Citroen C3 I (2002) - Heater/blower fans don't stop

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ssilviu250
My Cars: Citroen C3 I (2002)

Citroen C3 I (2002) - Heater/blower fans don't stop

Post by ssilviu250 »

Hello there, my name's John and I'm new to this forum. I came here because of a strange issue. When I turn on the engine, the fans start blasting at max speed at 8/8 altough the display shows 1/8. Normally pressing the - button when at 1/8 would just turn off the heating/fans and the display, right now display turns off as usual but the fans still spin for some reason. Oh at this moment the displays also lights instantly when the engine starts. By default the display turns on only when I press a button around there. I've looked online for some fixes but the only similar thing I found is people not having their fans blowing air at all. If anyone knows a fix please let me know, the sound of the fans blasting at full speed all the time is deafening and can't even hear the engine or anything else inside or outside the car.
Edit: forgot to mention, increasing or decreasing the temperature works, but it still getting blown by the fans at max speed

Here's a little video I recorder of the problem in case it's easier to understand what I'm trying to deliver. Thank you for reading this!
ozvtr
My Cars: Citroen C2 VTR
Citroen C3 SX
Citroen C3 in bits

Re: Citroen C3 I (2002) - Heater/blower fans don't stop

Post by ozvtr »

The fan is run by an electronic speed controller. Is is quite common for these to fail now that the C3 is getting a bit older. They can short circuit or open circuit, meaning the fan can stop running or run continuously.
The controller is located at the back of the air distribution box on the (in your case) the passenger side. It is identified by the two bright green connectors on it.
There are plenty of videos on youtube for how to remove it form Peugeot/Citroen cars.
Chinese knock-off replacements are available from Ebay but be careful of the quality. They can be DOA.
ssilviu250

Post by ssilviu250 »

ozvtr wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 21:52 The fan is run by an electronic speed controller. Is is quite common for these to fail now that the C3 is getting a bit older. They can short circuit or open circuit, meaning the fan can stop running or run continuously.
The controller is located at the back of the air distribution box on the (in your case) the passenger side. It is identified by the two bright green connectors on it.
There are plenty of videos on youtube for how to remove it form Peugeot/Citroen cars.
Chinese knock-off replacements are available from Ebay but be careful of the quality. They can be DOA.
Hey, thank you for your reply. I watched a video on youtube and went ahead and removed it so I can look up the serial number on it. Now when I turn on the engine the fans don't work at all (the display works tho), so it has to be this controller, otherwise I'd still have the same or even a different issue, right? At least now I can drive to a car parts store without my eardrums ringing. Right now:

I tried looking online for this controller using the "serial number" or whatever it is written on it (F657165W_L) as it can be seen below

but every site I end up on doesn't mention this code, they all have this "OE - 6441L2" whatever that means, like for example on this site (https://comnico.ro/cauta/6441L2__2/ordonare_pret-asc). Would buying any from this site be compatible with the version of my C3? Can I somehow check if this OE product will work using my VIN?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

For a MK I C3 you need this Blower Control Unit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192886968696
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
ssilviu250

Post by ssilviu250 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 06:22 For a MK I C3 you need this Blower Control Unit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192886968696
Hello, thank you for your reply. Is it located in a different place? Because at the passanger's side (UK driver's side) I only found this - https://prnt.sc/22f8vwk
Also are these two parts, the one you linked and the one I linked, two completely different things?
This is my VIN in case it helps somehow - VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Last edited by ssilviu250 on 09 Dec 2021, 14:44, edited 3 times in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so you have a late 2002 model which has the one you linked to above. The one I linked to is for models without A/C. Always better to have the VIN.

Marc
ozvtr
Citroen C3 SX
Citroen C3 in bits

Post by ozvtr »

ssilviu250 wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 07:25

Hello, thank you for your reply. Is it located in a different place? Because at the passanger's side (UK driver's side) I only found this - https://prnt.sc/22f8vwk
Also are these two parts, the one you linked and the one I linked, two completely different things?
This is my VIN in case it helps somehow - VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] (placed dots so it doesnt get censored)
Yes they are completely different. Yours has the electronic speed controller that is run by the digital display. The other type is for the 'manual' control panel, the ones with a fan speed control knob.
ssilviu250

Post by ssilviu250 »

Update: I installed it back because windows were frozen in the morning and I had to warm it up. While driving to the store to order the new part, I smelled smoke and melted plastic and about 5 seconds later the fans stopped completely. Hazards on, parked the car and I quickly went ahead and removed the fan controller. After removing it, the smell and smoke went away. I sniffed the controller and it was reeking of burnt plastic. Continued on my way without it and placed the order for a new one, should arrive tomorrow. Is there any chance that a fuze also went down with the fan controller? Although the display still works.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You may have caught it in time - just try and get an original or good brand as a replacement - cheap ones are known to fail very quickly if they work at all!

Marc
ozvtr
Citroen C3 SX
Citroen C3 in bits

Post by ozvtr »

ssilviu250 wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 14:52 Update: I installed it back because windows were frozen in the morning and I had to warm it up. While driving to the store to order the new part, I smelled smoke and melted plastic and about 5 seconds later the fans stopped completely. Hazards on, parked the car and I quickly went ahead and removed the fan controller. After removing it, the smell and smoke went away. I sniffed the controller and it was reeking of burnt plastic. Continued on my way without it and placed the order for a new one, should arrive tomorrow. Is there any chance that a fuze also went down with the fan controller? Although the display still works.
:( Check the metal pins and the plastic around them in the green plugs of the wiring loom. The risk is damage to electrical plug on the loom side. If you are lucky it will just be something internal to the speed controller that blew up. You are replacing that any way. If the plugs are OK and not melted, you should be good to go.
ssilviu250

Post by ssilviu250 »

The new controller arrived today and I went to an automotive electrician to have the car checked just in case. I would have installed it myself if it wasn't for the smoke and burnt plastic smell, you can't play with fire. It turned out only the old controller got fried up and nothing else was damaged. Thank you everyone for your help!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No worries, lucky you sorted it in time.

Marc