Directional headlamp fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mase89
My Cars: DS4 2.0 Hdi

Directional headlamp fault

Post by Mase89 »

Hi
Lady owner DS4 62PLATE 2.0 hDI

Basically when my headlamp settings are set to auto on my stick. In the day I have no issues no errors.
As soon as it's starts to go dark or I go under a bridge the car senses it's darker and I get the following flash up "directional headlamp fault" and the headlight symbol starts to flash on my dash and does not disappear.
My lights seem to be working fine as in the evening when it's dark they are on once the fault comes up once the headlamp symbol just flashes.
I've read a few post but nothing helping just confusing me even more.

Any help is appreciated.
=}
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Directional headlamp fault

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi and welcome.

What you'll find is that if you have directional headlamps, they will have a levelling system inside the units to make sure they don't dazzle oncoming drivers as they'll be Bi-Xenon directional lamps.

When the headlamps are activated, the headlamp ECU goes through a self-test to make sure the motorised units in each headlamp are operating properly. If they don't complete the check correctly a message will come up as you have described and the headlamp warning light will flash. This essentially means that the directional function of the lamps is disabled, leaving you with a standard static lamp that does not move. So the same applies even if you go under a bridge in the daytime - anything where it is dark enough to activate the headlamps - the same warning will be triggered.

So your headlamps will work, but they just won't provide the directional turning function until the fault is corrected.

It is possible that one of the motors has failed, or could be an electrical connection, so it needs some investigation.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Mase89
My Cars: DS4 2.0 Hdi

Re: Directional headlamp fault

Post by Mase89 »

Thank you Marc. I'll have to take it to a garage as I wouldn't know where to start with the electrical connection bit. Do you know where the motors will be located ?