The Hydrogen Thread

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles still alive?

Post by Paul-R »

bobins wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 10:18 That'll be one of them Light Cycles from Tron :lol:
My first thought as well!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
NewcastleFalcon

Re: The Hydrogen Thread

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

white exec wrote: 08 May 2021, 17:38 Hydrogen?
" Members of the global Hydrogen Council include Saudi Aramco, BP and Total, and some critics say hydrogen provides a “cover story for fossil fuels”. "
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ssil-fuels
The conclusion of the research study
The research, published in the journal Nature Climate Change, calculated that producing and burning hydrogen-based fuels in home gas boilers required six to 14 times more electricity than heat pumps providing the same warmth. This is because energy is wasted in creating the hydrogen, then the e-fuel, then in burning it. For cars, using e-fuels requires five times more electricity than is needed than for battery-powered cars.
Siemens in their Hydrogen Solutions Strategy take a different view, although the energy inefficiency of using electricity generated to produce e-H2, and compounding that with the further synthesis of to liquid fuels is a matter of physics and chemistry.
The picture

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Last edited by myglaren on 08 May 2021, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Video link
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

The follow on video which autoplayed on features a short talk through with the actual car.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

There is no doubt in my mind that, taken as a single entity, the Hydrogen Fuel Cell EV is a far better proposition than the BEV. In terms of gross vehicle weight and range per kg of fuel mass, it wins hands down. The fact that you can refill in 5 minutes is also a major advantage over batteries. it is more efficient at transporting humans as it has less fuel load mass to move as well. Obviously the downsides are in the hydrogen production and transport costs in terms of energy required so it may not be the best overall solution for carbon reduction but it certainly offers me as a motorist a much more acceptable vehicle to use than a BEV.

It also has the advantage of being able to use the existing filling station network with the appropriate alterations to tanks and pumps. I hope somebody comes up with a far more efficient process for extracting the hydrogen needed and then, from a users viewpoint, there will be very little change in our current driving methodology. :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

I do suspect that some sort of H2 network will develop, and that oil companies will make Blue Hydrogen (with carbon capture and storage) and they will synthesize e-fuels. I also think that liquid fuel blends will be marketed by the petrol/gasoline companies, and installed on forecourts with more "bio content".

I do think BEV's will dominate, over fuel cell, as the numbers of new BEV's, and investments currently testify. There are enough H2 projects, but few production vehicles, and unlike the TESLA solution of putting chargers all across America and elsewhere, no-one from the H2 Fuel cell world has done similar, and established a network of refill stations to effectively sell their fuel cell vehicles.

Personally I am not bothered about charging times, and not that bothered about range for our own EV. When I read of the desire for more rapid recharging times, that involves higher power chargers, I do think naively, that seems a decent recipe for burning out a rechargeable battery, I'd rather stick to less power/slower to make the battery last longer :-D

I watched another follow on video which referenced the first fuel cell vehicle. Those pioneers General Motors on the back of NASA developments. Needed a canny chunk of platinum for the fuel cell as a catalyst and to today they still do :-D
Bit American, bit wordy, probably annoying presenter, annoying in video adverts etc but I managed to get through it :!: :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I vividly remember discussing the fuel cell with my mate (the one with the heat pump) when we were about 13/14. No great progress since then.
And of course the Zeta project that seemed only a couple of years away.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

myglaren wrote: 08 May 2021, 21:30 I vividly remember discussing the fuel cell with my mate (the one with the heat pump) when we were about 13/14. No great progress since then.
I think your memory is awry on that, Steve. Successful and profitable energy from fusion has permanently been at least 25 years away, and will continue to do so :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I managed to get through that video despite the ads etc and found it quite watchable. However it wasn't particularly accurate in my opinion. When he looked at the energy efficiency comparison he started with 100 watts of energy and then went through the losses in producing Hydrogen, freezing it, transporting it and finally using it in the car giving an overall efficiency of 38%. When he looked at the electric car he simply said it was 80%+ efficient given that you just feed the electricity straight into it. I take it then that the mining/oil extraction/hydroelectric/nuclear costs are completely ignored in his world and you just have a handful of free electricity to put straight in the car. I have no idea what the true comparison would be but I am certain he does not make a like for like comparison. If you add the electricty generation energy losses to the equation I am certain there would be a significantly smaller difference in overall efficiency!! Just saying!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 08 May 2021, 21:39 Fair comparisons
I have come across a fair few charts and discussions mapping out the differences in efficiency. They all come up with the same sort of result give or take, and its only to be expected.

The start point is the generation of electricity and BEV/Hydrogen Fuel Cells/E-fuels all start at this point in the analysis. In that vid they all kick off with 100W of the stuff! (regardless of how it was generated).

For Battery Electric the chain is
Generate electricity-transmit through grid-use to charge battery-power an electric motor
The making of hydrogen as an intermediary is always going to be less efficient, and the synthesis of e-fuels even worse.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 08 May 2021, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

:bomb:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

bobins wrote: 08 May 2021, 21:35
myglaren wrote: 08 May 2021, 21:30 I vividly remember discussing the fuel cell with my mate (the one with the heat pump) when we were about 13/14. No great progress since then.
I think your memory is awry on that, Steve. Successful and profitable energy from fusion has permanently been at least 25 years away, and will continue to do so :-D
Always promised for a couple of years, like flying cars.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I remember the headlines in the Daily Mirror in the '50s, something along the lines of "Almost free electricity with nuclear fusion". We are still waiting.

Peter
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

The only fusion I remember seeing in my schooldays was Reddifusion, who relayed tv signals around a cable network and then rented out tv's for customers to watch them on!!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I remember them too mick, different firm. :wink:

Peter