Oil Leak

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

colinsunderland
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008

Oil Leak

Post by colinsunderland »

Theres always wet oil in the places shown on the photo below, and has been since I got the car 3.5 years ago, but weirdly it doesn't lose any oil. Anyone any idea where it might be coming from please?

Thanks very much

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Oil Leak

Post by myglaren »

The injector wells on my C5 always had a bit of oil in, not spilled as I was very careful filling as I assumed initially that that was the cause.
It seemed to me that there might be a fine oil mist coming from the induction piping that like yours had jubilee clips on, which don't seem to form a good seal.
Never got round to doing any more that poking at it a bit.
It wasn't much, the car used no oil between changes. Cleaned it out before MOT day was the limit of my efforts to fix it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Make sure they are tightened to the correct torque - this is how the seals fail when oil leaks and gets under the seal, and then starts to lift them as it carbonises and allows more oil to get into the system. Wipe it away and see how quickly it returns. If it does, I would get the injector seals checked and then the injectors re-torqued.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

What year is the car? It looks like it's 1.6 but there's a difference between the earlier 16v and the later 8v engines. The 8v engines have injectors that go straight into the cylinder head and have no seals to leak oil. The 16v injectors go through the cam cover and it's these seals that can leak and can cause the terrible carbonised oil problem.

Our 8v 308 has an oil leak which I believe comes from the cam cover to cylinder head seal or possibly the cam oil seal. I'm waiting until it's time to change the timing belt as basically it's just unsightly rather than potentially engine destroying.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
colinsunderland
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008

Post by colinsunderland »

Thanks for the replies. It's the 1.6Hdi DV6C engine.
The mist from the induction piping could be correct.
I thought I had a leaking seal on an injector a couple of months back, but the garage rang me after half an hour and said he could still replace them if I wanted but there was no sign of any leak around any of them. They are rattly as anything though so going to (eventually) get them pulled, cleaned tested and new seals on, so that should tell if it was them. Plus the oil has been there since before I got the car and they weren't rattling then, so I would think it's unlikely.