C5 X7 - Dead Battery - Locked out

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chalkhills
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: C5 Mk1, Saxo, 106

C5 X7 - Dead Battery - Locked out

Post by chalkhills »

Hi - Anyone help?
Battery is flat and I can't access with the door key locks - they just turn 90 degrees each way and nothing happens.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: C5 X7 - Dead Battery - Locked out

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Try a shot of 3 in 1 oil into the locks (using a pipe to get INTO the lock and not get deflected by the weather guard). Give it a few minutes to soak in, and then try with the key. Poundland do small spray cans of 3 in 1 oil with the pipe mentioned.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Are you sure you tried turning the key in the lock and then tried opening the handle then try it the other way? Don't expect all the doors to open - but it should open the driver's door.

My tip is in these sorts of conditions where the car is not being used for a week or longer in these sorts of conditions is to move the SHUNT fuse from Customer mode to Park mode, that will switch off more of the power consuming features when the car is locked. Just remember to move it back when the car will be used for normal commuting.

I know it doesn't help now though. Did you deadlock the car (2 presses on the key fob)? If so, the doors won't open via the internal door handles if this is the case as these handles are disconnected with deadlocking.

As the bonnet release is covered by the passenger door on the X7, there is no way to get to that either from the inside.

I'm wondering whether if you leave the car until things warm up, the battery may provide enough power to unlock the doors.

Some other suggestions here:

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/car/89ilv- ... onnet.html
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
chalkhills
(Donor 2021)

Post by chalkhills »

Yep - tried both ways - it doesn't feel as if anything is seized or slipping - both locks turn 90 degrees each way. I would have thought the drivers side at least would operate a mechanical lock as opposed to the electrical central locking switch only - anyone know if this is the case? I know my Mk1 C5 is definately a mechanical unlock mechanism.
Re. the deadlocking - I've no idea if I've double pressed it or not - it was a couple of months back (broke my ankle!)

I'm guessing the only option may be to jack it up (on the loose hardcore slope!), get undertray off and try and reach the (bonnet release) outer cable to give it a tug.
Anyone know if this is possible?
Or is there any accessable permanent +ve points (eg starter connection) I could get external supply to?
Thanks

Dave
Last edited by chalkhills on 14 Feb 2021, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If the key has not been used in the lock for a long while parts can stick, so the barrel can turn without engaging the mechanical parts, which is why I suggested the 3 in 1 oil (not normal WD40, which is a water dispersant).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
chalkhills
(Donor 2021)

Post by chalkhills »

I'll go give them a squirt just now - Thanks. . . . .
chalkhills
(Donor 2021)

Post by chalkhills »

Hi Hell Razor - I know what you mean about the barrels turning round and round without engaging - my old Mk1 C5 used to do just that but these lock feel completely different and don't appear to be seized or stiff - as I said both locks turn against a spring 90 degrees each way without engaging a lock mechanism at all.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I know when I had my battery off to charge it in the house, I locked the car manually using the key - a single turn in both front doors - I also remember using the physical key in the rear doors (using the special key access port after removing the plug near the child lock) to lock those manually.

So it should work - the only reason I can think for it not to is if the car has been deadlocked using the fob - maybe that has affected the keys ability to unlock it with the physical key - but I can't be certain.

There was some suggestions in that article I linked to near the end that talked about providing power to the battery via the alternator or starter - make sure you read the article to the end.

As far as the bonnet catch is concerned, there are 2 wires. The first is triggered from the bonnet release handle (now hidden by the passenger door) which releases the bonnet from the lock and the second pull on the plastic tab obviously releases the bonnet fully. Whether you can even get to the secondary wire with a long screwdriver with the bonnet unreleased at the first stage I can't say. I know it was a job when I had to replace the bonnet release wire and tab a few winters ago when the plastic tab became brittle and snapped. I managed to release it with a long screwdriver - but only after the bonnet has been released from inside first of all.

I think your best bet is from underneath - but do support the car in case the suspension drops suddenly - which it can do! Once you take of the under tray protection, you may see a way.

Have a look at my brief video of the second wire operating after I replaced the catch - it may give you a visual clue:

Marc
chalkhills
(Donor 2021)

Post by chalkhills »

Thanks Mark - that really helpful! It looks like there is a reasonable amount of room around the engine to get to stuff from below.

Dave
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's what I thought - one thing about the X7 is that on these engine bays there's room for a barbecue in there.

Marc