Who is 'checking out' YOUR stuff?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Who is 'checking out' YOUR stuff?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I am creating this post to warn people to watch out for their stuff. This weekend my neighbour was working on his bicycles, in his back garden (which is not visible from the main road). However, the back garden is overlooked by several houses (my bedroom, for example, has a clear view). This morning I noticed that his garden shed door was hanging off the hinges. I have spoken to him, and nothing was taken (yet), but the screws were taken from the hinges. It looks like something may have disturbed the 'thieves', but I have offered to help move his stuff from the shed to the house, as well as offering to lend him my dash cam (while I am on my weekend) to watch the shed. My neighbour is going to get some plates to protect the hinges, as well as something to protect the lock.

My neighbour also had heard some noises from the FRONT of the house around midnight, when he looked out there were two people in the driveway next door (they were not visible from the road), and when they saw my neighbour they left the driveway, one going one way, the other going the the way. My neighbour has contacted the Police (about everything), but they have said there isn't anything they can do.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Who is 'checking out' YOUR stuff?

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I think the cops will be doing something if only watching you area more carefully over the next few weeks.

It must be very difficult to police all the closely built urban localities, you would need a copper or two on every street.

There are thieving toe rags everywhere, my neighbour had his wheelbarrow taken from the garden, just when he needed it most. :(

Sheds are favourite targets, tools and bikes are easy to sell on via the Google and Ebay type sites. or in the pub.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Who is 'checking out' YOUR stuff?

Post by mickthemaverick »

I don't know how your neighbour contacted the police James but if it was by telephone advise him to send them an email of the report. That way, should the worst happen, he will be able to prove to his insurance company that he had done more than might be expected to protect his property and thus avoid them refusing to payout on the grounds of negligence by the policyholder! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!