Everything about Tyres

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Everything about Tyres

Post by myglaren »

Damned shame Mick.
Unfair that you will have to bear the cost of someone else's inconsiderate driving.
At least you were unhurt.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Hertfordshire welcomes careful drivers....well maybe not today

Cheshunt: Police hurt before stolen car driven along railway line

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-57849890

temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 11:47...and buy two new ones for the front at £80 the pair.
Toyo NanoEnergy 3's :?:

New Tyres at £40 each :?: for a 1994 Mazda MX3 Original Alloys...bargain basement tyre purchasing Mick :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

No my tyre man is bringing back a pair of continentals to match the two I have from his trip to Germany this weekend where he sources all my tyres. They will be as new with 600-1000 miles use by his brother in Frankfurt from his 3 wheel delivery van! Balanced and fitted for £40 each. Personally I prefer slightly used better quality tyres than new cheap ones for the same cost. :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Seems as good a topic as any under the umbrella of this thread.

Anyone habitually buy used tyres :?:

Useful to have a Tyre Man dedicated to your needs Mick. You send him over to Germany, he gets 2 tyres of exactly the make/spec you require which someone in Germany has foolishly acquired new done 600-1000 miles in them, and thought Mick needs these I'll get a fresh set.

Not sure who has the 3-wheeled van, your tyre man or his brother in Frankfurt Germany,

I'm sure some joiners in can make a bit of a contribution.

REgards Neil

PS again bang on topic here, Steve's contribution from some other place :-D
myglaren wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 16:45 The ditchfinders on mine were £40 each from a local tyre supply company (less than a mile from home).

I can't remember what they are and while they were a bit crap when new they seem fine now, a year on, and are lasting far better than anything on the C5s, where I had to change them every MOT, usually 6~7,000 miles.

'Oak Tyres' - carved from solid wood :)

Ed:-
Oak are the distributors, the tyres it seems are Davanti. Never heard of them before.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 17:47 Seems as good a topic as any under the umbrella of this thread.

Anyone habitually buy used tyres :?:

Useful to have a Tyre Man dedicated to your needs Mick. You send him over to Germany, he gets 2 tyres of exactly the make/spec you require which someone in Germany has foolishly acquired new done 600-1000 miles in them, and thought Mick needs these I'll get a fresh set.

Not sure who has the 3-wheeled van, your tyre man or his brother in Frankfurt Germany,

I'm sure some joiners in can make a bit of a contribution.

REgards Neil
Its his brother in Germany, not Frankfurt as I said because my daughter lives near there, who works for VW and drives round their plant in his little van. They change the tyres regularly in order to evaluate tyres for their production vehicles so I believe!! My man goes over there every two months in his Sprinter and brings back whatever stock is available and Continentals are abundant so my last few sets of tyres have come from that route!! I was just lucky that this happened to be a scheduled weekend trip! Don't look a gift horse..... :-D
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I used to use Continentals on the big Austin Westminsters they gave good results.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Yes I find them pretty good all rounders, not much tyre noise, reasonable wear, I usually get 10-12k out of the nearly news I use and perfectly adequate wet road grip. They suit me very well, which is fortunate as beggars can't be choosers :-D :-D
4cvg
My Cars: 1958 Renault 4CV (modified)
1966 Renault R8 (modified)
1966 Matra Djet V

Post by 4cvg »

mickthemaverick wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 16:00 No my tyre man is bringing back a pair of continentals to match the two I have from his trip to Germany this weekend where he sources all my tyres. They will be as new with 600-1000 miles use by his brother in Frankfurt from his 3 wheel delivery van! Balanced and fitted for £40 each. Personally I prefer slightly used better quality tyres than new cheap ones for the same cost. :-D

A query & two observations:

First, what sort of Contis are these?

Second, regardless of the answer, they will be better tyres (in the wet especially) than the Toyo NanoEnergy 3 (especially if they are some sort of PremiumContact but even if EcoContact tyres) & a matched set is better for handling balance than a mismatched set.

Third, even with 4 matched Contis of some sort, the two new ones are going to be younger than the remnant pair. Tyre compounds degrade with time & wet grip suffers. I suggest putting the two older ones together at the front end & the two newer ones at the back. As for rotation, if the manufacturing date of the two pairs is over 3 years different, my own inclination would be to not just put the older ones at the (higher wear) front end but to leave them there to chop out as soon as possible so that a more closely date-matched set of tyres would be on the vehicle. If they are closer in age & you would like them to wear out at around the same time then an X pattern rotation is recommended. This swaps the highest wearing corner (left front) with the lowest wearing one (right rear).

cheers! Peter
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

X pattern tyre changes are not always easily possible, many modern tyres are directional so would need to be turned on the rims.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Peter, thanks for your interest and I think you'll find the answers to your queries on the thread I moved the story to:
viewtopic.php?p=692177#p692177

I'm afraid I always go on the "best tyres in most important places" philosophy so the front wheels which are responsible for steering, 70% of the braking load and all the traction on this vehicle will always get the best of the tyres available. The rear wheels get the front tyres put on them and the new ones go on the front every time a new pair are needed.

