The Hydrogen Thread

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: The Hydrogen Thread

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Whats in a Name? Well that sticker in the window of old Xantias, that was then and this is now

TOTAL IS TRANSFORMING AND BECOMING TOTALENERGIES

Most of the well known Oil and Gas Companies, are transforming into energy companies some faster than others, and there are shareholder revolts at oil and gas Companies who are resisting (Exxon/Chevron for exampleExxonMobil, Chevron suffer stunning shareholder backlash ) No one, especially your institutional investors, wants to be seen investing in Oil and Gas.

TOTAL have been active, as you might expect in the Hydrogen field, both green and blue, and in projects for a hydrogen infrastructure. Undoubtedly Hydrogen is the best bet our former oil and gas companies have.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Hydrogen Mobility: Total Supports the Development of the First Hydrogen Taxi Operator in Paris
Paris, May 26, 2021 – Total announces the acquisition of a stake in Hysetco, a French company dedicated to the development of hydrogen mobility in cities. Hysetco owns the largest fleet of hydrogen taxis in the world, launched in 2015 and operated in the Île-de-France region under the Hype brand, as well as hydrogen stations.

The Hype project aims to demonstrate for the first time on a large scale the viability of zero-emission hydrogen vehicles for urban mobility.

With the acquisition of a 20% stake, Total joins Hysetco’s historical shareholders: STEP (Société du Taxi Electrique Parisien), Air Liquide, Toyota and Kouros.

Hysetco currently owns around 700 taxis in Paris, with still a majority of diesel vehicles that will transition gradually to become exclusively comprised of hydrogen vehicles by 2024. The hydrogen taxis are fueled by a dedicated network of hydrogen stations operated by Hysetco. This network is expected to expand in the coming years to support the growth of hydrogen vehicle fleet. Total will make its network of service-stations available to Hysetco to contribute to the growth of this network of hydrogen stations.
I can see Air-Liquide, Toyota and Total Energies having a large vested interest in promoting Hydrogen Taxi's.
An alternative exists, but without providing revenues to those players....order a fleet of BEV's., dump the diesels petrol taxi's quicker.

Whether its a good thing or not to use hydrogen for taxis or indeed cars in general, will be determined by pure economics. If the BEV is a better mousetrap for urban taxis, or cars in general, it will dominate. Let the fair fight begin, but BEV beware, Hydrogen however inefficient has some heavyweight supporters :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Got my Riversimple Newsletter today, they have been going some time now, but at least have a couple of Cars out on Beta Test in and around Abergavenny and its hydrogen "pump".

Odd looking little vehicle

https://riversimple.com/

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

On BBC South they have just spoken about a company called Ricardo who are looking to manufacture fuel cells powerful enough to be used in lorries and buses. They will be producing hydrogen in Shoreham, and getting their power from the Rampion Wind Farm.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Early 2021, very soon, imminently, or some other unspecified date the UK Government will produce its first "Hydrogen Strategy" after careful consideration of the lobbyists who have made the most convincing case. It may be that the fossil fuel lobbyists will hold sway, and seemingly bonkers ideas like hydrogen through the gas grid may still end up in the plans. FF lobbyists know that not enough pipedream green hydrogen will be produced, but yes they can do a bit of blue and expand that over time. Meanwhile until that gets up and running and wool can be pulled over eyes on the Carbon Capture and Storage bit, they can produce as much grey as you want.

Pursuit of hydrogen risks keeping UK hooked on fossil fuel

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 08:36 On BBC South they have just spoken about a company called Ricardo who are looking to manufacture fuel cells powerful enough to be used in lorries and buses. They will be producing hydrogen in Shoreham, and getting their power from the Rampion Wind Farm.
Ricardo have a long and interesting history to do with engine design and refinement. It'll be very much in their interests to develop 'clean' fuel cells as their main site is slap bang on the banks of the River Adur - rising sea levels will be very apparent to them :lol: Not sure how they are going to extract energy from Rampion, though the main supply from Rampion passes about a mile to the north of their site whilst on its way to Bolney. Perhaps they'll sneak a couple of jump leads onto the cable whilst no one is looking and run the hydrogen plant on that :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

What vested interest do this little lot have in common?
What vested interest do this little lot have in common?
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Something to do with green hydrogen production at a guess? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 12:52 Something to do with green hydrogen production at a guess? :-D
I don't think they care too much what colour it is Mick its their best bet to keep in business :-D

Came across them here. nice colourful collection of Logo's.
https://hydrogenstrategynow.co.uk/

We drove past the signpost to Spadeadam on the way home from the lakes. Well in land that time forgot territory. 40 or 50 trial hydrogen Boilers could explode and you wouldn't hear a thing, and the mess could be easily tidied up long before news reporters got anywhere near :-D
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles still alive?

Who's at the helm of Stellantis. :?: Whats the most efficient way of managing their disparate brands, and creating efficiencies> I wouldn't have thought badge engineering of exactly the same van would be a good idea. So now Stellantis have 3 versions of the basically the same van. The Peugeot e-Expert Hydrogen, the Opel/Vauxhall Vivaro e-hydrogen and now the Citroen Jumpy e-hydrogen.

Revolutionary thinking :?: or they aren't really serious about it, aren't planning to sell many, no plans to roll out an infrastructure in partnership with customers, and a misconception that smallish vans are a product for doing regular long motorway trips rather than within localised areas, backbone of Britain type support for tradesmen and local deliveries and businesses.

We've covered the E-vivaro hydrogen here
and the e-expert hydrogen here

So here's the new one announced the Citroen Version
...and now the third entry for Stellantis the Citroën Introduces ë-Jumpy Hydrogen Van
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 31 May 2021, 11:44 Got my Riversimple Newsletter today, they have been going some time now, but at least have a couple of Cars out on Beta Test in and around Abergavenny and its hydrogen "pump".

Odd looking little vehicle

https://riversimple.com/

REgards Neil
These cars look like they have borrowed the aerodynamic shaping from some of the pure ultra mileage vehicles in the likes of the Shell Marathon and Trans Australia Electric Challenges. Very low and light with skinny low rolling resistances tyres. Quadricycles by another name to me and probably wouldn't fare well in an NCAP type collision with a Tesla X never mind a timber lorry. Interesting though.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

What do you think of this? One person complained. :o

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/mis ... =msedgdhp
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 09:35 What do you think of this? One person complained. :o

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/mis ... =msedgdhp
On a technicality, my C5 purifies the air as it goes...... if I have the aircon on and air is drawn in through the cabin filter :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 09:35 What do you think of this? One person complained. :o
The complainant did very well to actually see an advert for the Hyundai Nexo in the UK ( I presume it must be the UK seeing as it refers to the Advertising Standards Agency. I take an interest in these things and have never seen one :-D

Bit of a pointless advertising spend for Hyundai at this stage, Cant imagine with the H2 infrastructure in the UK being so embrionic that an advertising campaign right now for possibly selling a couple of dozen vehicles at most was very productive.

So catch it while you can, here's the claim which is to be banned....ah...but maybe the complainant was a Hyundai stooge to get the story on MSN.....

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Reverse psychology market stimulation! Now, only a hardened Advertising Manager would think that one up.