C5 MK II Blower Motor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nonnus
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 2.0HDi Activa
Citroen C5 2.0Hdi Exclusive

C5 MK II Blower Motor

Post by nonnus »

Hello... Well.... my blower motor also stop working (winter time, best time to stop working)... my is the C5 mk II (2004 facelift)... What is strange is that I still hear some very faint noises only when I turn on and when I turn off the ventilation. Is it possible to be the also just the Blower Control Module?? Or the motor itself?? And where is the location of those??
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 05 Jan 2022, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into new topic as not relevant to C5 X7
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: C5 MK II Blower Motor

Post by Paul-R »

If the Mk2 is the same as the Mk1 then there is a segmented indicator amongst the heater controls showing how fast the fan motor should be spinning at. IIRC (it was quite a few years go) when I switched the ignition on in my Mk1 the indicator would show a number of segments for a few seconds while the system tries to spin the motor up and then clear them when the motor doesn't spin. Does yours do that?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
ml11ML
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2003 C5 Break 2.2 HDI

Post by ml11ML »

It might also be smart to check the engine bay fusebox blower fuse before taking apart anything else... Last week my blower stopped and I found that the fuse had black contacts and was partially melted (the plastic shell, it didn't actually pop the fuse itself). After cleaning it works well again.
Attachments
photo_2022-01-05_00-21-16.jpg
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My previous C5 had this trouble, I bought and fitted a control for it but it wasn't fixed, that turned out to be a melted under bonnet fuse board, resistance in a poor connection causes the fuse to heat up and melt the plastic around it.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
nonnus

Post by nonnus »

Thanks for the answers... Well... A little update... My blower still works, or I might say "kinda" works... When I start the car I turn on the blower, and it works... but sometimes after a while it turns off after a few minutes, can be 5, can be 10 or 20 minutes (the fan on display info still has the blades on) and I sense some air coming like the circuit still opened... I've tried to search on the dash about the resistor, but I can't find it, not the left nor the right side... Assuming I know the shape of the resistor... :?: :!: :? :?
Through some research at Service box and the web... I found this: Image
see numbers 3 and 11... the image seams, they are the same unit.

But I think they are not because number 3 (6441T6) looks like this: Image
and I think this is the right one.

What is strange is that the other reference number 11 (6441L2) is supposedly this: Image
but I'm pretty sure that this one is wrong...
ml11ML
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2003 C5 Break 2.2 HDI

Post by ml11ML »

My mk1 has the one in the second picture for sure (number 11) as I had to replace it last year. It was located on the right side of the car (with glove box removed looking through the hole way back to the firewall and at the bottom) and was held in to the blower box with 2 screws. There are really thick cables going into it so it's pretty hard to miss. On mine the connectors were all melted as well (apparently a known fault with these?) so I had to solder the wires on to the new one.

No idea if they changed it for the facelift but it's worth a look.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

The first resistor pack (the simpler one) is fitted to cars with manual air conditioning. In RHD cars it is situated (in the Mk1, probably also Mk2) in the passenger (LH) footwell on the right in the heater unit.

The second one with the aluminium fins is a control pack and is more complicated than just a bunch of resistors. It is fitted to Mk1 cars (probably Mk2 as well) with automatic air conditioning (climate control). In RHD cars it is situated in the RH (driver's) footwell on the left.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

ml11ML wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 22:15 My mk1 has the one in the second picture for sure (number 11) as I had to replace it last year. It was located on the right side of the car (with glove box removed looking through the hole way back to the firewall and at the bottom) and was held in to the blower box with 2 screws. There are really thick cables going into it so it's pretty hard to miss. On mine the connectors were all melted as well (apparently a known fault with these?) so I had to solder the wires on to the new one.

No idea if they changed it for the facelift but it's worth a look.
My Mk1 was exactly like that. the first time it went wrong I was able to remake the connections. The second time I had to change the control unit as well as repair the connections.

Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

To confirm the position of the two types of speed regulator / resistor / control unit. They are in exactly the same position in the car - RH footwell for finned type, LH footwell for simpler resistor type. Being RHD or LHD makes no difference to this, just alters the difficulty if you have brake pedals in the way or not!

nonnus

Post by nonnus »

After seeing some pictures and response... It's not very hard to locate it... I went to look again for the location of the resistor (both left and right side) and I really didn't find out any of the above pictures resistors and connections... I forgot to take pictures for your appreciation... I must take some pictures to show you that really is a mystery for my Mk2 C5 and (not a mystery to Mk1)...
Clive1991
New User
My Cars: Own C5 2.0 HDI VTR
Scraped C8 2.0 HDI

Post by Clive1991 »

Hi just wondering if someone could give me and idea what it my be for my heating blowing opposite to whatever I have my driverside set to so when I set my duel zone to blow hot air only the driver side does then when I change the driver to cold the passenger side blows warm air
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The problem may be one or more issues:

You may have an air distribution or air mixing flap problem where the gears on the spindles wear and no longer move. Or it may be the heater matrix is blocked.

You'll need to do some specific tests to try and work out what the issue is.

Air Distribution:
Focus on one side at a time, try adjusting the air direction to top, middle or bottom to see if the air DISTRIBUTION flap is working. Check this operation on both sides. You need to ensure the flap is directing the air as requested. You may need to wait a few seconds for the motors to complete the movement before you feel the air direction change. Have the fan speed set so you can feel the airflow.

Air Mixing:
First set the air distribution to the front air vents on the dash, so it is easier to check.
Once you have the fan speed set so you can feel the air, start focussing on one side at a time and go through cold to hot and allow time for the motors to adjust. Check on each side what happens when you change from hot to cold and also what the opposite side is dong at the same time. Repeat for the other side.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc