Suspension noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jonathancilia
My Cars: Citroen saxo 1.5D
Lada samara 1.3

Re: Suspension noise

Post by Jonathancilia »

Yeah even here, they have a machine at the testing centre to test the suspension rebound, and behaviour.
Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

What brand are the genuine shocks on the saxo? Maybe i will get better ones this time
Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

I am thinking maybe the bilsteins B4 for shock brand, i heard good things about them
Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

This is the bad strut side top mount, it squeaks alot and the top mount seems collapsed as it is higher than the other one
This is the bad strut side top mount, it squeaks alot and the top mount seems collapsed as it is higher than the other one
This is the bad strut side top mount
This is the bad strut side top mount
Moog
Donor 2023
My Cars: Own a Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 8v 2001

Post by Moog »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 17:40 I wonder if the drop links could be the problem?
I had a clonk on my 2001 Xsara Picasso and it was drop-links. Had them replaced two years ago and they're clonking again. This time I've bought Febi hoping they'll last a bit longer. (I had new track rods too).

I had new front shocks and top mounts and it started clonking again when exiting a speed bump.

A friendly MOT man took a look in his lunchhour and levered everything to check for play. Turns out the new gas shocks are stronger than the elderly coil springs so on 'lift off' the spring is extending and hitting the bump stops. New coil springs would sort it.....
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Jonathancilia wrote: 02 May 2021, 08:34 ImageImage
That suggests the strut top bearings may be worn, as I advised earlier...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

Update: i replaced rhe brake shims with brand new ones, clunking is not bad now definitely less. But there is still a bit of knocking over bumps, i have ordered a set of bilstein B4 shocks and a set of brand new top mounts and bearing so i replace the whole lot.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Jonathancilia wrote: 04 May 2021, 06:39 Update: i replaced rhe brake shims with brand new ones, clunking is not bad now definitely less. But there is still a bit of knocking over bumps, i have ordered a set of bilstein B4 shocks and a set of brand new top mounts and bearing so i replace the whole lot.
Excellent! Good plan :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

Got them at a bargain actually, the whole lot for 110 euros only
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Jonathancilia wrote: 04 May 2021, 17:44 Got them at a bargain actually, the whole lot for 110 euros only
Even better!!!
Jim

Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

Got an intermittent problem with the instrument cluster aswell, sometimes speedo and odometer dont work or read incorrectly, do the speed sensors go on these cars or this is a bad cluster maybe?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Jonathancilia wrote: 04 May 2021, 17:45 Got an intermittent problem with the instrument cluster aswell, sometimes speedo and odometer dont work or read incorrectly, do the speed sensors go on these cars or this is a bad cluster maybe?
Yes! I have a similar problem on my Saxo... When I first got her the speedo did not work due to a faulty speed sensor on the gearbox... I replaced it and it works fine except on cold, frosty mornings when it stops working for a while after about 10 minutes and then starts working again!

It always does it and has been doing so for four years now! Like clockwork...

The gearbox speed sensors are common across nearly all PSA vehicles of the period...

The can be easily replaced but you need to drop the gearbox oil level very slightly to avoid a spill as you lift out the sensor...
Jim

Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

Yes ecactly the same like mine does lol, only on mornings then out of the blue starts working again, its been doing it 4 years aswell since i bought the car, intermittently it stops
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Jonathancilia wrote: 05 May 2021, 06:52 Yes ecactly the same like mine does lol, only on mornings then out of the blue starts working again, its been doing it 4 years aswell since i bought the car, intermittently it stops
It's clearly a Saxo quirk :lol:
Jim

Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

Lol, tbh my saxo has been very reliable, had a few issues with suspension, but i cannot fault the car, our roads are pure s**t here, everywhere potholes, im amazed the car can take it and doesnt fall apart really