Citroen C5 X7 2.2 HDI 2008 Tourer BHI Suspension Pump Major Leaking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

samclmnt
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive Estate

Citroen C5 X7 2.2 HDI 2008 Tourer BHI Suspension Pump Major Leaking

Post by samclmnt »

Good Afternoon All,

First time posting so would like to say thanks in advance!

I have a Citroen C5 X7 2.2 HDI Tourer 2008 on a 58 plate (UK) and the suspension pump is randomly leaking a severe amount of fluid from the top of the pump, between the the pump it self and the controls mounted on top. From researching online this seems to be where the control units actuates each of the solenoid/valves?

There doesn't seem to be any specific reason or correlation for it happening. It first happened when replacing the passenger front wheel and I changed the height setting during jacking. it leaked circa 2 litres at least! Probably not wise but cant see why this would cause a failure.

I've had a good search through this forum and the web but cant seem anything related to actual pump leaks in this location.

I am tempted to just swap the unit out as I cant find a reconditioning company for them but a little cautious of any other issues that could have caused the issue.

I presume the pressure relief valve re-circulates to the reservoir?

Suspension works fine, but I don't change it often in case it pisses out again!

Thanks!

Sam
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C5 X7 2.2 HDI 2008 Tourer BHI Suspension Pump Major Leaking

Post by GiveMeABreak »

First check that you have not overfilled it - read this warning first:

viewtopic.php?t=62058

If the system has been overfilled, then raising the car and lowering it uncontrolled can cause fluid under pressure from returning to the ground to flow back and either burst the tank or spurt out.

LDS fluid should always be checked with the suspension on the LOWEST setting and should only be between the 'A' and 'B' markings:
LDD MK III.PNG
You may find that the fluid has burst out the cap and trickled down onto the pump - in which case clear it up as soon as you can - as LDS fluid will get in through the pump seam and when that happens will mix with the carbon from the brushes and turn into a thick paste - with overheating and pump failure shortly after.

You can't just replace the BHI with any other from another car - they are specific to engine type and 4 or 6 cylinder vehicles as well as other factors. The ECU is on the top and this has to be the correct version to match your vehicle - if you do have a problem with the pump and need to change it.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
MGmike
My Cars: 59 C6 2.7 Red
56 C6 2.7 Blue
55 C5 II Blue
Plus many MG's from 58 to 97
Oh and a Jag XK8!

Post by MGmike »

Very unusual for them to leak between the pump body and the electronics but I guess not impossible if a gasket fails. I also don't think it's random but linked to the valve with a duff gasket being activated.

These are not cheap but an option to a second hand one
https://www.ebay.de/itm/193887172404?ha ... SwjXtfx20A

As Marc says, if you do go for a used one, you will need to swap the electronics over. That's not a big problem as it's only 4 screws.

I'd be interest in getting the faulty one for inspection if it's going in the bin?
samclmnt
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive Estate

Post by samclmnt »

Morning Gents,

Thanks for the replies.

So its definitely a no to the overfilling. Like I said the leak is coming from between the pump and the electronics.

I got the car for just shy of £2.5k so spending 500 euros plus import tax now that the UK is out of the EU is a bit a false economy, so will stick with a second hand unit.

Its my daily driver for commuting and house renovations so is deemed as disposable if it comes to it. Which would be a shame but it happens.

Does anyone know of a gasket rebuild kit? its working fine with no noises so would rather rebuild than completely write off.

But YES if I cant get it fixed you can have it MGmike for inspection although I may have a look myself first.

And yes I've read about keeping the electronics, like you said its only 4 bolts.

I know there has been plenty of threads on depressurising the system for pump removal, but is there a recommended one?

Cheers chaps
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

This might help you.
Last edited by myglaren on 15 Jul 2021, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Video link.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.