Citroen C6 Software Update at Home

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jamescarruthers
Donor 2023
My Cars: 1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 3.0 petrol Exclusive

Citroen C6 Software Update at Home

Post by jamescarruthers »

A bit of a mad idea, but with my EasyDiagnostics Lexia/Diagbox kit, can I update the car's software if I were to buy a Service Box licence? I understand that these can be bought for a short-ish period of time. Or, would this be very unwise due to the Lexia/Diagbox software being a very naughty version and best not letting it phone home.

I ask because the C6 is well known for having a suspension update available to reduce pitching motion on long undulating roads. It would also be nice to check all other ECUs are at the latest-and-greatest revision. I had my Avantime updated at Renault (same engine as the C6) and they put a new engine ECU version on which sorted its occasional stumbling when cold so I think it would be worthwhile on the C6 also.

I had planned to just take it to the dealer and pay for an hour or two of labour but maybe I can do it myself when logged in?

What do you guys think? Any experience of such madness?!
1987 Volvo 480 ES
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Citroen C6 Software Update at Home

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wouldn't. DiagBox/Lexia was never released to the public by the PSA Group, and they have this habit of disabling any unauthorised DiagBox equipment that becomes 'visible' to them.

Something that you might want to consider is that, should something go wrong with the update while Citroen have the car, they would have to put it right and (unless it was due to something on the C6 not working) it would be at their cost (although they might try to wriggle out of it). However, if you were to do the update and it went wrong it could get expensive.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Second that.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think you are referring to tokens that can be purchased for a single VIN or for a period of time - either way they are time limited - however, as said, connecting a clone interface may cause issues once connected.

Unlike computers, ECU updates for vehicles are not the norm. ECU updates are generally only applied for a specific reason and then to specific vehicles that may be exhibiting specific issues. They can also 'downgrade' features too, so be aware.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
jamescarruthers
Donor 2023

All good advice, I will go with the dealer on this one.

I’d better just mention the suspension pitching then as the main problem because that’s all I really want to make sure is updated before me the dealer forgets what a C6 is!

Do we have a list of alerts for cars so we can see what they were recalled for?
1987 Volvo 480 ES
jamescarruthers
Donor 2023

For example, are there any more like this one for the suspension pitching (c/oC6owners)
006137CA-F8B6-460A-88D3-1C4EC943E2CF.jpeg
Last edited by myglaren on 05 Sep 2021, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image rotated
1987 Volvo 480 ES
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I don't have your VIN James - if you've previously PM'd me with it - it will have gone as my inbox gets full quite quickly, so I regularly have to clear out messages.

There will be differences between a recall of course which are generally safety-related where customers can be notified (assuming that Citroen has your details) or there can be after-sales campaigns for action the technical department need to take if the VIN is flagged up when the vehicle is booked in at a dealership for any other reason. Normally these would be picked up at a service for example.

Additional to that, there are Technical Service Bulletins are issued for accumulated known problems over time for certain issues on vehicles. These are very vehicle-specific. They can be checked against a customer complaint, or when specific symptoms are presented, or if specific fault codes are returned on a diagnostic scan that will detail any procedure to be undertaken or any warranty claim process if applicable for a faulty part.

As you can see from the one you quoted, that concerns the CSS suspension computer (which is only fitted to C5 and C6 V6-engined vehicles). Further it is only the V6 C6 vehicles with AMVAR, which have dampening actuators fitted on each corner strut. V6 models have 2 suspension ECUs, one built into the BHI and a separate one (CSS) on these models. You can also see that they are told only to apply the software update if "the customer complains about the comfort level".

Marc
jamescarruthers
Donor 2023

I will get the VIN for you. I’m away from home but my wife can get it for me.

The suspension does the pitching like my previous one didn’t so maybe it is due the upgrade. I don’t mind paying them… I imagine the “only if the customer complains” part is to keep costs and work down during the warranty period.

My C6 is a V6 petrol so will have all the AMVAR magic on it.

The reason I’ve gone down this route is basically my last step before I replace the sphere, but that can wait until next year. The car was once on a pretty bad road and pit itself in to hard mode and it was absolutely awful to be in— proper bouncing around! Therefore maybe the update is necessary
1987 Volvo 480 ES
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Be aware James that the C6 is also known for actuator issues on the struts - these can make all the difference to the ride as the damping is actively controlled by the actuators on the strut top. They suffered from problems - I think there's a fair bit on these issues on C6 Owners. In some cases the software update can sort some of the issues - but it depends on the exact issues. A faulty actuator might be hard to detect - but seasoned C6 owners of course will have 'the feel' for when something isn't right I suspect.

Marc
hattershaun
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C6 3.0HDi Exclusive
SM 3.0 manual 1972
DS 23 Pallas 1975
GSA Pallas C-Matic 1982
C3 Pluriel 2009

Post by hattershaun »

James, I'd get all your spheres pressure tested before worrying about software updates.
In my experience a C6 with spheres at reduced pressures will exhibit the symptoms you described & the software update won’t counteract that.
The early C6, of which yours is one, drove as though the rear of the car was too soft & the rear of the car would bob up/down on bumpy/undulating roads, particularly if carrying passengers in the rear.
The software update changed the damper valve settings, effectively eliminating the softest settings. Remember there are 16 different damper valve settings for each corner sphere.

I tend to put the suspension into sport mode when carrying luggage & rear passengers, this stops the car bobbing up/down as much.

If your car seems really stiff in sport mode or when cornering hard (when the central spheres are most likely to be switched out of the hydraulic circuit), this suggests the outer spheres (one on each wheel) are low on pressure.
Shaun

C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive - 2010
SM 3.0 - 1972
DS 23 Pallas - 1975
GSA Pallas C-Matic - 1982
C3 Pluriel - 2009
jamescarruthers
Donor 2023

Good point Shaun. I’m not far from Pleiades and they checked and re-charged the spheres on the last C6 I had.

Other than this one episode where it went rock hard on a pretty bumpy road, I’d say mine has good manners until pushed.

Good to know the detail of the upgrade which removed the softest settings. I will now go down the sphere route then.
1987 Volvo 480 ES