Liveries and Vehicles of the Area Electricity Boards (1947 Electricity Act)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Liveries and Vehicles of the Area Electricity Boards (1947 Electricity Act)

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The 14 for the purposes of the thread are the Area Boards established by the Electricity Act 1947

These are the 14
1 The London Electricity Board. The administrative County of London and parts of Essex, Kent, Middlesex and Surrey.
2 The South Eastern Electricity Board. Parts of Kent, Middlesex, Surrey and Sussex.
3 The Southern Electricity Board. Berkshire, Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, Wiltshire and parts of Buckinghamshire, Dorsetshire, Gloucestershire, Middlesex, Oxfordshire, Somersetshire, Surrey and Sussex.
4 The South Western Electricity Board. Cornwall (including the Isles of Scilly), Devonshire and parts of Dorsetshire, Gloucestershire (including Bristol) and Somersetshire.
5 The Eastern Electricity Board. Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire, Huntingdonshire, the Isle of Ely, Norfolk, Suffolk and parts of Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Essex, Middlesex, Oxfordshire and the Soke of Peterborough.
6 The East Midlands Electricity Board. Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Rutland and parts of Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Derbyshire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, the Soke of Peterborough, Staffordshire and Warwickshire.
7 The Midlands Electricity Board. Herefordshire, Worcestershire and parts of Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire and Warwickshire (including Birmingham).
8 The South Wales Electricity Board. Brecknockshire, Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire, Pembrokeshire, Radnorshire and part of Cardiganshire.
9 The Merseyside & North Wales Electricity Board. Anglesey, Caernarvonshire, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Merionethshire, Montgomeryshire and parts of Cardiganshire, Cheshire, Lancashire (including Liverpool) and Shropshire.
10 The Yorkshire Electricity Board. Parts of Derbyshire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and of the East and West Ridings of Yorkshire.
11 The North Eastern Electricity Board. Durham, Northumberland, the North Riding of Yorkshire and parts of the East and West Ridings of Yorkshire (including York).
12 The North Western Electricity Board. Cumberland, Westmorland and parts of Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire (including Manchester) and of the West Riding of Yorkshire.
13 The South East Scotland Electricity Board. Berwickshire, Clackmannanshire, Fifeshire, Lothians, Peebles, Selkirkshire and parts of Dunbartonshire, Roxburghshire and Stirlingshire.
14 The South West Scotland Electricity Board. Ayrshire, Dumfries-shire, Kirkcudbrightshire, Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire, Wigtownshire and parts of Dunbartonshire, Roxburghshire and Stirlingshire
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Liveries and Vehicles of the Area Electricity Boards (1947 Electricity Act)

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 16:57
11 The North Eastern Electricity Board. Durham, Northumberland, the North Riding of Yorkshire and parts of the East and West Ridings of Yorkshire (including York).
Yes and I have to start off with the good old NEEB. Very characteristic Logo and Orange Liveried Vehicles

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Have to say this site I discovered after putting in a few of the Area Electricity boards, fills in many of the blanks with some excellent pics.
Internet searches for pics tend to find the many collected on the site. So have a look if you are interested in your own old area electricity board old vehicles.
temp2.png
This is the page for the Yorkshire Electricity board with plenty good images of the second brightest livery after my very own NEEB
and one more example of the pics
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Somewhat astonished to see this was used by the Southern 'leccy Board....

"CJH243V was a rare Russian UAZ 452, Sold in the UK as the Trekmaster. SEB used a handful of these vehicles in the early 1980s."
http://eblrs.org/seb/
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

And in Watford we had the good old Eastern Electricity Board:
BFTW
BFTW
BFTW
BFTW
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Not a liveried vehicle, and not the song by Dollar :lol: The Videotex...... ermmm 'thing' used for "interactive selling at the point of sale". SEEBOARD were busy installing 170 Teleputer terminals along with a couple of R2830 Telecentres :-D
Videotex kit
Videotex kit
All you never wanted to know about their Videotex marketing bumpf can be found here:
http://www.aldricharchive.com/downloads ... 20sale.pdf
NewcastleFalcon

I see that Southern Electric also uses Reynolds Boughton 44's,
http://www.onetonlandrover.co.uk/electr ... BK696W.jpg

In military guise here, it didn't enjoy a great reputation

Truck Utility Heavy (TUH) MOD 45114051
Photo: ARMY IMAGE/MOD, OGL v1.0 <http://NationalArchives.gov.uk/doc/open ... version/1/>, via Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

A bit of a diversion, and certainly not to everyone's interest, but a 21 minute long film about the aftermath of the '87 storm down here in the south and how SEEBOARD enlisted the help from just about every other electricity board in the country. Nice shots of all the various companies vans, Land Rovers, and lorries parked up on Brighton seafront in the mornings before deployment to their allocated areas. :) You get 5 points if you collect the set and see one vehicle from every electricity board in the film :lol:

NewcastleFalcon

^^^ Interesting video with plenty of AEB vehicles. Nice bit with the two Irish guys simultaneously climbing the pole with their special "crampons", and dedicated at the end to two workers who came to help from other boards, a reminder of the dangers they faced from the aftermath of the hurricane itself.

This video here is a delightful watch, its in colour and shot with a cine camera, with the associated nostaglic background noise. It takes some time to get to the point but I very much enjoyed the whole thing. Its about bringing electricity to Widecombe in Devon

Regards Neil

PS and here's a screenshot of one of SWEB's vans, I think they went a bit more jazzy and orange like NEEB in later years.
SWEB Van
SWEB Van
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Came across this while looking for a decent pic of a NEEB orange Van.

Now this lot extended their influence even to Milton Keynes :-D , and important enough to make it into the world of nostalgic die-cast models.
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 17 Mar 2021, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

the old and the new
the old and the new
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Other vans making it to diecast, and an electricity inspector who bought his work van at auction.
temp3.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 13:19 ....and an electricity inspector who bought his work van at auction.
Yes its a five minute read Daily Mail Story from 2010...nice pics of the van though in its Midlands Electricity Board livery of cream on top, a red band, and green below...
Yes its a five minute read Daily Mail Story from 2010...nice pics of the van though in its Midlands Electricity Board livery of cream on top, a red band, and green below...
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey