Peugeot Planet

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stafford52
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: o6 xsara picasso exclusive

Peugeot Planet

Post by stafford52 »

What is "Peugeot Planet"?
Its a piece of diagnostic equipment designed just for Peugeot vehicles.
Why is Peugeot Planet better than other code readers?

Peugeot Planet can do so much more, besides giving detailed information on some fault codes which may relate only to Peugeots, it can read live data of all the major components of the car and even test components. Some code readers also fail to pick up fault codes.
I've done some tests with various scanners on my car with known EGR, diesel heater sensor, and glow plug faults and only Planet picked up these fault codes and read the live data to show that the parts were indeed faulty. And on two occasions I've known a national breakdown firm say that a customer's high pressure fuel pump has failed because that's what the code said, only for it to be an issue with the tank lift pump - one was a blocked filter, the other was weak current to the pump due to an old battery.
I also do freelance work for a number of independent garages with various professional code readers. The fact they still need me to use Planet and Diagbox shows that even the expensive kit can't do everything for every car.

What is "Lexia" and "Diagbox" ?
Lexia3 is the name of the hardware cable that sits between the car and computer.
To add to the confusion "Lexia" is also the name of the software that diagnoses Citroens!

Diagbox is an all-in-one package that diagnoses Citroen and Peugeot vehicles, and the occasional troublesome 307 that Planet won't read. Its the only software application which still gets updated. However, it is quite a resource hungry program and needs a fairly fast laptop to run at an acceptable speed (certainly not a Netbook with less than 4Gb of RAM and no SSD).
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 24 Oct 2021, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Diagnostics
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Peugeot Planet

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Some of your post needs clarifying as it's not quite right :wink: :

Diagbox is the software that is used on Citroen, Peugeot and DS Automobiles vehicles from circa 2008 onwards. Diagbox also contains the encapsulated software (Lexia & PP2000 listed below) and will automatically launch the most appropriate version according to Marque, Model & Year.

Peugeot Planet 2000 is the software used to diagnose Peugeot vehicles up to circa 2007
Lexia is the software used to diagnose Peugeot vehicles up to circa 2007

The hardware is called the VCI (Vehicle Communications Interface) along with its cables.

A Lexia 3 is not a cable.

Today though, many people use the terms 'Diagbox' or 'Lexia Kit' to refer to the VCI hardware and the software - and even the laptop too.

All the purchasable units on the aftermarket are Chinese clones clones of varying quality, with the exception of the older original stand alone units that often had their own terminal. However, these were older units that were ex-dealer or garage and are probably no longer supported for later vehicles or updatable.

These kits are the closest one will get to dealer-level diagnostics. Be aware the some cheaper versions on the market do not contain all the hardware components inside the VCI so are unable to communicate at all or in many cases communicate with many ECUs on certain vehicles.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
stafford52
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: o6 xsara picasso exclusive

Post by stafford52 »

Yes you are quite correct Marc as the post was taken from information I had in a file dated 2012 and technology and life has moved on so quickly since then. I used PP2000 to diagnose my picasso back in those days. Updating and trying to use diagbox back then failed unfortunately, but even that software has greatly moved on since the days I tried it.
I have the manual for PP2000 in pdf format and a few videos doing work on xsaras but these are all available on youtube nowadays.... Please feel free to update my original post as and where you feel fit bringing it upto date.
I first became aware of PP2000 when my local garage in the village used it on my pic but forget what for now, but they were using a dell c610 and windows xp, oh I remember now they were programming two spare keys into the ECU is it? But they were so accustomed to its use that I could keep up with what was being done lol...
Steve (stafford52)
TrentBoxer
My Cars: Peugeot Boxer3 2.2L 2015

Post by TrentBoxer »

I certainly agree with Marc's comment that clone equipment quality can be a lottery.
I have a campervan based on a 2015 Boxer 3 and after experiencing an ECU issue compounded with current unavailability of micro chips/processors in the motor industry, thought that I needed to perform my own diagnostics on the vehicle. I bought a lexia 3 interface VCI from a very reputable supplier who I have complete confidence in together with his products.
My big problem came when I found that I had to obtain a S1279 module to connect between the VCI and vehicle in order to provide handshake connection. Unfortunately my VCI supplier no longer sells them due to inconsistent quality issues so ebay was an alternative.
There are loads sellers of S1279 module and I took pot luck and bought one. After connecting VCI to S1279 to vehicle and performed a global scan only 3 ECUs on the K Line could be read (but did display incorrect faults) and no communication with any ECUs on the CAN network.
It appears that this is not an uncommon result and highlights a very weak link in the ability to use Lexia 3 VCIs to scan Boxer3 and it's Citroen Relay stable mate.
If any readers have any solutions (excluding purchase of dealer S1279) or can recommend a reputable S1279 supplier, I will be very grateful of your advice.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Does anyone know exactly what is inside an S1279 module? Is it a simple mapping of one pin in the plug end to a different one in the socket end or is there a circuit board with active electronics inside?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It obviously does some switching for the FIAT based vehicles - but I doubt very much it is just a matter of switching pins only, because the Chinese clones of these units notoriously fail more often than work. I think an original Actia version is a tad under £200.
S1279.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Anyone with an S1279 module care to open it up and take a few photos for the benefit of us all?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​