Thus I tend to run down to 2.5mm on the rear by which time the fronts are around 4.5-5mm and then put two new ones on the front, 7-8mm from Germany or this time brand new and move the 4.5-5mm ones to the back. Works fine for me, and I never have to fork out for 4 tyres at the same time which aids my budgeting.

On this occasion following the incident, I now have unbalanced tread depths on the back for the next 3000 or so miles but they will both be swapped when the original offside back tyre gets down to 2.5mm and the nearside will probably still have 3-4mm having come from the front with 6mm on it.

Works for me!! :-D
4cvg
1966 Matra Djet V

Post by 4cvg »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 18:00 X pattern tyre changes are not always easily possible, many modern tyres are directional so would need to be turned on the rims.
Yes but the tyres in question (Conti PC or EC) are not directional. With directional tyres (of same size & type) the pattern for rotation is H.
4cvg
1966 Matra Djet V

Post by 4cvg »

mickthemaverick wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 18:48 Peter, thanks for your interest and I think you'll find the answers to your queries on the thread I moved the story to:
viewtopic.php?p=692177#p692177

I'm afraid I always go on the "best tyres in most important places" philosophy so the front wheels which are responsible for steering, 70% of the braking load and all the traction on this vehicle will always get the best of the tyres available. The rear wheels get the front tyres put on them and the new ones go on the front every time a new pair are needed.

Thus I tend to run down to 2.5mm on the rear by which time the fronts are around 4.5-5mm and then put two new ones on the front, 7-8mm from Germany or this time brand new and move the 4.5-5mm ones to the back. Works fine for me, and I never have to fork out for 4 tyres at the same time which aids my budgeting.

On this occasion following the incident, I now have unbalanced tread depths on the back for the next 3000 or so miles but they will both be swapped when the original offside back tyre gets down to 2.5mm and the nearside will probably still have 3-4mm having come from the front with 6mm on it.

Works for me!! :-D
That thread gives us:
mickthemaverick wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 20:25 Well, egg on face time :-D despite what I said about Continentals it turns out that there were none the right size available so my man has supplied me with a pair of mid range brand new tyres for the same price. I now have a pair of Marshal MH12's on the front which do stand up quite well in the Euro ratings. Having driven 60 miles of mixed driving this afternoon I can confirm that they are very quiet on the high speed stuff and grip and track very well so I am happy with them!!:
. . . unquote]

Hmm! I note your motivation but much depends the type of tyre. With a mixed set of budget (not mid) & premium tyres & with the premium tyres of mixed ages & tread depths you are potentially in a bad place in an emergency brake &/or swerve.

Most tyres feel 0K in normal pootling around but some can become "Mr Hyde" when asked to do something extraordinary. Note that this is not a comment on driving style but upon events eventing in a sudden way.

I know nothing much of the MH12 & TyreReviews has only one test of its predecessor, the MH11; note the dramatic discrepancy in wet braking distances compared to the Conti PC5.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/201 ... g-Test.htm

Note also that the simple braking test done for the Euro ratings gives a very low score of mostly E (PC5 is A & EC5 is B) for the MH12 so I can't imagine things would be much different.The MH11 tread doesn't look direly closed so I hypothesise that the low AutoBild score is a compounding problem. Things might have changed with its successor but budget brands like this tend to compound for longevity.

I'm inclined to think that your best wet gripping tyres in anything but high speed streaming wet roads would be the Contis (of either sort); those conditions are "water channelling" ones but merely slick roads are much more compound dependent & even your older, shallower treaded Conti would, I surmise, fare better than the MH12s.

There's also the issue of handling balance, especially on lift-off in a corner. Tyre structures vary enormously in "tautness" as does tread stability. Mismatched sets can be mollified in their misbehaviour by playing with tyre pressures (more pressure in the sloppier, more comfort-orientated, tyre). I have no idea what the differences are twixt MH12 & PC5 or EC5 (or EC6) but I suggest that it might be worth some experimentation. Again, this is not a driving style remark but suggesting that, in an emergency manoevre, it's nice to have the tyres be part of the solution, not compounding the problem.

I don't know where you live but a deserted straight stretch of road is nice place to simulate an emergency stop in the wet & a deserted wet roundabout a nice place to investigate wet (or dry) handling balance & lift-off behaviour.

Hopefully nothing untoward will occur until you have chopped the MH12s out & can move to a full set of something better.

cheers! Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Marc has ditched these year old tyres, and had a decent rant about them!

as posted in his blog here
viewtopic.php?p=692585#p692585
IMG_3800.jpg
Regards Neil
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 27 Jul 2021, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Re-added original image so it can be zoomed
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I've re-attached the image Neil so people can click to zoom it - and I've just noticed that if you zoom the image, you can see that the crumbling rubber is also inside the outer grooves, so has to be bad rubber or a defect during the manufacturing by the looks of things.

And whilst I'm at it, I've just fired off a complaint to Bridgestone customer services. I may temporarily keep the tyres when they change them on Friday in case Bridgestone want them. If not, as I've already paid the environmental disposal cost for the tyres, I'll ask if I can take them back for them to dispose of pending the outcome from Bridgestone..
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc