Citroen Relay 2002-2006 Auxiliary Belt(s)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mpc
My Cars: Citroen Relay 2.0 HDi 2002-2006 55 Reg.

Citroen Relay 2002-2006 Auxiliary Belt(s)

Post by mpc »

Hi all,

I've just recently acquired my first Citroen, a H1L1 Relay. It's in good nick (only done 120k miles) except I knew the alternator belt was a bit squeaky. It snapped unfortunately before I got round to changing it.

I would rather replace it myself rather than go to a garage as I know that it's ultimately doable even for an amateur such as myself.
I have the new belt and have figured out as much as using a ratchet to loosen the tensioner, and I thought it would be as simple as slipping the new belt on and fixing the tension.
However there's a second belt?! attached to the pulley at the back that then goes backwards to another pulley further back in the engine bay, and as it sits on the outside, there's no way for me to attach the new alternator belt without first removing the second one.

I've searched high and low and can find very little information about this setup, though I'm led to believe from one post here that the second belt goes to the high-pressure fuel pump or something? (because apparently the pump runs separately whereas other vehicles its part of the timing belt setup). In that one post that I found they provided no further information about how to actually change it, just the usual "I fixed it".
There's no repair manuals that I could find online (I guess I can and should purchase a hard copy at some point, but advice on this now would be great).

So my issue is how do I loosen the second belt and remove it to then fit the alternator belt, and then replace the second belt and tighten it? I'm worried about damaging it if it's something to do with the crankshaft or timing and I do something without locking it etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm confident I could complete the work if I just understood what the parts are and how to undo them.

Thanks in advance.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Citroen Relay 2002-2006 Auxiliary Belt(s)

Post by myglaren »

Welcome aboard :welc:

Be sure it was the belt squealing. It may have been a roller or tensioner bearing. A replacement belt will just wear and snap.

I had a similar noise. First garage failed to diagnose the problem and their cure was to spray belt conditioner on it, worked for a few miles.
Took it to another garage and the owner knew what it was as I drove in. Alternator clutch.
Because it had persisted so long it had ruined the dual-mass crankshaft pulley too.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Do you have a pic of the belt setup? i would guess its a PSA engine rather than Ford being a mk 2? Cant think ive seen a 2 belt setup on this engine. Autodata only shows 2 different setups with & without A/C an both are a single belt setup.
What are the last 8 digits of the VIN so i can check the setup?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It looks like on these where there is AC, the compressor is driven by a separate belt - you can see the two belts in this video about 5 mins in (this one is later, but the parts diag suggests the same setup with a 4 groove pulley bolted on the outside):

I can't find any detail on it in the parts diagram, from the vid there doesn't appear to be a tensioner, so presumably it is a stretch belt. Given it's probably the same age as the alt belt, you might as well cut it off, and fit a new one - you'll need a tool to fit it.
Richard W
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The van in the vid is a mk3 which has the Ford Puma engine which does have 2 belts (the outer is a sretchy).
A 02-06 model is a mk2 which should have a PSA engine which I cant think ive seen a twin belt setup, even with A/C.
A pic of the setup would be ideal.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Yes, realise that is the later one, but here's the part diagram showing the second pulley on a Mk2 2.0 HDi with AC (17), it even shows as 4 groove, and there are four bolts, so it looks pretty much identical to the later one..
pulley.jpg
As you say, a pic of the engine will reveal all!!
Richard W
mpc

Post by mpc »

Hi all thank you for your responses so far!

It definitely looks like the diagram in the previous reponse, although my van doesn't have AC so I don't know what the belt at (17) is for.
DSC_0098.JPG
DSC_0097.JPG
DSC_0096.JPG
The VIN number is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

It looks like a power steering pump & it looks like you can seen the manual adjustment bolt in the first pic. You neen to slacken the pump mounting bolts a turn or two then screw the adjustment bolt to loosen & tighten the belt.
Attachments
19E0C1CE-4BB4-4EC3-B460-FBB75EBA90AE.jpeg
mpc

Post by mpc »

Heya,

Thanks for the help on that. I managed to get the plastic guard off from underneath and access this properly now.

Seems you're right about the power steering pump and the tensioning bolt.

However I've loosened both the bolts - bolt 1 on the picture I've loosened 12 quarter turns, and bolt 2 a half dozen turns til it was loose - but can't figure out how to get the pump to move in order to get the belt off.
DSC_0109.JPG
Any further help would be much appreciated, I'm really keen to be able to get this sorted myself :)
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

You may also need to slacken the bolts that the pump pivots on, they will probably be accessed through the holes in the pulley. Once you slacken the adjustment nut try pulling down on the belt & this should pull the pump inwards to slacken the belt.
mpc

Post by mpc »

Hi just to say a big thanks for all your help, I managed to get both belts changed successfully!

One of the 2 pivot bolts was completely chewed out, but I managed to get around that by undoing the pulley on the crankshaft end.
A lot of work to get the alternator tension pulley into the slack position, but once I got it the belt went on fine with a little slip from a screwdriver.

Hopefully all is good now for the next X thousand miles, I'm sure I'll call on you guys for something in the future :)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Well done, always satisfying when you get these jobs done!
Richard W