Everything about Tyres

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Tyre Buying is Online the way to do it?

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 17:25 They are mostly imported from Germany where they have to change tyres after about five miles. Loads of wear left on them and well within the use by date.
I wonder how Brexit has affected that particular enterprise?
Hell Razor5543 wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 17:21 Yes indeed. I got four part worns for my C5 for £104 (£26 per tyre including balancing and disposal).
That's a proper bargain James :D That's down in Daffodil territory!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 17:28 I wonder how Brexit has affected that particular enterprise?
I wonder too - technically they are worthless in Germany.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

My tyre fitter is a fully trained Polish chap who came over here 17 years ago and started working at National Tyres. He hated their methods and moved to a local company after 18 months. 3 years later he left there and set up his own business which has developed very well since he started. He used to make monthly trips back to Poland in his LWB Transit to collect nearly new tyres to sell here. I have used them for 10+ years without a problem but I don't know how Brexit is affecting him. I will find out at some point!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 17:403 years later he left there and set up his own business which has developed very well since he started. He used to make monthly trips back to Poland in his LWB Transit to collect nearly new tyres to sell here. I have used them for 10+ years without a problem but I don't know how Brexit is affecting him. I will find out at some point!! :)

I love that :D True enterprise!

I hope it's not mucked him up too much because that's the kind of attitude I admire and fully embrace :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

CitroJim wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 17:43
mickthemaverick wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 17:403 years later he left there and set up his own business which has developed very well since he started. He used to make monthly trips back to Poland in his LWB Transit to collect nearly new tyres to sell here. I have used them for 10+ years without a problem but I don't know how Brexit is affecting him. I will find out at some point!! :)

I love that :D True enterprise!

I hope it's not mucked him up too much because that's the kind of attitude I admire and fully embrace :)
Me too which is why I patronise him unerringly since I first met him when he was working for the local firm. There is nothing he doesn't know about tyres and I always talk to him about any related issue. His name is Peter (Petar I think but who's looking?) and he runs A-Team Tyres in Hertford if you ever need assistance in this part of the world. :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Asda are doing cheap tyres down our way, one of their fitting stations is in Axminster which is our nearest town.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Everything about Tyres-TPMS

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

All new to me this TPMS palaver, but the tell-tale low pressure light came on telling me that the rear offside tyre had triggered the system. I suppose its function is simple....if your tyres are not at the correct specified pressure to within a tolerance, up pops the warning light and the little drawing telling you which is the offending tyre.

So to do it, each valve needs a sensor which needs to know which wheel it is on and it needs to be able to transmit temperature and pressure data via radio to a receiver inside the vehicle, and the follow on gubbins to interpret that and shove up the warnings to the driver.

Nothing catastrophic, no nail or gash in the tyre, but the tyre needs to be at 36 psi, and I realise now that my £5 foot pump with gauge from Argos is inadequate for the task. I will have to see whether the light resets itself after pumping the tyre up at one of those digital machines at a garage. If not there is a button in the car which after a few menu selections allows you to do a TPMS reset rather than having to unnecessarily get the Nissan dealer involved. The system doesn't activate until the car is travelling over 16mph so any reset requires driving the car over that speed to complete.

The official Nissan Tech Manual which Simon linked to on his blog, takes 51 pages to cover Wheels and Tyres on the Leaf https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... Ao-XyZWN4Y
temp2.png
When I got the car, the Nissan Garage fitted 2 new rear tyres, done about 14,000 miles since. With lots of cars having these Tyre Pressure Monitoring systems now I would hope the getting new tyres fitted isn't overcomplicated and subject to potential damage to the TPMS transmitters in the process. From reading the manual above, it would appear that registration of a TPMS transmitter to a wheel location, may be a bit of a Nissan tool thing, and not a button press function on the vehicle but I could be wrong.

Has me thinking should I just get new tyres when I need them, from the Nissan garage I bought the car from rather than just let my local indy take care of my tyre needs as usual. I'll go along and have a chat. TPMS is probably part and parcel of normal day-to-day tyre fitting now, although its new to me.

REgards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 05 Jul 2021, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Everything about Tyres

Post by myglaren »

I was in one of the larger tyre places - one of the few that could balance Citroen wheels.
A customer brought a Mondeo in and they sent him to the dealer as they were unable to deal with the pressure sensors.
From what they said it seemed that it was far too easy to damage them when replacing the tyre so they just didn't want the hassle.
4cvg
My Cars: 1958 Renault 4CV (modified)
1966 Renault R8 (modified)
1966 Matra Djet V

Post by 4cvg »

A few beginning thoughts on tyres:

1. General industry advice is that wet grip is substantially diminished at around 5 years of age & the risk of structural failure is overly high at around 10 years (notably, by belt separation). The manufacturing date is a 4 digit number on the (usually outside) sidewall (week/year so 0121 is the first week of 2021).

2. The EU wet grip code is a simple braking test & should not be considered a reliable guide to lateral wet grip.

3. In my opinion, the most important parameters of tyre performance are lateral & braking wet grip & second most important are response to steering input & emergency behaviour. Note that these criteria are hard to satisfy if one is prioritising longevity, fuel economy or comfort.

4. The best publically available guide to tyre performance is the set of magazine tyre tests & the best guide to these is at the UK site Tyre Reviews.
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/

cheers! Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Kwik-Fit have done this little animation. My leaf is nearly 6 years old now but how long do the batteries in the TPMS sensors last? No problems as yet but and I expect the batteries are the originals. Maybe a good bit of preventative maintenance to replace the batteries when the tyres are next changed (if indeed you can replace the batteries :) )

Informative if dull presentation from Kwik-fit

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

How much is a tyre pressure sensor (not that I need one at the moment.) :?: Depends on the model but as of right now a Schrader Tyre Pressure Sensor for the Leaf is £43 at ECP and £33 at CarParts4less. (same part).

Plenty of easily findable video's on youtube on replacing them DIY should you wish to find a novel use for a scissor jack in breaking the tyre bead. It would appear that they tend to be non battery replaceable, but of course the ingenious on you tube find a way without a great deal of difficulty, so the whole unit doesn't necessarily have to be thrown away when the battery eventually fails.

The TPMS New ID Numbers do need to be coded/cloned to the TPMS System with their locations on the car, which sort of negates the DIY effort, unless you have an appropriate diagnostic tool/scanner so to do.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Might I suggest you steer well clear of both of these suppliers. ECP (full name Euro Car Parts) has the deserved nickname of Euro Crap Parts, and CarParts4Less is their Internet brand.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 20:25 Might I suggest you steer well clear of both of these suppliers. ECP (full name Euro Car Parts) has the deserved nickname of Euro Crap Parts, and CarParts4Less is their Internet brand.
When I need to use them, I use them most of the time James :-D . The local factors unless you are in the trade cant get anywhere near on price although I have hit lucky on some components and use the local factors occasionally after they have given me a price on the phone. Had a few incorrect oil filters shipped but in general everything has been fine. Deliver free too which makes a big difference and less hassle collecting as both outlets are over 30 miles away.

Speaking as I find, they have been ok, apart from the odd wrong filter being sent.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Those systems you talked about above are referred to as Direct TPMS. These have a sensor and transmitter and an associated TPMS ECU on the car.

These are gradually being replaced with 'indirect' TPMS, so there are no sensors to worry about. Instead the more advanced ABS / ECU system uses the ABS wheel speed sensors by analysing any change in the diameter of the wheels or in the physical behaviour of the tyres.

There is no indication of which tyre is under inflated on this system.

A deflation detection is detected if the pressure is diminished by 20% relative to the pressures registered on initialisation.

So for example:
If the pressures in the vehicle’s front tyres are programmed at 2.4 bar, the tyre deflation alert will apply at around 1.9 bar.
If the pressures in the vehicle’s rear tyres are programmed at 2.2 bar, the tyre deflation alert will apply at around 1.8 bar.

This system, which is the one used on my vehicle can only detect either 'Tyre pressures "OK"' or 'Deflation detected'.

It uses the data once you have checked your tyre pressures and reset the system on the dash, then it's good to go again. Although it doesn't tell you which tyre is deflated, there is a lot less to go wrong:
  • No expensive sensors to buy, code or replace.
  • Eliminates the historical issues of galvanic corrosion
On the system I had on my C5 X7. I did have some issues where it took the dealer 4 attempts in one morning to get them all talking to the ECU - as each time I drove off the forecourt, a different one would come up with a warning!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Marc adds to the knowledge. :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey