The P.E.Video Show

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Winter Walks

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Not fancying Andrew Marr or the London Marathon, I did a bit of scanning of BBC4 A-Z on the firestick.

Got down to W, and Winter Walks.

First one popped up by the side was one featuring Selina Scott with a walk in Wharfedale in Yorkshire. Perked my interest enough to watch it. Gorgeous scenery and even some random knowledge gathering out of curiosity.

She recited a little bit of poetry at one point, Leisure by WH Davies.

I'll put up a little question on the PE Quiz thread to tease out a link from that to a Citroen Advert.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: The P.E.Video Show

If the gentle Winter Walks failed to hit the spot, (I've watched all 5 now on the I-player and enjoyed every one), there is always that treasure trove on youtube which is old films from the likes of Pathe and others.

Try the Pylon Men (1956) or indeed the Pylon Men (1966)

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

How refreshing to see real men doing work that needs doing regardless of nambi pambi safety rules!!! Not a hard hat or pair of goggles to be seen let alone a safety harness or risk assessment and method statement!! Love it!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Interesting to see Paul Brackley back with Ed China. The Electric Ice Cream Van has been reconverted to Diesel! But another Ice Cream Van of more classic status appears to have replaced it. More interesting was Paul's "Trigger's Brush" announcement that, despite two engines and two Dual Mass Flywheels in his Sprinter Van, he was still using the complete original clutch! In a 17 year old van?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon

If you are interested in Music, Rick Beato on you tube has a great collection of videos. jUst watched a couple. He himself is a fantastic musician mainly guitar.

He has a series "What Makes this song so good" :?: Just watched number 91 Amelia by Joni Mitchell. Really makes you appreciate just how brilliant many musicians are.

I also watched one on Sting which Rick illustrated with a couple of tracks and came to the conclusion that Sting was Uncopyable in his song construction.

and perhaps most surprising of a a pop song by Sergio Mendes Not particulaly notable in itself although it was number 1 in a few countries, which Rick discovered was one of the most complex songs to play.

We have come across Rick before on the FCF with his top 20 introductions to songs, and also as I discovered a rant about Apple products posted up by Marc on the Computer Systems thread :-D

Youtube Channel here

https://www.youtube.com/c/RickBeato/sea ... so%20great

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Well worth posting that up Neil. I have just been watching his take on Bohemian Rhapsody and I have to agree he is quite brilliant. His insight and analysis alone warrant comment not to mention his own musicianship. I have a terrible feeling that much time will be spent catching up with his 108+ videos!! Here is the one which captured me: :-D

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

While looking at the posts on the PE Jukebox and the references to the northern lights I had one of my cryptic thoughts which eventually led me to this video! The question is can you supply a tenuous link? :?: (I may have to emigrate after revealing what's on the card :-D :-D )

NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 22:16 While looking at the posts on the PE Jukebox and the references to the northern lights I had one of my cryptic thoughts which eventually led me to this video! The question is can you supply a tenuous link? :?: (I may have to emigrate after revealing what's on the card :-D :-D )

On presuming the link required is between the posts on the Northern Lights and the video.

The Video Features Billy Cotton the band leader of Wayey Wakey, and I've got a luvverly bunch of Coconuts notoriety.

Let's get into the mind of the Maverick and come up with a link which is tenuous.

My link goes with the light programme and light entertainment.

Billy the band leader was of course a stalwart of the light programme on radio himself, but his son Sir Bill Cotton rose to the dizzy heights of BBC head of light entertainment 1970 to 1977.

So theres the link...the Northern lights are what might be described as Light Entertainment, and the Cotton link takes us to the head of light entertainment, responsible for light entertainment shows in the 1970's.

I think if I haven't hit the nail on the head with that tenuous link, your answer on the card requires clues

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

No clues required, you smashed it Neil!! In fact such a detailed and accurate assessment of my thought process I will be able to avoid emigration and concentrate on checking my cranium for bugs!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Plenty more from the Thames Television "Drive-in" Stable.

Picked this one out because it does a comparison of the much maligned Allegro and the VW Passat 1973 vintage.

Interesting comment on the VW Passat at 4.16 in which I have conveniently started this clip at.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Honestly this is very much worth watching if just for James Lovelock (at 101 years) the Scientist and his recollections towards its conclusion.

From the same channel (Tom Scott) as the "Trolley Trucks" viewtopic.php?p=701878#p701878

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I can't make my mind up about Jonny but some of the cars he has managed to get to his show are worth a look, a couple that really intrigued me but I'll let you make your own choices!! :-D

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

A quick look round as we landed at Kemble!! :-D

And a more famous one:

NewcastleFalcon

Amazon Prime free month turned up another excellent programme on "Morris" including an extensive bit on the Minor, and a piece on Charles Ware's Morris Minor Centre. Included a reference to the full catalogue of replacement panels made by hand in Sri-Lanka.

Bit of a long watch but a series of youtube vids from the Morris Minor Centre, covers the story of that operation
Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... fikoIJWcZ

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey