On your Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Re: On your Bike

Post by Timmo »

after a minor panic and the thought i forgot to check the sizing, i cancelled the pair i had ordered from amazon, no way my foot would fit in the size quoted! ooops, found a nother promising looking pair then discovered they require a D cell battery! how on earth they stay up is beyond me! i shall continue my search forthwith! ;-)
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have just looked on ebay and found these. I hope they are worth consideration? You will need to get rechargeable batteries, but they can be charged via USB;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Hea ... SwoJBfmoMP
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Timmo wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 07:47 I shall have a nose at the heated socks, the annoying thing is that it's Just the toes, rest of the foot is warm, they get to the painfully cold state if I've not stopped at all,
Timmo, I take it you've tried wearing two pairs of socks, one thin thermal inner pair of merino or silk and one outer thicker pair?

I wear a pair of silk liner gloves under thick and well-insulated gloves on cold mornings when running and it more or less keeps the Reynauld's under control... My fingers are a bit tingly after two hours of running in temperatures around zero but still functional and not painful...

I don't notice the cold in my left hand fingers now as due to nerve damage incurred during my bike accident last year I have no feeling in them! One positive aspect ;) :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 17:52 I don't notice the cold in my left hand fingers now as due to nerve damage incurred during my bike accident last year I have no feeling in them! One positive aspect ;) :lol:
Not if it is due to reduced circulation Jim, you could get frostbite or worse.

Have a word with your daughters about it.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

One problem is that if you do not feel pain in parts of your body then it can take far longer for them to heal if they become injured. Pain is part of the body warning system.

Decades ago my Mum had problems with her knees, and they were not healing. She was advised to see a homeopathic doctor (in Germany they are managed and respected), who injected her knees with mistletoe extract. It hurt like hell (I was being polite; I won't say what she said!), but it then got her healing processes working. It must have worked, as she ran (and finished) the London Marathon in 2000!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 18:15 Not if it is due to reduced circulation Jim, you could get frostbite or worse.
I have my other normally functioning hand for reference Steve and I take great care to avoid any injuries to the duff one, especially when working on cars, being fully aware of the risks having no feeling can bring...
myglaren wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 18:15 Have a word with your daughters about it.
Done! And discussed with the medical profession... Something I must live with. They did say there was a chance the damaged nerve may regrow but in 11 months that's not happened...

In truth it's rarely a problem. I'm just thankful it's my left hand rather than my right :)
Hell Razor5543 wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 18:23 injected her knees with mistletoe extract. It hurt like hell (I was being polite; I won't say what she said!), but it then got her healing processes working. It must have worked, as she ran (and finished) the London Marathon in 2000!
That sounds like some crackingly good stuff James :) I once ran a marathon with a slightly iffy knee and it was hard going... Top kudos to your mum for running the LM, especially after all that with her knees :D

Did the mistletoe extract bring about a permanent resolution to her knee issues?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The mistletoe extract did work, as the pain it caused kick started her healing processes (it appears to be an astringent). Before then she had quite some time where her knees gave her problems. She ran the London Marathon about ten years later (and finished in around six hours forty minutes).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's an excellent effort James :D Congratulate her when you next see her ;)

Maybe that explains why my knees can hurt a little initially and then feel fine once running and start hurting again if I don't run 🤔
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Sorry, wrong thread, b***** phone!!
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 11 Feb 2021, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 05:50 The mistletoe extract did work, as the pain it caused kick started her healing processes (it appears to be an astringent). Before then she had quite some time where her knees gave her problems. She ran the London Marathon about ten years later (and finished in around six hours forty minutes).
Does she get strange men falling at her feet and kissing her knees James?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

myglaren wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 10:37
Hell Razor5543 wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 05:50 The mistletoe extract did work, as the pain it caused kick started her healing processes (it appears to be an astringent). Before then she had quite some time where her knees gave her problems. She ran the London Marathon about ten years later (and finished in around six hours forty minutes).
Does she get strange men falling at her feet and kissing her knees James?
Well, she does get strange men popping around every so often (well, I see her every week when she is in the area, and nobody ever said I was normal!!!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Helrsiser - they were what I looked at on amazon, sizing was on the smaller side, will double check how bike my foot is in inches....

Jim - Yes indeedy, merino liners under waterproof socks, either sealskinz thermal or std. Or the newer dexshell ultralights, as the sealskinz added a good size + on the foot!
Almost temped to get the old shimano spd sandals to wear with the waterproof socks! 😱😬

'58 C2 Code
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

15 seconds of entertainment

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

haha thats ace!!

'58 C2 Code
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

:lol: that's sweet :D

I've had something similar happen climbing Cheddar Gorge a few years back... I and several other cyclists were passed on the steepest bit by a middle-aged woman riding a sit up and beg bike with a wicker basket on the front whilst riding the Mendip Sportive :shock: :lol:

She was assumed to be a local and used to riding the gorge, likely on a daily basis... She certainly was a hot topic at the next feed station...
Jim