N/S/R caliper dragging

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Estate87
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Current - '09 Citroen C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi

Previous-
'97 Volvo V90
'05 Merc C320 CDI estate
'08 Volvo V50 T5 R-Design
'10 VW Golf 1.6 TDI estate

N/S/R caliper dragging

Post by Estate87 »

Afternoon all

I recently changed the rear pads and discs on my X7 C5 Exclusive Tourer due to the fact that they showed signs of dragging whilst the car was with the previous owner, i.e the pads were a lot more worn than the drivers side and the disc had signs of heat transfer.

Everything went ok, nothing seized and the pistons wound back fine, I checked their operation once it was all back together. I used Brembo for pads/discs. Now it seems as though it's still dragging, I did a 2 mile journey earlier and once I'd stopped I could see/very slightly smell the signs of hot brakes. 🤬

What could be the problem? I suspect it's down to the piston not returning enough once the brake has been applied, the car has done very little mileage whilst being with the previous owner so I suspect the piston is lazy? Is this a common issue? Or should I have used a different brand of brakes?

Any info will be greatly appreciated

Cheers
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Re: N/S/R caliper dragging

Post by KennyW »

Worth checking your caliper sliding pins, associated rubber dust covers and piston all cause this type of problem.
Repair kits are available
Once the caliper starts sticking or piston starts sticking will only get worse until a total seizure occurs

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.