3.0 V6 valve covers....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AlvinCitroenC5
My Cars: 2005 Citroen C5 II

3.0 V6 valve covers....

Post by AlvinCitroenC5 »

My 2005 C5 V6's most rearward alloy valve cover is leaking again. I have replaced it once, and now I have been told that they are discontinued production. I have cleared away the original seal material and applied Permatex sealant, and it worked for about 15000KM and it is leaking again. Have anyone got any luck using sealant as a solution? There are refurbished alloy covers that available, and it seems both the factory and refurbished units are lined with a sealant also. Or have anyone tried cutting a gasket for this? I have no issues with the other 3 valve covers, with the exception to the most rearward one. Any proven way to fix this if the original ones are no longer available? Thanks.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: 3.0 V6 valve covers....

Post by xantia_v6 »

The original sealant used by the factory is Loctite 5910. https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/nz/en ... _5910.html

Due to the shape of the edge of the covers, you need to use quite a thick bead in this application. I have done a number of these over the years, and provided that it is laid on with the correct thickness, I have never had one leak again. I clean both sides of the joint , put the sealant on the cover, wait a few minutes for the surface of the sealant to start to cure, smear some clean oil on the other face and then tighten down.

There is also another joint between the casting that the camshaft sits on and the cylinder head itself. These can also leak, causing similar symptoms. A thin bead of the same sealant is used there. viewtopic.php?t=37551