3008 Hybrid - Unable to go into Electric mode

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jabbat
My Cars: Peugeot Hybrid4 1.6 Petrol 2020 Model

3008 Hybrid - Unable to go into Electric mode

Post by jabbat »

Hi,

After weeks of being "unable to access mode due to ambient conditions" I am told that maybe one of the 12v batteries needed to be fully charged.

Can anyone tell me where the second battery is located? The one in the engine compartment is showing 12.67 volts without dropping.

Regards
Brian
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Re: 3008 Hybrid - Unable to go into Electric mode

Post by Dormouse »

Hi. There is no second 12v service battery. I assume by second battery you actually mean the traction battery. The charge level is shown in the dashboard.
civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

As the car is so new I would get in touch with the place you brought it from it is under warranty. If it is the traction battery as Dormouse comments on you don't want to mess with that, it will ruin your day somewhat
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
Had the jab a couple of days ago. Feb 21
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

As a prompt, have you changed the the recharge settings? The lighting bolt marked switch in the centre console. It can be off or one of 3 settings.
jabbat

Post by jabbat »

Hi
Thanks for reply - the E-save feature is set to fully charge. At the moment the car is back with the dealer (2 weeks now) and no good news so far except that they admitted that there "must be a problem". I'm driving the salesman's demo car (facelift 3008 Hybrid4) on loan - no problems whatsoever doing the same journeys and using the same overnight charging procedures.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Cheers. Sorry to hear it is being a bit of a mare. Once you get any info could you put it up here for others to see. Thanks in advance.
jabbat

Post by jabbat »

Hi All Interested Parties

Got the car back today - so far so good. I have to thank the dedication and interest of the head of sales at our local agent who drove our car for almost a month in an effort to root out the problem. Had it been left to the service department we would have just been fobbed off with more ridiculous stories combined with utter contempt. The fact that we asked for our money and our old car back may have helped but credit still due to the salesman. To cut a long story short there are two 12 volt batteries in the system both of which need to be maintained at a high level of charge. Long runs apparently may not be enough to keep the 12 volt system up to scratch if there is any deficiency in the master battery under the bonnet. One way around the problem is to use a trickle charger to maintain the charge level if the car is not in constant use. Luckily our car is under warranty and the battery will be replaced as soon as they can get one (hen's teeth apparently). In the meantime I'll be investing in a trickle charger. Been driving a brand new Hybrid4 purposely keeping it in Electric mode for the last three weeks - engine only started once to clean the Particulate Filter then switched back to Electric - I suspect Peugeot may have quietly solved the Ambient problem on their latest products.
Any recommendations for a good trickle charger with auto cut-off and power display?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Thanks for the update and good luck with it when you finally get it back.

I think for a lot of us, this just adds to the utter dread of being forced into full electric in the near future and just how vulnerable we will be to this and other sorts of issues, with the thought of being stranded in the middle of nowhere when anything goes wrong. My Stop Start system doesn't work and has been back to the dealers for battery testing. it takes 24 hours each time to test and recharge the battery - to get it working for maybe 2 times then it packs in again. The demands from the electrical systems are just too high and main car battery technology is jut not up to the job, I can see this getting worse.

As one used car dealer said recently on a news programme, full electric is totally ridiculous at this stage and that these politicians need to get out of their North London bubbles and come and live in the real world - stating how the heck are people living in terraced streets or blocks of flats ever going to own a vehicle they will never be able to charge? He predicts the price of second hand petrol and diesel cars will rocket towards the end of this decade for this very reason as people snap them up near the ban on new sales of ICE approaches.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

On our troubled but now sorted 3008 Hybrid4 I used and still keep as back up an intelligent automatic battery charger which includes the option to pulse charge old batteries. Our Hybrid4 does not fully recharge our 12v service battery when we do short town only journeys so we now deliberately do long trips out once a month or will use the intelligent charger to boost the battery in the winter. Not a clever thing since so much relies on the 12v service battery and the traction battery does not add charge unless the car is running. The auto charger has a battery capacity section to show the state of charge when you just connect the leads but don't switch on the charger.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

This is the type I bought and have used it as a test guage on our 3008 as well as a trickle charger until we cured the fault. I have also used it on our camper and caravan batteries to apparently good effect. The old battery that was changed out of our 3008 was pulse charge repaired and used to good effect in our caravan when we used it recently and our camper batteries are all being maintained too
1625302220363.jpg
Nickcc102
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Peugeot 2008 1.2 allure automatic 2017.

Post by Nickcc102 »

Dormouse wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 09:56 This is the type I bought and have used it as a test guage on our 3008 as well as a trickle charger until we cured the fault. I have also used it on our camper and caravan batteries to apparently good effect. The old battery that was changed out of our 3008 was pulse charge repaired and used to good effect in our caravan when we used it recently and our camper batteries are all being maintained too
I bought similar model charger but in red, looks like same manufacturer just different name and colour. Used on my 2008 auto which wouldn’t stop start when I bought it second hand a few weeks ago, pulse charged battery for 24 hours and stop start still working.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Yes. I hummed and ha 'ed before I bought this cheap charger but I find it works very well.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Lidl and Aldi sometimes have fairly decent but smallish intelligent chargers for sale. Sub £25 IIRC.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 08:19 ..utter dread...
Decent room 101 personal entry for you then Marc :-D

(hasn't been too bad so far for me, and that's from a out in the sticks dweller with a low range BEV :-D, but it is useful to have my own personal detached hybrid the BB Micra as back up! )

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It seems that car manufacturers are neglecting the 12V system on their Hybrid/Fully electric cars. I recently posted up a link to a problem that James May had with his Tesla. He had not used it for a while, but it had been connected to a charger during that time. However, when he did come to use it he could not get in. It turns out that, when the car was connected to a charger, both the motive battery and the ancillary battery were given a full charge, then the motive battery was put onto a trickle charge, but the ancillary battery was not (and its' charge level was not monitored), and so was slowly discharged as its 'dependant systems' pulled power. One of these systems was the access system for the 12V battery. Once that stopped working it was not a simple task to access that battery to charge it (and there also was not the facility to connect a charger directly to the battery while in its cavity).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!