A bit of a puzzle

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Lynnzer

A bit of a puzzle

Post by Lynnzer »

My newly acquired C5 X7 has presented me with a bit of a puzzle. As per Citroen's usual satnav non conformity to postcode input, I have a Garmin Nuvi 2569 that I used on a previous motor that I tried to work from this week. The only USB port that I can find in the car is in the centre console which I had a usb stick plugged into with my music library.
When I plug the Garmin into that port nowt much happens. The dashboard screen shows as the device isn't recognised. I wasn't expecting it to be anyway as the satnav would display its own maps.
The Garmin just goes to the welcome screen and no further despite giving it loads of time to work.

I know the Garmin is working, but how in hell do I get it to work in this French automobile? Maybe it's revolting against me because I voted for Brexit......
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: A bit of a puzzle

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

How much power (amps) does the Garmin require? Sat Navs normally need 1 amp or more, but USB 1 - 2 ports only are required to supply 0.5 amp per port (although USB 3 can supply 2.1 amps).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A bodge but maybe a USB adaptor plugged in to the fag lighter - or similar socket - would work.
My Garmin does just that. I do have a USB outlet but that connects my dongle to the radio.

Like this:
71JMFVmCZiL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

myglaren wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 19:33 A bodge but maybe a USB adaptor plugged in to the fag lighter - or similar socket - would work.
My Garmin does just that. I do have a USB outlet but that connects my dongle to the radio.

Like this:

Ah, that's what the thing is for. I have one somewhere in my garage and I do remember that it was used for exactly that.
Thanks for refreshing my memory
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The USB in the C5 X7 is mainly for updating the Telematics system / playback of MP3 files. It's not designed to power an independent Sat Nav that will require a 12V feed.

Post codes can be entered on the factory fitted system anyway - it depends on the system you have, as to whether you enter them using the post code directly, or enter the post code on the 'City' field.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The industry standard for USB devices is that it has a 5 volt feed. USB1 had guidelines (which did cause issues as companies had their own interpretations of these guidelines), USB2 (and subsequent versions) has standards, and USB1 and USB2 provide 0.5A to power any devices connect to them. USB3 can have a lot more amperage available (up to 5A). MOST devices that are designed to be powered from a USB system will take 5 volts (if they need more than 0.5A they either use an external PSU or (if the device only needs up to 1A) a cable with THREE connectors (one for the device, and two for the USB system, allowing 2 X 0.5A (so 1A) feeds)). Some devices may need 20V, and there is provision for this requirement.

There is (specifically for Power Delivery type USB ports) the ability for 20V to be provided, with up to 5A available. There are also POWERED USB ports, most widely used for PoS equipment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Elect ... cification
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 21:29 Post codes can be entered on the factory fitted system anyway - it depends on the system you have, as to whether you enter them using the post code directly, or enter the post code on the 'City' field.
You've mentioned this before Mark but there's no way to do it.
The satnav starts up England selected then when I input postcodes into town it only allows partial codes, ie sr78ab only gets as far as sr78.
It's bloody pathetic that a leading motor manufacturer doesn't support full post code input.

Anyway, I forgot all about the cigarette lighter option and I know I have one somewhere in the house. I'll get another if not.
Thanks for the help.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No worries - it's not perfect, I agree, but that's because most countries don't have a 7 alpha / Num code like we do in the UK. Most European countries and others us up to 4 or 5 - which is what the post code input accepts on the Sat Nav. From there it should narrow it down enough to be able to select an address. My NG4 Navidrive accepted full UK postcodes, as does my current Connected Nav system, but it does get caught out with a few missing that I know exist but it doesn't have in its database. But I can use a combo of postcode and address if needed - I just make sure I do a bit of forward planning if going anywhere new and make sure it's programmed in and saved ages before I set off.

I cant remember what system you have now, but it should take the 'Outward part of the code (up to the first 4).

Interestingly, a UK Postcode can cover up to 100 properties - and can get you to about 10 Metres or so within a town, but up to half a mile away in rural areas. So not perfect even if it could take the full UK postcode. :-D

If all else fails, just input the GPS coordinates directly for a pinpoint location.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I am also unsure what system we're talking about here but on the two systems in our household cars (eMyWay/RT6 and SMEG+) I seem to recall that (at least ) one of the systems needed a firmware update in order to accept full postcodes.

Not that I've used either of the satnavs as anything more than a glorified atlas!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​