Locked out of relay due to dead battery - can't charge. Help needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dilby
My Cars: Citroen Relay

Locked out of relay due to dead battery - can't charge. Help needed

Post by dilby »

Hi all -

I have a 2017 relay I've just purchased, but didn't drive for 3 and a half weeks due to insurance being sorted and going away on holiday. When I returned the battery was dead. I can open the drivers door only as it seems (and I've confirmed from reading online) that even the mechanical locks for passenger and rear doors require central locking to be working. I can't open the bonnet as the pull is on in the inside of the passenger dash, and blocked by the passenger door, which is a design flaw from reversing the left hand drive models and failing to relocate the bonnet pull. So from what I've read the tactic is to attach a trickle charger to the battery under cab floor (jumpers can damage electronics) and then once central locking works, open the bonnet pull and then charge normally via charging points under bonnet. However my trickle charger is showing an error and was hoping someone could help point out why. I could disconnect battery but I'm concerned about screwing up some electrics, and I'm still waiting for my codes from Citroen.
relay-battery.jpg
Thanks
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Locked out of relay due to dead battery - can't charge. Help needed

Post by white exec »

Hi, and welcome.
What a pain!
Possible that your (presumably intelligent) charger doesn't like looking at a flat battery, and is diagnosing it as defective, which is a nuisance. Is it possible that you could hook up an un-intelligent (old school) one, to the same accessible charging point?
Another possibility might be using a cigar-lighter socket as a feed-in, but only if the socket was one of the "always live" variety, and not via IGN sw. Maybe switching on the IGN would allow it to be used as a charge point, notwithstanding?

Bonnet-open is sometimes possible from the bonnet area, in an emergency.
Chris
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The bonnet cannot be opened, as the bonnet release lever is 'shielded' by the passenger door, making it inaccessible while that door is closed. My company van (Vauxhall Combo, which is basically a PSA van) has the same design.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

No, but wondering whether there could be any possible access at the bonnet. Sometimes the cable end or release link rod (if twin catches) can be grabbed or shoved.

Just trying to be helpful with guesswork. Expect there will be a 'book' solution.
I have the same door-covered lever on the XM, but it's not plagued by powered-access only.
Chris
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Excuse me being out of date/touch but what's to stop a simple jump start?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 17:29 Excuse me being out of date/touch but what's to stop a simple jump start?
Absolutely nothing.

Sometimes you have to jump it straight from the battery as you dont get a good enough connection on the under bonnet jump points.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Also if a battery is that flat after less than a month that there's not even enough juice to operate the central locking id say something has been left switched on or the battery is totally knackered/dead cell.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Shouldn't have happened but obviously has. A battery recharge is needed even if just to test the battery. After that a check of the systems is going to be a must.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The most common fault on the older stuff was a duff diode in the alternator but with the modern stuff and all the electronics still running when the car's parked up it's quite likely to get a flat battery after a month, especially in the winter months.
My C5 will get below starting voltage after about ten days but I've sorted that with an AA solar charger stuck in the windscreen.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
dilby

Post by dilby »

wheeler wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 18:54
Gibbo2286 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 17:29 Excuse me being out of date/touch but what's to stop a simple jump start?
Absolutely nothing.

Sometimes you have to jump it straight from the battery as you dont get a good enough connection on the under bonnet jump points.
Cheers - I've just read cautions on doing this as it can screw up other electrical components, and that a trickle charge is always recommended instead, with a jump being a last resort. However I'm not entirely sure what constitutes a jump start; I always assumes it was the rolling push start, but others seem to think it's jump cables from another vehicle. I'm going to rule out the rolling start if I can as my street (busy road) and the size of my van might make that a little dicey. I can jump it from my main vehicle as a last resort; does anyone know if it'd be safer to take the connectors off the existing van and connect to van battery and charge for a bit or is it better to leave them on and just charge enough to get van running? Thanks
dilby

Post by dilby »

Dormouse wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 19:33 Shouldn't have happened but obviously has. A battery recharge is needed even if just to test the battery. After that a check of the systems is going to be a must.
Thanks - do you know of the best way to test battery drain and find any culprit?
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

dilby wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 09:02However I'm not entirely sure what constitutes a jump start; I always assumes it was the rolling push start..
No, that's a bump start.
dilby wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 09:02... but others seem to think it's jump cables from another vehicle.
Now that's a jump start.

It doesn't have to be from another vehicle. If you have a fully charged spare battery that could be used. Also some of the higher spec mains supplied battery chargers have a "Fast charge and Start" option. There are also dedicated battery start boxes which contain a small battery and some clever electronics which can supply a starting boost.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

I have had to chase a battery drain on our 3008 hybrid4 myself and there are lots of threads on the forum about the general procedures. Have a search and if you can't find any suitable answers get back and we can help you more specifically. Pretty much the general method means removing fuses until you find the circuit and then narrow it down from there. A full set of fault codes from a Diagbox session would help.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Simply connecting a booster battery on the van should energise the central locking enough to open. It might not actually start the van but at least you could reach the bonnet catch handle. Charge the battery, then we can sort you from there.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

ps. With a 12v battery attached to your van battery a charger that won't kick in for the main battery alone will kick in when it sees the raised voltage with two connected. After about 15 mins you should be able to just charge the main battery as it's voltage should have risen with the piggy back charging.