Citroën C2 1.4VTR 2005 Mk1 Cooling fan issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TomMar
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: Citroën C2 1.4 VTR 2005 Mk1

Citroën C2 1.4VTR 2005 Mk1 Cooling fan issue

Post by TomMar »

Hi!
I'm currently having a problem with my Citroën C2 1.4 VTR 2005 Mk1.
The problem that I'm facing is that the cooling fan is always on. As soon as I turn the ignition on the cooling fan starts blowing at max speed. Lexia shows me a P0485 cooling fan power/ground circuit malfunction code.
I also checked from Lexia that the cars computer is requesting 0% speed from the fan, but it is still blowing at max speed.
Could anyone possibly know what is causing this?

Thanks in advance
ozvtr
My Cars: Citroen C2 VTR
Citroen C3 SX
Citroen C3 in bits

Re: Citroën C2 1.4VTR 2005 Mk1 Cooling fan issue

Post by ozvtr »

I assume you have air conditioning? There are a number different types of engine cooling fan assemblies but only one type "reports back" to the the engine ECU.

This type has an integral speed controller in the fan motor. It is fairly common for them to fail. There is a Russian mob who have a repair kit but that's nearly as expensive as replacing the whole fan assembly. There are after market fan assemblies available from auto stores.

You could check the mauve (light purple) wire in the grey three pin connector on the fan assembly. There must be +12Volts here to stop (yes, stop!) the fan from running. The +12V comes from the engine ECU. If this is open circuit, for some reason, this will cause the fan to run. But my money is on a broken speed controller.

There is an explanation of the whole sordid story over on the Citroen C3 Owners site.

https://citroenc3owners.com/tips-for-an ... t4097.html
TomMar

Post by TomMar »

ozvtr wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 23:18 I assume you have air conditioning? There are a number different types of engine cooling fan assemblies but only one type "reports back" to the the engine ECU.

This type has an integral speed controller in the fan motor. It is fairly common for them to fail. There is a Russian mob who have a repair kit but that's nearly as expensive as replacing the whole fan assembly. There are after market fan assemblies available from auto stores.

You could check the mauve (light purple) wire in the grey three pin connector on the fan assembly. There must be +12Volts here to stop (yes, stop!) the fan from running. The +12V comes from the engine ECU. If this is open circuit, for some reason, this will cause the fan to run. But my money is on a broken speed controller.

There is an explanation of the whole sordid story over on the Citroen C3 Owners site.

https://citroenc3owners.com/tips-for-an ... t4097.html
Thank you for the reply!

Indeed I do have AC in my C2. I checked the voltage on the light purple wire and it is showing 12 volts.
So my best shot at fixing this issue would be to replace the cooling fan?

Regards
TomMar
Attachments
Picture of the connector and voltages.
Picture of the connector and voltages.
ozvtr
Citroen C3 SX
Citroen C3 in bits

Post by ozvtr »

TomMar wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 16:33 So my best shot at fixing this issue would be to replace the cooling fan?
Unfortunately, it looks like yes.
A small consolation is that the fan is typically only used for the air conditioning. I live in Australia and even in the middle of summer where the temperatures average 35'C the cooling fan rarely comes on. The 1.4 engine uses the same radiator as the 1.6 and so has very good cooling. In fact, if you check out some of the forums, the 1.4 (TU3JP engine, C2,C3,Berlingo) owners complain that their fans are broken because the fans don't run! When it's just that the cooling is very efficient.
The entire fan and shroud is available as a replacement part. It includes the wiring loom and relay in the shroud. Be careful of the black power connector, I think this might vary from model to model.
ozvtr
Citroen C3 SX
Citroen C3 in bits

Post by ozvtr »

P.S.

While the fan speed controller is reporting an error, or the 3 pin plug is disconnected, the air conditioning compressor will not engage.
TomMar

Post by TomMar »

ozvtr wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 01:03
TomMar wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 16:33 So my best shot at fixing this issue would be to replace the cooling fan?
Unfortunately, it looks like yes.
A small consolation is that the fan is typically only used for the air conditioning. I live in Australia and even in the middle of summer where the temperatures average 35'C the cooling fan rarely comes on. The 1.4 engine uses the same radiator as the 1.6 and so has very good cooling. In fact, if you check out some of the forums, the 1.4 (TU3JP engine, C2,C3,Berlingo) owners complain that their fans are broken because the fans don't run! When it's just that the cooling is very efficient.
The entire fan and shroud is available as a replacement part. It includes the wiring loom and relay in the shroud. Be careful of the black power connector, I think this might vary from model to model.
Just got a new cooling fan installed and that was indeed the problem. I installed an aftermarket fan that cost me 60€.
Thank you so much for your help, your knowledge saved me 200€ since my local Citroen dealer would've charged me 250€ for the fan+install :shock:

Regards
TomMar