Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by mickthemaverick »

Am I getting closer? :)
BFTW
BFTW
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I remember most of those, the ones I did were mostly GEC or the Granada version of them. I used to go all over the country to get the best deals. The first ones were 2028 dual standard, then the 2040 single standard, they were all pretty heavy, I didn't have anyone to help me, frequently barked my knuckles on door frames, spent quite a bit of time at the osteopath too, although it must have been good for my bones as I have had a number of quite heavy falls and not broken anything, fell about 7' through the roof of my wood shed several years ago.

The 28" Sony's were the heaviest I think, I had to take my wife with me when I delivered a 32". Mind you the modern ones aren't heavy but very awkward.

Sorry Jim didn't reply to your question, yes I never found a set that wouldn't go in, when I went to the Granada depots I could fit 15 or more colour sets in there, using the front seat and floor as well. Could even get the large cabinet Dynatrons in there, queen Ann leg type.

Before I started colour I could manage with the Morris Minor van. Before the CX's I had a Bedford CA van, minibus actually - but that's also another story.

Peter
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

The 27" 5:4 Sony's were heavy enough. Knew them well, as we had almost a dozen at the school.
For real heavy, our 32" 16:9 Trinitron at home clocked in as an almost immovable lump. All the weight was at the front - an enormously heavy 32" c.r.t. Even the set of in-built speakers were heavy, but sounded good. It always took two of us (and a trolley) to shift that one . . . Maybe the last of the biggies?
Chris
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

In the '90's business declined to the point that I had to get the two chaps that worked for me go, there was just about enough work for me for another couple of years or so but eventually I had to pack up as well. I put a couple of on suite bathrooms on the upstairs bedrooms and we did B&B for a few years, kept the wolf from the door but it meant that if I had to deliver anything really heavy I had to take the wife with me.

I sold a 32" something, might have been a Samsung and the box wouldn't go through the customers door, we had to unbox it outside and just carry it in, good job my wife was quite fit, that was one of the last sets I sold, retired in 2004.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 17:45 Am I getting closer? :)

Yes, that's the one Mick :D Now just imagine it a bit larger with doors!

Another give-away that's the dual standard is the number of tuner buttons and the little edgewise tuning meter.... That picture really brings back some memories :D
Peter.N. wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 18:07 The first ones were 2028 dual standard, then the 2040 single standard, they were all pretty heavy, I didn't have anyone to help me, frequently barked my knuckles on door frames, spent quite a bit of time at the osteopath too, although it must have been good for my bones as I have had a number of quite heavy falls and not broken anything, fell about 7' through the roof of my wood shed several years ago.
Good exercise... Who needs a gym when you have first-generation colour sets to lug around :lol: Proper weightlifting!

It's certainly done your bones good Peter :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My ma in law had one of these when we first got married, I remember watching Pygmalion on it. :)

Last edited by myglaren on 20 Mar 2021, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Video link
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

temp2.png
Far better than most of the offerings on the TV, youtube and its like, as well as its own usual rubbish, is an unbelievable resource of information.

In my search for a picture of my "National Garage" down the side came some fantastic films and features of lets say "Old Consett". Yes of no discernible interest to 99.9% of the UK population, but a fascinating watch for me.
Same for anyone else, in any other location, there is a wealth of local history information.

After 25 minutes of watching this, I have learned and appreciated more about the making of steel in Consett than I ever knew. No mention of red dust and pollution and it finishes with "Above the town a crimson glow lights the evening sky"
temp3.png
Spoiler: show
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 09:16 My ma in law had one of these when we first got married, I remember watching Pygmalion on it. :)

https://youtu.be/jEzz-jvR21c
I believe that's a B18T, I remember them well. My first job in 1954 was at a Hi Fi/ TV shop in Cheapside, on the corner of Bow Lane where the Bow Bells church is. There was a pub down there that had one of these, I remember going to repair it. I came across a few of them later when I was at the local TV shop in Petts wood. Still had 'Mains EHT' wouldn't do you any good if you came in contact with it.

Peter
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The Oxford Estate story.

I saw this advertised in the Evening News I think it was, very cheap (of course) It had been imported from Lebanon, actually a '63 but registered here in '67. The roads must be dreadful over there, the front seats were falling apart, there wasn't a panel that wasn't damaged, and the front suspension was bent on top of that it was LHD. Why did I buy it? because there wasn't a spot of rust on it.

I took a trip to the local breakers yard and found all the bits I needed for very little cost, the old boy at Borough Green used to charge 30/- for practically everything. Found a nice set of leather seats and all the suspension bits and set about reconstructing it, then I started on the body work, no mean feat. After a lot of hammering, filling and spraying it looked quite passable. The dark blue is ordinary cellulose but the light blue was metallic, never sprayed it before. After a couple of years the metallic started coming off, thinking perhaps I hadn't prepared it properly I sprayed it again and after about a year the same thing happened. :(

Apparently it was the paint, never had any trouble with the dark blue. Metallic was in its infancy back then but has improved a lot since. I used "Glasso" paint,, they had a shop on Masons hill in Bromley and I got all my paint from there. The cellulose was about 10/- a pint and the thinners 25/- a gallon.

I bought it a couple of years before we moved to Dorset, the picture is where we lived in Kent, the middle of an orchard. It gave us good service and gave a very nice ride - on crossplies of course! We ran it in Dorset for several years very reliably but the steering box was wearing and didn't know if it would pass the MOT so I went to Brian Richards scrapyard near Bridport, I had an arrangement with him, I let him have a rental TV free of charge and he let me take pretty well all I wanted from the yard - unless it was a car.

I didn't think there was much chance of getting a LHD steering box so I attacked a Wolsely 15/50 and removed the steering box, steering column, peddle box and the nice walnut dashboard, looked very nice on completion. We had it another couple of years and the of course I fitted a diesel engine, not a Perkins but BMC's own 1500, pretty gutless with just 40 bhp and less torque than the starter generated - never had one as bad as that before or since, quite economical though.

Just before we left Kent I bought a proper diesel A55 Cambridge saloon for my wife - but that's another story.
Attachments
PGN53E.jpg
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

brochure on ebay
brochure on ebay
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Why does that one look so much smarter than mine? Because its clean?

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 17:55 The Oxford Estate story.
I do love reading the tales of your car adventures Peter :D

Keep 'em coming!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks Jim. I will try not to overload you. :wink:

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 09:06 Thanks Jim. I will try not to overload you. :wink:
No danger of that Peter ;) :D
Jim

momag46
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 1999 Xantia V6

Post by momag46 »

In the mid 60s I used to got to work on a works double decker and we would get stuck behind a Ford Cortina with a Perkins Diesel engine. I said “What a stupid idea”, not knowing that it would turn out to be the fuel of choice for millions.
Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive