Car News-Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Car News-Global and Domestic

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Dormouse wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 18:34 Lemmings, all of them! Knee jerk buying after being cooped up. These cars were there at a fraction of the current prices if you cared to go out and find your preferred model. Idiots! Bet the boots are full of bog rolls as well!
wealth.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 09:14 Is there anyone left still flogging the dead horse :?:

Audi says it will produce its last internal combustion engine by 2033, only launch new EVs by 2026

REgards Neil
Dead horse! Toyota have got it sussed. Why Choose? Self Charging Hybrids are the future. Even Eco Cars Jonathon Porterfield is convinced....

Well done Toyota, message getting through...received and misunderstood by the general public.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

One of those self-charging hybrids parked beside me this morning.

400 miles for fifty six quid? I get that and more in the Civic and think it is rubbish. All short trips though.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

That first video would have been ideal fodder for Peter Cook and Dudley Moore!
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

This appeared on the TV Screen during the footy last night.

NIssan's Qashqai whatever you think of it is a decent seller. NISSAN don't want to tinker about with it too much and maybe want to sell a few more before it goes the journey so out they come with this jazzed up rehash with a few buzz words and as far as BS goes its quality, but still a pale imitation of of the "self charging hybrid" powerhouse that is Toyota. "Mild Hybrid" is the same thing but far more wishy-washy phrase.

The script.
There's something electric in the air
The winds of change are blowing through
Its all about having the power the tech and style
To breeze through the beautiful song called life
All new Nissan Qashqai
Electrified with mild hybrid power

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Link to some good news from Nissan UK posted elsewhere by Steve

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 71#p690071

Wonder what those habitual whingers Stellantis are going to do now about Ellesmere Port and Luton :?:
No doubt claim an unfair playing field and take their ball home, but far better come up with some plans and commitment, make their case in a positive way, and get on with transforming and expanding their UK plants away from the dead-end path which they are currently on. If they don't good riddance, and they will leave a nice market share for others to grab.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Not car news.... van news !

Vauxhall set to announce Ellesmere Port electric van

"The owner of Vauxhall could announce as early as next week plans to build electric vans at its Ellesmere Port plant in Cheshire, the BBC understands.
The investment, said to be worth hundreds of millions of pounds, would safeguard about 1,000 factory jobs.
The future of the plant had been in doubt after Vauxhall's parent company, Stellantis, scrapped plans to build a new Astra model there."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57700749
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 20:58 Not car news.... van news !
More like it if it happens, sounds a bit unambitious at the moment but its a start.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 20:58 Not car news.... van news !

As hinted previously on the thread now officially from from La Bouche de la Cheval. Stellantis finally starting to go with the flow after much whingeing.
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Stellantis in the news. They have new electrification plans.....why?....because every automaker in the world is doing it, and the most significant bit...

A slogan fest for each of its many brands and yes the FCF has a thread for it...
Car Slogans/tag lines/marketing phrases
https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 57#p690957
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Domestic!

The dealer I got the Leaf from likes to send me the odd e-mail. Yes its coming up new reg time (Sept 1st) and they may well like to get a bit of footfall in the showrooms to do some shifting of stock in the run up. Buoyant used prices have appeared in the news, together with an apparent lack of stock. Quite happy with the current fleet for now and have no desire to move up into the new, or newer car bracket their offers are designed to to tempt.

temp2.png
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If this is true then one EU rule may well do away with a less than useful car parts supplier (and the CEO of said supplier is not happy about it!);

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/car ... d=msedgntp
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

As mentioned before I may be in a minority of one but E.C.P. and the aftermarket in general have served me well and 99% of the time cant be beaten on price. If you want to up the quality you can. The only manufacturer part I have bought over the last 40 years of motoring has been the odd bolt, and they are generally a ridiculous price, and hardly ever in stock. Wonder how Dealer service department's follow the official manufacturer procedures of always replacing such things, when they never have them in stock :?: :-D

The proposals I suspect are let's say "EU Vehicle Manufacturer lobby" friendly and overseas hostile, probably completely unworkable in terms of what definition and policing of use of "endorsed or sold" by the original manufacturer of the vehicle, and walks all over the right to repair.

Not unusual that rules are proposed which serve vested interests although some pontification about enforcing standards and safety motivation is often a useful smokescreen.

Long live the independents, the parts aftermarket which supports them, and the level of service the good ones provide.

No support at all for the proposal from this armchair in Northumberland.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 20:17
No support at all for the proposal from this armchair in Northumberland.

REgards Neil
Nor from this sofa in Hertfordshire! The whole concept of Bargain Basement Motoring will go out the window if this idea becomes reality. I have today posted about my MX3's return to its original alloys (viewtopic.php?p=692177#p692177) as it left the factory, or at least the dealer when new, at a total cost of £312 including new wheel nuts and two new tyres. Had I taken it to Mazda and asked them to do the job I dread to think what the final cost would have been. They quoted me £11.76 +VAT for one wheelnut!! So with the wheels at £379 each the final bill would have been close to £1800 plus their labour charge!! The mind boggles :( :cry: :? :wink: :shock: :-D :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 11:14
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 09:14 Is there anyone left still flogging the dead horse :?:

Audi says it will produce its last internal combustion engine by 2033, only launch new EVs by 2026

REgards Neil
Dead horse! Toyota have got it sussed. Why Choose? Self Charging Hybrids are the future. Even Eco Cars Jonathon Porterfield is convinced....

Well done Toyota, message getting through...received and misunderstood by the general public.

Regards Neil
Our Hybrid4 does 50 mpg on long trips - not too shabby in my opinion. Plus point is it does 50 mpg on mixed local runs too, the hybrid pay back if you like. Plus we get a half decent AWD when we need it (I have summer and winter tyres). I think self charging hybrids work well in the real world. No range anxiety, no fighting over hogged charging points. Exhaust emissions are reasonable overall given the style and scope of the driving we do. Would I buy one brand new? No. Would I buy a brand new Electric car? No. I am quite content with our second hand Hybrid4. Hopefully it will see out my driving days.