Variable resistance turbocharger

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lynnzer

Variable resistance turbocharger

Post by Lynnzer »

I've been aware of what I thought was a case of excessive turbo lag for a couple of months and yesterday I had an opportunity for my nephew to give the system a once-over to check for error codes.
I got a P2566 code with the message being Variable resistance turbocharger. My contact at the dealer who sold me the car says it should be included in the warranty and advised me to contact the nearest Citroen dealer to arrange repair. The dealer who sold me the car is at the other end of the country so I must do it locally.

I called the nearest at Sunderland and they told me that they would have to run a test (ie, duplicate the testing already done but at a cost of God knows how much - but probably £100 or near).
That would be necessary as they say they will run extra tests. I don't see what "extra tests" they can run.

The cost of that would be covered by an agreed warranty issue but if it's an electrical problem that won't be covered.

I hate the prevarication of dealers in such situations, however is it likely that the error code and message is the result of an electrical problem?
If it is, then it would probably be better if I let my nephew do the repair at his own garage instead.
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Variable resistance turbocharger

Post by wheeler »

It’s fairly standard for a dealer to say this to you, as they need to make you aware that someone needs to cover the investigation costs if it turns out to be an issue thats not covered by warranty.
Of course they need to do there own investigation, theres no way i would take someone else’s word for it & i cant imagine any dealer in their right mind would either.
As for extra testing, for warranty on certain components they need to follow a guided diagnosis tree to have proof for warranty, Citroen can log in & see if this had been done or not & if it was done correctly.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Also, bear in mind that if you have any work done elsewhere by a non-authorised repairer / DIY, they could decline any warranty work if they think there are grounds / issues that a fault could of been caused or made worse by a third party - so think about it if you are considering undertaking your own actions where you have a dealer warranty.

Is this for your DS5 or another car? If you pop the VIN up I may be able to check the fault code as it relates to your vehicle.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

It's the replacement C5 Tourer.
VIN VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Fault Code:P2566
Description of Fault: Variable geometry turbocharger: Excessive drift on the last initialisations of the upper stop:
The fault is activated just after the initialisation of the upper stop.

Possibility 1
Drift less than -0,5 V or greater than 0,5 V in the initialisation of the variable geometry turbocharger upper limit relative to the first initialisation

Possibility 2
Drift less than -0,3 V or greater than 0,3 V in the initialisation of the variable geometry turbocharger upper limit, relative to the last initialisation the previous time the network (powerlatch) went to sleep

The fault immediately appears
Conditions for Fault to clear: 3 successive starts, allowing time for the network to go to sleep
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:None
Symptoms:
  • Lack of power
  • No effects immediately perceptible to the customer
Suspect Areas:
  • Turbocharger (The variable geometry of the turbocharger is locked)
  • Turbocharger electrovalve
  • Position indicator of the turbocharger
  • Vacuum circuit
  • Electrical harness
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

Well I just got back from the main dealer in Sunderland. It has checked out as a faulty turbo solenoid and a warranty repair. A new one is on order and will be fitted next week more than likely. There's also a gearbox software update to do that will be done at the same time.

NOW........
If you remember my topic on my search for a C5 Tourer X7, I found the one way down south, a 2014 model with only 23K on the clock at £11,000, then the only other one was at the Sunderland dealers. In fact it was the owners car and one of the last 6 ever produced.
I saw it today. ABSOLUTELY GOBSMACKINGLY GORGEOUS.. It has everything possible in extras. It has lovely watch-strap cream seats, cream leather interior and it looked like better wheels and tyre combinations. With only 31k on the clock it was 8k above mine but honestly if I'd actually seen this car first I would have looked no farther. There isn't a picture of it on their website just yet but keep looking. https://www.towncentreautomobiles.com/u ... techno-pk/
If you are a serious potential customer for this I'd highly recommend a look. And no, I'm not on commission.
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

Have taken the car in for the repair today and I thought I'd take a couple of pictures of their own C5 Tourer.
It's amazing and has every possible extra. It also has a digital satnav/radio unlike mine with the old MWay.
There's a good deal of interest so I think it's a matter of first to see it will buy.
As I said, this isn't any promotion on behalf of them but just something the forum members may well want to take up The company again is Town Centre Citroen in Sunderland
IMG_20210527_091247.jpg
IMG_20210527_090925.jpg
IMG_20210527_090846.jpg
IMG_20210527_085435.jpg
IMG_20210527_085949.jpg
IMG_20210527_085956.jpg
IMG_20210527_090001.jpg
IMG_20210527_090017.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20210527_090925.jpg
IMG_20210527_090846.jpg
IMG_20210527_090025.jpg