On your Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: On your Bike

Post by CitroJim »

Magic! Good detective work again Neil :D I thought I'd got you with that one but no chance...

Must try harder today ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 04:29 Magic! Good detective work again Neil :D I thought I'd got you with that one but no chance...

Must try harder today ;)
You might have to ride outside of your 3 counties Jim :-D Those geograph contributors have Northhants/Bucks and Beds well covered so far :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 08:23
CitroJim wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 04:29 Magic! Good detective work again Neil :D I thought I'd got you with that one but no chance...

Must try harder today ;)
You might have to ride outside of your 3 counties Jim :-D Those geograph contributors have Northhants/Bucks and Beds well covered so far :-D
That will be done as spring moves into summer Neil ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

Skull wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 09:41 Disc brakes are new to me on a push bike
At least you know how to spell 'brakes', unlike the retailer!
Disc brakes are marvellous. I got rid of my last bike without then a couple of years ago. All 5 bikes in this house are discs now and I shan't go back.
Wookey
(2003-now:1997 Peugeot Expert stealth camper, 1991-2003:1987 C15)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Wookey wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 16:50
Skull wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 09:41 Disc brakes are new to me on a push bike
At least you know how to spell 'brakes', unlike the retailer!
Disc brakes are marvellous. I got rid of my last bike without then a couple of years ago. All 5 bikes in this house are discs now and I shan't go back.

Despite trying hard to, I never got on well with disc brakes on road bikes... All my (road) bikes have traditional caliper brakes - albeit high-end Dura-Ace on my TCR and some very high quality specials on my Propel aero bike... For me, being very light in body and a rider of very light bikes, caliper brakes are significantly lighter than discs and to me that's a benefit... As bikes get heavier I'm less and less able to ride them effectively...

I can see their advantage on MTBs when plugging through deep mud and wet. Something I don't do on my bikes ;)

Just a short ride today... The wind, what there was of it was a bit chilly, unlike yesterday!
strava3704326268516131477.jpg
Much enjoyed :D

Full disclosure - I follow no religion whatsoever but do love churches - hence why they feature in so many of my rides :)
Jim

Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

They are better round town for commuting with traffic too. And towing loads. So yeah the only people resisting are the ones with fancy, unreasonably light, road bikes who travel with nothing but a credit card. And only the skinny ones of those people (such as yourself) are making much sense :-) But you are right, the one advantage of caliper brakes is that they are lighter. But you do have to keep adjusting them otherwise they can be pretty s**t at actual braking.
Wookey
(2003-now:1997 Peugeot Expert stealth camper, 1991-2003:1987 C15)
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 17:24
Just a short ride today... The wind, what there was of it was a bit chilly, unlike yesterday!

Full disclosure - I follow no religion whatsoever but do love churches - hence why they feature in so many of my rides :)
I need a bit of amusement too Jim. A short ride, a black clock, within the 3 Counties, hopefully not to difficult when I get a start on it. :-D

The "on your bike" thread has recently passed 8,000 views, and has a nice crop of regular contributors but as ever more joiners in and posters always welcome.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Wookey wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 17:31 So yeah the only people resisting are the ones with fancy, unreasonably light, road bikes who travel with nothing but a credit card. And only the skinny ones of those people (such as yourself) are making much sense :-) But you are right, the one advantage of caliper brakes is that they are lighter. But you do have to keep adjusting them otherwise they can be pretty s**t at actual braking.
Absolutely so Wookey :) :lol: I fall into the category of having unreasonably light bikes... Many say I'm unreasonably light too :)

I also travel with a phone when out for a ride but yes, not much else apart from my Garmin, a video camera and rear-view radar ;)

And not forgetting a small emergency repair kit in the saddle bag...

Having said that, on a long ride, it's amazing what I can stuff in my jersey pockets when the need arises ;) I must have been a hamster in a previous life :lol:
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Jim is so thin that when he hid behind a rake the rake turned around to see where he went! :D
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Hoe Hoe Hoe :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 18:15 Jim is so thin that when he hid behind a rake the rake turned around to see where he went! :D
I'm obviously doing this bike thing wrong then.... Maybe it's the Coffee and Cake stops I need to cut out? 🤔😁
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 17:24 Just a short ride today... The wind, what there was of it was a bit chilly, unlike yesterday!
..and you have gone over the border I do believe Jim, and ended up in Bedfordshire, at Wootton, and St Mary's Church. :-D
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Spot on sir! I spend a lot of my riding time in Bedfordshire :)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 03:52 Spot on sir! I spend a lot of my riding time in Bedfordshire :)
I have to acknowledge the immense amount of information put together by others on some tremendous resources on the internet. Bedfordshire is particularly well covered. So the go-to resources are:

Geograph...an absolutely brilliant collection of images free to use under Creative commons licence of every kilometre square in the United Kingdom, Ireland and some other countries.

Flickr...and its "groups" The Bedfordshire Churches "pool" has 1000 images.
But the creme de la creme of sites for Bedfordshire churches for organisation and detail of information is this
Screenshot
Screenshot
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Wow! That's magic Neil :D I'll enjoy looking at those sites later :)

Meanwhile, have a look at a photo I've popped in POTD for another church for you to identify ;)
Jim