Blower don't work

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chip-Trix
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2004 Xsara 2.0 16V autmomatic.

Blower don't work

Post by Chip-Trix »

Hi, I have been reading post after post to look for some help with my issue with my Citroen Picasso Xsara 2004 2.0 16V automatic VIN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].

The Ac panel i working, I can go up and down in degrees, and turn blower op in level and so on, but the blower don't run.

Right now nearly everthing is disassembled in the car, blowermotor, both fuseboxes and a lot off other stuff.

I haven't seen or been able to find any diagram on this car, ( I hope that someone here can help)

I have tryed to find the way following the wires and have a found a way, the only problem is the relay on the fusebord in the enginecompartment isen't working, I have testet the relay, it works so it must be the activation off the relay witch is bad, at that time her tonigth I was frezing and went inside.

Tomorrow I must on the problem again if not anyone here can help me. Cokies, beers, or hotdog for anyone with a clue

NVH Tommy
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Blower don't work

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Tommy.

Welcome to the Forum and thank your for your generous donation. If you do require any official part numbers, please do ask.

As for the wiring, check back in a few minutes and I'll put something up for you.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Here you go, most of the hardware codes can be found in numerical order in sections on the Wiki:

https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/wiki/Elect ... ring_Codes

Diagram

Wiring

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Also, don't forget the blower motor resistor can fail on these. Some have the resistor built onto the blower moto itself - they look like a half horseshoe. When these go they work at either full blast or not at all.
Tommy Blower Motor.PNG

And here a video on replacing them:

Marc
Chip-Trix
(Donor 2021)

Post by Chip-Trix »

I can se my problem must be the ignitionswitch, I have 12v but i have put any load on when I messured, I can se it opens for the relay i just have been working on, thanks again
Chip-Trix
(Donor 2021)

Post by Chip-Trix »

I wrote thankyou thankyou very must just before, and some other stuff, I must be hanging in space somewhere, maybe the pigs in space from the Muppeths got it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problem - here's another video from a chap who had the ignition barrel issue affecting his blower motor you may want to look at.

It's a reason not to have lots of keys or weight dangling from the key chain in the ignition as it can cause wear with the weight and car movement.

Marc
Chip-Trix
(Donor 2021)

Post by Chip-Trix »

Hmmm, back again. I've messed with it a bit today, but have been disturbed a lot, however, have some of the things under control.
I now know that the fan engine runs when I press the relay points together on the relay R3 in PSF1, it was without the plug in 8045, with the mounted the engine is not running, the engine vibrated and made a lot of noise and it turned out that the wheel is cracked, so I have to find another one.
Since I don't really know Citroen's code system, I'm starting to lurk it by reading about it on wiki.
I've decided to draw out a chart where I can put the numbers and colors on which are in the car, they are not similar to those on the chart.
At the same time, I have a little trouble understanding how the coil in the relay is activated, both R3 and the one up in BSI1 seems to me to have the same connection on both sides of the coil and this does not work in my world.
Is there a troubleshooting procedure on each component, that would be nice.

Tommy
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Unfortunately not Tommy - there are no further breakdowns and PSA treat the BSI and Engine Fuseboxes as complete replacement parts.

I would ignore the colour codes of the wires as they are often not the same - what is important is the codes on the wires printed every so often and the PIN on the connector. Always use these and not the wiring colours.

Marc
ozvtr
My Cars: Citroen C2 VTR
Citroen C3 SX
Citroen C3 in bits

Post by ozvtr »

Chip-Trix wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 20:46 I now know that the fan engine runs when I press the relay points together on the relay R3 in PSF1
How are you pressing the points together? Have you cut a hole in the top of the relay?
Is the BSM (PSF1) potted? That is, is it filled with silicone?

Chip-Trix wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 20:46 At the same time, I have a little trouble understanding how the coil in the relay is activated, both R3 and the one up in BSI1 seems to me to have the same connection on both sides of the coil and this does not work in my world.
In the case of R3, power comes from the ignition switch to pin 9 of the 16 pin grey connector on the BSM (PSF1) then to the positive of R3's coil. The other side of the coil is connected to "the electronics" of the BSM (no further information).
In the case of the relay in the BSI, the relay is wholly driven by the electronics of the BSI (no further information).
This is the same as what happened in my son's C4. R3 failed and he lost the fan. We cut a hole in the top of R3 and bridged the contacts to get it to work. The BSM was potted so replacing the relay was out of the question.
Chip-Trix
(Donor 2021)

Post by Chip-Trix »

Hi, there is no silicone in the BSM, easy to open and I just poped the plastic cover on the relay. Main power to the R3 relay comes directly from the battery in a main cabel to the 8mm bolt, from her to all the fuses, over fuse 18 into the one side of the breaker in the relay, then from the other point to green connecter pin 16 in t to the blower. I will take it apart again and find the way true the electronics, But it will be tomorrow, it's nearly 3 in the morning now, have to go to bed.
ozvtr
My Cars: Citroen C2 VTR
Citroen C3 SX
Citroen C3 in bits

Post by ozvtr »

Power also goes out pin 8 of the green connector.
If you have access to the coil contacts of R3 you should have +12 volts on one side with the ignition on. Check for +12V at fuses F1 and F4. With the engine running you should have continuity to chassis ground on the other side of the relay coil. If you measure +12V on both sides of the relay coil, the BSM is stuffed. If you read +12V on one side and 0V on the other, the relay is stuffed.
Chip-Trix
(Donor 2021)

Post by Chip-Trix »

Hello again
I'm sorry the late answer, but I've been damn busy this week.
I took the BSM out again and measured it a little, it's not rocket science, just a print with relays. However, it is a little difficult to follow the print lanes, but I have had a lot of it decoded
I have also drawn up part of the whole system, but it’s a slightly messy affair, partly in English and Danish.
It must be possible to put pictures up here, then I can upload these.
However, I found out fairly quickly that the coil in R3 is faulty, there must be about 87-93 Ohm, I have measured that on the 3 other relays on the same board, so it just needs to be changed.
I don't know if I'll bother belching with it, I'm just running a wire around it, until I get a new one that I ordered on Ebay for 36 Euro inclusive freight.
I bought one in Spain where it's dry and hot.
The box, incidentally, fits a lot of different models of Citroen and Peugeot, not only on my model. There are at least 3 box types that immediately fit, but, buy only the one that has the same number as the existing box, there are small changes and missing fuses that you might just overlook.
It's stupid to spend as much time on an old box as my car is. But I hate replacing parts just to try, I want to measure and understand, it's like my way of resturing after work.
I onse again thanks Marc for the diagrams.

Tommy