ducato

Post by FIRSTCITREON »

wheeler wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 08:31 Is it the same if you try to reverse too?
Does the gear selection still feel normal, especially side to side? Im wondering if the side to side selector cable has broken, if this has happened when the gear lever is moved to the left then forwards to go into first although it feels like you have selected first you are actually in 3rd?
Hi Wheeler, Yes exactly as you have said. Car rolls fine in neutral. Gear selection feels normal and from side to side. The engine starts and runs well, it goes into gear very easily but kind of bumps when trying to move forward as if it is blocked. It was driving fine, then it went into 5th gear and the engine just started to rev and the gears would not pick up. The clutch pedal feels fine. There feels like there is a bit of vibration on the accelerator pedal - not massive vibration but a bit. Feels like something is not clicking into place.
FIRSTCITREON
Fiat Ducato

Post by FIRSTCITREON »

moizeau wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 08:08 So the engine starts normally, you press down on the clutch pedal, put it in 1st, take your foot off the pedal and it doesn't move forward? Does the engine stall?
Exactly as you have said moizeau but the engine does not stall. It simply will not drive forward or backward - feels like something is blocking it. If I put it in 1st or 2nd, the car kind of bumps and then won't move forward - it is as if something is blocking it.
FIRSTCITREON
Fiat Ducato

Post by FIRSTCITREON »

FIRSTCITREON wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 10:33
Hi Wheeler, Yes exactly as you have said. Car rolls fine in neutral. Gear selection feels normal and from side to side. The engine starts and runs well, it goes into gear very easily but kind of bumps when trying to move forward as if it is blocked. It was driving fine, then it went into 5th gear and the engine just started to rev and the gears would not pick up. The clutch pedal feels fine. There feels like there is a bit of vibration on the accelerator pedal - not massive vibration but a bit. Feels like something is not clicking into place.
Yes Wheeler, it is the same if I try to reverse it.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Unfortunately sounds like something is broken - either the gear box or clutch. Since it will go into gear, seems more likely to be the box, which is unusual. Either way the box is going to have come out to find out...
Richard W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I am wondering if it could be the DMF. Has this model a DMF?
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Worth having a look through the LH wheel arch at the gear selector with a friend operating the gear shift. Also, as Richard has said, the gearbox will need to come out regardless so it would be worth draining the oil to see if there are any nasties in it.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
FIRSTCITREON
Fiat Ducato

Post by FIRSTCITREON »

FIRSTCITREON wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 10:33
Hi Wheeler, just peeled the rubber back from the gear lever - when i put it in 1st to 5th gear, I can still move the gear from side to side - it seems a bit loose but I am not a mechanic so I don't know. It seems a bit loose? It is not engaging the gear. Hope you see my replies - finding it a bit difficult to navigate on this site.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Just a long shot, I suppose one of the drive shafts has not slid out of the gearbox, had this once on an XM. Let it tickover in gear and see if either of the drive shafts are moving.

Peter
FIRSTCITREON
Fiat Ducato

Post by FIRSTCITREON »

moizeau wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 11:04 Worth having a look through the LH wheel arch at the gear selector with a friend operating the gear shift. Also, as Richard has said, the gearbox will need to come out regardless so it would be worth draining the oil to see if there are any nasties in it.
Hi moizeau, thank you for your reply. I can try that - thank you - but won't help me - I need help here. I am desperate. This car has got to move. What is it that I look at when I operate the gear selector looking then through the LH wheel arch?
Hopefully, another super helpful and kind member from this group may be coming out to help me (that member lives nearby here). I am so very grateful for this group's help and all help from the members here. Any suggestions as to what is wrong, please? I really am in an incredibly difficult position here and need to get this car sorted or off somewhere to be sorted. If I can do that with the gear shift I shall and will report here what I find - today. Please tell me what I need to look at when operating the gear lever and looking through LH wheel arch. I do not know how to refill the gearbox oil so am loathe to drain it. I am worried I may do more harm.