C5 Ser.1 passenger door won't open

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aramsay
My Cars: '02 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2HDi
'97 Citroen XM VSX 2.1TD
'63 Hillman Imp.....

C5 Ser.1 passenger door won't open

Post by aramsay »

I have an '02 / Ser.1 C5 and the front passenger door won't open.....when unlocked, either from inside
or outside.

About a year ago, it started playing up and sometimes not opening from the inside, so had to put the window
down and open from outside. The handle has very little resistance, and no "clicks".....

Any suggestions what has gone wrong, and how I might open the door to strip it for any work ?

Thanks.

Alan.
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: C5 Ser.1 passenger door won't open

Post by wheeler »

When you operate the central locking can you hear the motors operating? If you can’t try thumping on the outer door skin when operating the locking, sometimes this just gives it that extra lease of life to get the door open.
If the motors are operating you will need to get the door panel off to have a look what’s going on & check rods/cables are still attached etc. If you cant get the door open you will need to remove the seat to get the panel off im afraid.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Also, try locking the vehicle with one door deliberately left open. The bounce back of the locking mechanism can sometimes loosen a stubborn lock mechanism off.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
aramsay
My Cars: '02 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2HDi
'97 Citroen XM VSX 2.1TD
'63 Hillman Imp.....

Post by aramsay »

Thanks for the suggestions.

When I eventually get the door open and stripped, is there anything that can be cleaned / freed-off,
or is it replacement job ?

One thing I should have mentioned....on the driver's door now, when you pull the handle, nothing seems to a happen sometimes. I normally have to push in the top of the door-frame, and pull handle at same time. It's as if the catch the handles operate are worn..... This was also an initial symptom on the passenger side.

Alan.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

On my current C5 the driver door played up a bit (and, on a couple of occasions, wouldn't open from the outside). Using the tube the can came with, I sprayed some 3 in 1 oil into the lock (and, when it opened, the latch mechanism). So far she has not done it again.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Mine does the same at times, a squirt of 3in1 oil is usually enough to fix it, I take out one of the fixing screws and squirt through there.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Same here.
Had that several times over the years.
A good squirt of holy water has always fixed it.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
GeorgeMeekins1993
My Cars: Honda Jazz

Post by GeorgeMeekins1993 »

Maybe this knowledge will be useful for someone and this worked for me:
The first thing you need to do is remove the door upholstery you need to use a little strength and a foil, then unlock the clip from the plastic mounting the handle cassette. After unlocking move it towards the middle pillar or towards the front.
After unlocking, remove the cassette handle, then unscrew the torx screw holding the black plastic lock housing. From the cassette on the outside of the vehicle gently prise the plastic and you can see in the upper part of the lock levers and now you have to push the first one from the top towards the interior of the vehicle.